What is Win 2K pro command to edit startup ?

Help,can anyone help me?What is Win 2K pro command to
edit startup ? What is the funky spelling - wincfg.exe.
I am looking for the compatiable command to msconfig.

Thanks a bunch
3 answers Last reply
More about what command edit startup

    Winipcfg.exe was Windows 98 now use MsConfig.exe to fix this:

    Troubleshooting boot issues can be a bit difficult to handle. Below is some
    information on a tool called Msconfig. Below that are some links
    containing detailed descriptions of the tabs within the program and their
    functions and boot-up troubleshooting techniques.

    If you are unfamiliar with Msconfig it is a program created to help
    diagnose boot issues. The Msconfig file is a simple stand-alone program so
    it runs on any computer; you just have to get the correct version, the
    win98 version works in win98 and NT 4 and some early versions of win2000
    the XP version works on XP and later versions of 2000. With XP you can run
    Msconfig from the Start - Run then type Msconfig. However with 2000 you
    will need to download a copy of the Msconfig utility from either a Windows
    98 CD or XP CD and double click the executable (it has a GUI so no need for
    command window).

    The following are links to help describe the Msconfig utility and how to
    troubleshoot with it:

    - Description of Msconfig and it's use

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-
    us/msconfig_usage.mspx

    - Description of all the tabs and their use

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us
    /Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmb_t
    ol_dxth.asp

    - Troubleshooting boot issues with the msconfig utility

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310560

    Best Regards,
    Jody Atkins
    Microsoft Online Support Engineer
    from your issue.
    Let me know if you have any other questions or if I can help.

    --------------------

    Jeremiah Graham wrote:
    > Help,can anyone help me?What is Win 2K pro command to
    > edit startup ? What is the funky spelling - wincfg.exe.
    > I am looking for the compatiable command to msconfig.
    >
    > Thanks a bunch

    http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk/downloads/msconfig.zip

    Unzip the files and place them in your system path

    then type msconfig at a cmd prompt

    --
    Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

    Jeremiah Graham wrote:
    > Help,can anyone help me?What is Win 2K pro command to
    > edit startup ?

    Regedit.exe.

    > What is the funky spelling - wincfg.exe.
    > I am looking for the compatiable command to msconfig.
    >
    > Thanks a bunch

    MSConfig is/was a Win98/Me utility, brought back in WinXP, which
    is also targeted at the home consumer market. There is no equivalent
    utility included with Win95/WinNT/Win2K.

    In most cases, one need only open the offending program and
    deselect the option to "display icon in the system tray" or to "start
    when Windows starts."

    To view the list of your start up programs, look in the
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and
    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up
    folders, and in the system registry, primarily in the
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys. These can
    also be viewed, if I remember correctly, by right-clicking My
    Computer, selecting "Manage" and expanding System Tools-- System
    Information -- Software Environment -- Startup Programs. To prevent
    any of them from starting at login, you'll have to delete shortcuts
    from the startup folder(s) and/or edit the registry. I should point
    out that, in order to make such system modifications requires one to
    have administrative privileges to the machine in question. I should
    also point out that one should not even consider editing the registry
    unless he is fully confident that he knows exactly what is going to
    happen as a result of each and every change.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having
    both at once. - RAH

Command Prompt Msconfig Microsoft Windows