Win2000 reinstall hangs up when registering

I seem to have downloaded some nasty spyware, etc. that
messed up my Win2000 so badly I couldn't load any repair
programs or access the web. I tried to reinstall my
Win2000 (to change configurations, not clean reinstall)
but it now hangs up at the end when it tries to register
components. It no longer boots w/o the CD, but won't
finish with it. Safe mode doesn't seem to work either. I
have data on the hard drive that I really don't want to
lose. What can I do?
3 answers Last reply
More about win2000 reinstall hangs registering

    I would recommend you try a parallel install this will give you a new
    install in a seperate directory from your old OS, but give you access to
    all the files on your system. This KB will give you a step by step on how
    to do a parallel. Word to the wise: Make sure you select "Keep current File
    System Intact". This will also prevent any other spyware from starting from
    your old system. Once you get the parallel don backup your data and then
    format your drive and do a clean install.

    266465 How to perform a parallel installation of Windows 2000 or Windows
    Server
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=266465

    Elijah Landreth [MSFT]
    Microsoft Server Setup Team

    Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/directory
    Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp
    See the Windows NT Homepage at http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

    NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
    others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
    more timely response. Thank you!

    This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
    implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
    merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
    The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
    not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of
    Microsoft.
    or opinions of Microsoft.

    I tried your suggestion several times but Setup doesn't
    seem to respond to Esc key. Setup just continues with
    normal installation until it hangs up on the final steps,
    registering components. What can I do?
    Ron

    I also have this problem
    for the same exact reasons, spyware!!!