Workgroup vs. Domain

Is there any Microsoft articles or other materials that details the pros and
cons of using a Workgroup or domain.

Thanks,
Todd
1 answer Last reply
More about workgroup domain

    Hello Todd

    Just about any of the MCSE Study Guide, or networking material out there talk about workgroup vs
    Domain. It really comes down to two things as to which you use:

    1. # of users
    2. Centralized admin vs decentralized

    Typically a workgroup is limited to a small number of machines...the recommended max I remember is
    10 machines. Workgroups require a lot of admin because each machine has to have a user account
    and password for each person that needs access to its resources. The upside is in cost...you can get
    away with standard PC's and don't need specialized server machines.

    My preference is the domain. Here you set your users up once and throught the use of groups and
    permissions, give tham access. The is only one username and password to worry about and that
    resides on your domain controller. Every users is able to login to any machine (unless restricted)
    without the need to place an account on each box.

    Hope this helps a bit

    David Hancock
    Microsoft Server Setup Team

    Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/directory

    Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp

    See the Windows NT Homepage at http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

    NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
    others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
    more timely response. Thank you!

    This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
    implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
    merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

    The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
    not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of Microsoft.

Domain Microsoft Windows