Need help on older CPU comparison

Sailing_Nut

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
I've been digging around the interactive CPU charts and can't seem to find the two CPUs I'm trying to compare.

I have two old Mobo + CPU combinations that I'm trying to decide which one is more powerful so I use the faster of the two.

Here are the two that I have (as reported by CPU-Z):

AMD Athlon (Thunderbird) 1.2GHz Socket A
Intel Celeron (Willamette) 1.7GHz Socket 478

Any help is appreciated!

Sailing_Nut

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Thanks for the link.

I had checked out that version, but could not find the Celeron 1.7 in there and didn't think the P4 1.7 is an accurate comparison.

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Yeah, those ARE older. If I had to guess I'd say the AMD would be better. I remember the earlist P4 was absolute junk, slower clock for clock than P3, so that crippled celeron can't be very good. Is there no way you can test them?

Sailing_Nut

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Testing them would involve my lazy butt doing some work! :D

I suppose that would be the best way to go. It will just be a bit tricky because I don't have complete sets of HW. I'll have to swat stuff around.

Now that I think of it, that's probably best so that I'm only testing the CPU and not the other components.

Thanks for the input! I'll find some time and test them out.

BTW, What is a good free benchmark suite to run?

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Hard to say, but take into account that to relate that celeron (P4 celeron) to a P4, you roughly have to multiply it's GHz rating by 0.75 (25% less performance than a P4) so you end up with about a 1.3GHz P4, that is worse than a 1.3GHz P3... Roughly speaking, those CPUs should perform more or less equally but the celeron is one of the hottest chips (being a Willamette core) and in gaming, the Athlon should still hold a slight edge.