Looking for some ideas......

CrazyIrishman

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Hey guys,

This question has probably been asked more times that you want to remember but here goes anyway!

I'm looking to put an upgrade together but its taken alot longer than had been planned. The computer I have now is a mutt built by a friend of mine some time ago. Although its now ancient when compared to current computers it still works for what I use it for. Its comparable to having a pair of shoes that you really like and fit like a glove but you realize that sooner or later you'll need another pair.

The current build has:

Mobo: ECS socket A (forget model-no longer on website)
RAM: 1 gig Corsair Value Select DDR400
Video card: Integrated w/mobo
Cpu: AMD XP 1.47 Ghz 1700+
Psu: 400 w (forget the brand)
HDD: Maxtor 80 GB and Western Digital 40GB
Optical drive: Lite-On CR-ROM
#2 NEC DVD-RW ND-3520a and one floppy drive

Although I know the future for AMD is AM2 until they change the socket type next week or month, I had thought about going with socket 939 for a few reasons.

1) Total budget (around $650.00 or less)

2) Cost (an OEM Athlon 64 2.4 Ghz 4000+ L2 1MB San Diego is $75.00 vs. $229.00 for the Athlon X2 5200 2.6 Ghz L2 2x 1MB Windsor) I don't plan on overclocking but I won't rule it out.

3) RAM (already have DDR instead of DDR2)

4) Useage (surf web, older games, burn occassional DVD) Favorite games are flight sims.

5) Would like to keep it about 4-5 years before rebuild. I've had Socket A about 5 years. Don't have the bucks to build a rig every year.

Originally, I had wanted to go with the 4000+ about 8 months ago. As luck would have it I missed the CPU sale on FX-55's by NewEgg too. Since the price for the 4000+ has dropped so low its hard not to notice it. A few days ago I was checking the AMD X2 5200 2.6 CPU out and the price jumped $10.00 while I was on the page!

This is what I was thinking of:

CPU: AMD Athlon 2.4 4000+
Mobo: undecided between ABIT or ASUS (SLI or not,little $$$ diifference)
RAM: Already have DDR400
Video card: PNY or EVGA 7900GS
PSU: Thermaltake 550w
HDD: keep the two that I have. change to SATA later
Optical drives: reuse the Lite-on CD-ROM, NEC DVD-RW, and floppy
Case: undecided (don't know whether to buy one or reuse the old one)

I thought about using a RAIDMAX Smilodon or a Thermaltake Xaser Damier case. I want a case with 5 or 6 external 5.25 bays so extra HHD cooling can be added if necessary and a fan control w/ temp display can be added if it doesn't come with the case. That about sums it up. I don't think I forgot anything.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated!

THX

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Your needs will limit you to older motherboards but no reason that won't last several years. You will want 2 IDE ports to support your 4 units. You want 4 ddr slots to support 2 gigs( taking you have 2 sticks of 512 mb ddr40 RAM). A power supply with 20A on the +12v Rail and 500W or so total (your choice looks ok) If the old case will take all your parts, go ahead and use it.

CrazyIrishman

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Hi Big AL,

Thanks for your advice about the IDE ports. Since 939 is obviously on the way out, the choices available for a decent mobo are not only slim but they are hard to find. Tomorrow I'll recheck the specs to make sure they are there on the board. I'm fairly certain either board has them but I'd rather be 100% sure.

NewEgg is supposed to get more motherboards in starting Monday the 5th but I don't know for how long or if the price is going to fluctuate like the CPU's. They did have a FX-57 still listed online though its out of stock at the moment for $299.00, then it shot up to $419.00! I guess its their way of trying to get customers to go after the AM2 stuff.

Just to make sure I wasn't shooting myself in the foot, I rechecked prices on changing to a AM2 mobo and X2 CPU. Right now I'm unable to make up the difference in cost of the AM2 parts. If I was going to do another build in 12 to 18 months then 939 wouldn't make much sense. With keeping one build longer than 18 months AM2 may have evolved into something else altogether.

Have you or your friends had any experience with Raidmax, Cooler Master, or Thermaltake cases? I was thinking earlier that if I bought a new case then this old AMD would stay together and be able to work in an emergency.

THX

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
I know what you are saying when working with legacy parts. Your reasoning is sound and yes I would keep the computer together.
I know nothing about cases, I always buy the generic crap. I just got a Lian-LI and an Antec but those are not built yet. Someone will have the cases you are looking at.

CrazyIrishman

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Hey Big AL,

I looked at Antec and Lian-Li until I settled on two . When I first got the bug to do my own build (my first,btw)I had settled on a Lian-Li case. It had everything I wanted including a reasonable price. At this time in the initial stages of putting a game plan together nothing was finalized.

Now that I'm finally ready to build (a bit late perhaps), I'm unable to find the case I wanted. Thats what I get for thinking a popular model of case will be in production a while!lol

A few days ago I settled on two picks that are under a $100.00 and have nice features. There are other cases that I like just as much but they are out of my budget. I want to get this critter complete and running within the next two weeks providing I can get all the stuff I need.

For the most part I like the new products that are made available to us. What I wonder about though, is changing parts just for the sake of change! I was taught "if it ain't broke,don't fix it"!

Truth be told, I broke that rule a few times when I was building motorcycles, especially custom bikes! LOL.

With a bit of luck maybe I can get my mobo ordered today. The mobo looks to be the only roadblock to getting done (so far that is).

Two of the three mobo's are out of stock but one is due in today. The three I'm considering are :

1)ABIT KN8 SLI
2)ABIT KN8 ULTRA
3)EVGA 123-K8 NF47

Maybe one of the ABIT's will be back in stock . All three have 2 IDE ports and SATA.

THX