Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

SATA Windows install problems

Last response: in Storage
Share
March 5, 2007 2:19:44 AM

Just built a new machine and ordered an OEM Seagate SATA HDD, however when I goto install windows, I get an Unmounted Boot volume error that I cannot get past.
I created the floppy disk from my motherboard's cd.
Hit F6 during the install to specify drivers for the HDD; It took them and recognized the proper size of the HDD (300GB).
I formatted the partition with both NTFS and a 'quick' NTFS format (both with same results).
I was able to install the setup files for windows, do the reboot and bring up the screens where you input timezone, serial code, etc. and install everything through there - however this is far as I can go, as when it tries to bootup I get the Unmounted Boot volume error screen.

On the flip side, if I dont install the drivers for SATA it will recognize the HDD as a 125GB'ish drive and I can install/run windows without a problem. If I pull up windows off of my old drive and have the SATA drive connected, windows will recognize it as a 296GB drive (formatted). This is my first time with a SATA drive, so any help would be great.

Specs;
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS 320GB
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz
GIGABYTE GA-M57SLI-S4 Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB DDR2 800 Dual Channel
BFG Tech BFGR76256GTOCE GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 (havent SLI'd yet).
a b G Storage
March 5, 2007 11:45:52 AM

You don't need the F6 drivers for SATA. Look at this article about the limits of your hard drive. You need Windows XP SP1 and maybe a Bios update:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303013
March 5, 2007 1:18:40 PM

Quote:
You don't need the F6 drivers for SATA. Look at this article about the limits of your hard drive. You need Windows XP SP1 and maybe a Bios update:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303013

The registry value that is described in that article doesnt exist - I looked both before and after installing SP2.
The BIOS recognizes the HDD as a 320GB SATA drive, would I still have to update the BIOS?
I dont understand why I wouldnt need to install drivers through F6 when the Mobo manual instructs me to do so.
Thanks.

EDIT: Checked Gigagbytes site; only BIOS updates are for CPU Fan regulation, DDR compatibility and CPU ID's. So nothing relavent.
Related resources
March 5, 2007 2:12:10 PM

Quote:
Just built a new machine and ordered an OEM Seagate SATA HDD, however when I goto install windows, I get an Unmounted Boot volume error that I cannot get past.
I created the floppy disk from my motherboard's cd.
Hit F6 during the install to specify drivers for the HDD; It took them and recognized the proper size of the HDD (300GB).
I formatted the partition with both NTFS and a 'quick' NTFS format (both with same results).
I was able to install the setup files for windows, do the reboot and bring up the screens where you input timezone, serial code, etc. and install everything through there - however this is far as I can go, as when it tries to bootup I get the Unmounted Boot volume error screen.

On the flip side, if I dont install the drivers for SATA it will recognize the HDD as a 125GB'ish drive and I can install/run windows without a problem. If I pull up windows off of my old drive and have the SATA drive connected, windows will recognize it as a 296GB drive (formatted). This is my first time with a SATA drive, so any help would be great.

Specs;
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS 320GB
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz
GIGABYTE GA-M57SLI-S4 Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB DDR2 800 Dual Channel
BFG Tech BFGR76256GTOCE GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 (havent SLI'd yet).


sata hdd are not different from IDE hdd. they are still IDE, but the interface is serial instead of parallel. The OS don't see the drive as such, it sees the controller, which in turn, show it the drive.

If main BIOS sees the hdd, then the OS will. So, if drive is listed in main BIOS, not in RAID BIOS, then no drivers will be necessary. The serial interface brought some more feature over the old ATA. Feature such as hot swapping or NCQ. That's what drivers is for, enabling these features to the OS. The driver provided with the OS only use the normal ATA set of command, so the extended feature won't be available.

In your case, the fact that the drive size is correctly seen with with the driver but not without it is because of 2 things.

The Windows disc you are using is the plain XP, without any service pack.
The drivers simply ad the missing part to the OS to see the correct size.

At this point, since it is not advisable to have one partition the whole size of the drive for an OS drive, then you could make a smaller partition (maybe 50-60 gigs) in which you'll install the OS, application and other file the won't be critically lost in case of an OS crash. Keeping valuable data (backup still needed for very important files) or multimedia files on the other partition will ensure that if you have to reformat the drive, only the OS partition will be affected and you won't loose the other one.

In order to see the whole drive, you need at least SP1. You could slipstream SP2 with your current disc (google) to have sp2 integrated to your install, so the drive will show its full size.

And it is notmal for 320gb hdd to have 298gb once initialized and formatted.
March 5, 2007 2:44:29 PM

Yea, in any version of winxp before SP1, the max hard drive size is 130gb. Ive heard about that issue a lot, just get SP1.

Because of the differences in how hard drive manufacturers and international standards term one gigabyte, you will never get "what you paid for." I have a 80gb hd that shows up as 75, a 160 that shows up as 150, a 500 that shows up as 465. That is completely normal and should be expected when buying any device with digital storage.

Also, SLI'ing your 7600gt wont increase performance as much as just getting a single X1950PRO or a 7900gs. (well the 7600gt SLI is a little faster than a 7900gs, but the latter is only one card.)
March 5, 2007 5:03:17 PM

@ Pat; Thanks for the info, I'll try out slipstreaming SP2 and see if that alleviates the problem. Do I want to use the driver disk with sp2 slipstreamed or just bypass the F6 option? As far as the GB discrepensies I understand that, I just wanted to state that windows recognized it as its 'proper' size when formatted.

@ Bill; Yea the budget didnt really allow for much when I purchased this system and going SLI was never my real intention, its more of a place holder at the moment.


Again, thanks for the help guys, I'll try this tonight after work.
March 5, 2007 5:28:42 PM

Quote:
@ Pat; Thanks for the info, I'll try out slipstreaming SP2 and see if that alleviates the problem. Do I want to use the driver disk with sp2 slipstreamed or just bypass the F6 option? As far as the GB discrepensies I understand that, I just wanted to state that windows recognized it as its 'proper' size when formatted.

@ Bill; Yea the budget didnt really allow for much when I purchased this system and going SLI was never my real intention, its more of a place holder at the moment.


Again, thanks for the help guys, I'll try this tonight after work.


The F6 option is not necessary right now, since you don't have a RAID array. Let windows install with the provided drivers, and later, once XP is installed, you could install them with chipset drivers if you need the extra feature.
March 6, 2007 12:09:27 PM

I just had the same thing happen to me and my computer that I put together lastnight. Is there anyway of fixing this without reformatting and installing windows again?
March 6, 2007 9:58:17 PM

Quote:
I just had the same thing happen to me and my computer that I put together lastnight. Is there anyway of fixing this without reformatting and installing windows again?


If you are talking about the 127 gb partition, you can use partitionning application, or slipstream sp2 (google) to your existing xp disk to make a new one and reinstall
March 7, 2007 1:17:26 AM

Quote:
I just had the same thing happen to me and my computer that I put together lastnight. Is there anyway of fixing this without reformatting and installing windows again?


You can download the standalone installer of SP2 at 266mb. This way you dont have to slipstream SP2 (which doesnt even work with OEM discs anyway.)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...

gl
March 7, 2007 2:36:33 AM

You can go ahead and instal Windows XP on the smaller partition, then update to SP2 and install a second partition to fill the empty space.

And like the other guys said, as long as the controller is not in RAID mode you don't need the F6 driver.
March 8, 2007 2:01:28 PM

Yeah I ended up getting Partition Magic 8 pro and using it to reallocate the unused drive space that I had. Fixed it right up in under 30 seconds I was really impressed. :-)
!