Installing Win2K Pro on AOpen AK77-600Max

Can you guys offer any help on this subject. I can install 16Bit windows
95/98/ME with no probs. But if i try to upgrade to 2k Pro or XP Pro I get
failures at different points;

2k Pro copies setup files but complains about files not copying correctly,
but they do go away after a few "enter" presses, but on first 2k boot Hive
is corrupt or missing.

(i have tracked the exact error to a knowledge base article that covers
Promise ATA66 controler, this mobo has a Promise FastTrak SATA controler on
board but its disabled, could this still be causing the problem?)

Win XP Pro complains just the same about files but again with enter key
presses the files will copy over, the pc will reboot as expected and starts
to detect devices, when it reaches aprrox 45% it dies with the message that
there was a critical internal error and set-up can not continue, the error
has no number or any clues as to what it might be so i can offer no further
information.

I have already tried 3 different brands of RAM from 3 different computers,
and on my previous mobo there was no probs with HDD's or CD\DVD RW's. I have
tried to disable everything on the mobo so the only thing that's active out
of the optional BIOS settings are IDE controllers, ACPI, and AGP.

As a final nosey question - how come 16bit windows dont throw all these
errors but XP and 2K do??

Thanks for any help offered

TpwUK

dl

Have you tried a bios update?
Disconected all other extra hw, prior to install?
32bit win is far more hardware 'picky'

"DL" <dl@spoofmail.nothere> wrote in message
> Have you tried a bios update?

yup latest BIOS flashed and happy

> Disconected all other extra hw, prior to install?

ohhhh yes, has been for 3 days now :¬)

> 32bit win is far more hardware 'picky'

so i see ;¬(

Thanks for the response - I just really need to explore all avenues before i
take the mobo back and declare it as a bag of s**t, and an expensive one at
that

TpwUK
<snipped>

dl

If new mobo, double check all connectors/settings, use a single memory stick
(if 64mb or larger)
Leave only monitor, keyb,mouse,cd,graphics,hd connected.
Do not upgrade o/s use win2k cd, if it complains about no upgrade o/s pop
prev o/s cd in, then continue. (use clean install method, ie delete
partitions before recreating etc)
Win2k can be particularly memory picky, if poss check yr memory with a known
win2k sys.
Check mobo site, re compatible memory.