Sign in with
Your question

E6300 L2 Cache 2MB vs. Core 2 Duo E6320 L2 Cache 4MB

Last response: in Overclocking
March 5, 2007 7:08:46 AM

Okay seriously will I notice a BIG difference if I had a E6320 over a E6300.. Can one really notice any difference between 2MB of Cache difference, can games, or applications really benefit from the difference?

Or is there something else new being implimented into the E6320 other than cache that I don't know about?

I just purchased a E6300, but I can take it back anytime I have 15 days .. LOL :D  , but I kinda don't want to ... Should I or Shouldn't I .. I hear the price is about the same for both chips provided when the other comes out next month or so ..
March 5, 2007 9:05:13 AM

The usual figure bandied about is 5-10% performance increase, but it depends slightly on your RAM. Cache speeds up your system because it runs about 5x faster than your memory, and so the CPU puts its best guess at what you're going to need from the memory in the near future into cache. But as you've got fairly good memory anyway, the peformance benefit would be nearer to 5 than 10 I'd predict.

As far as I understand it, the e6300 and e6320 are the same chip, but half the cache is disabled in the e6300. One would expect them to perform (i.e. oc) equally well.

I dunno man, a lot of hassle for not a lot of benefit. 2mb of cache, 4mb of cache, it's a nice little processo regardless.
March 5, 2007 9:34:40 AM

Wow! thanks for the info ...
I'll just keep my current setup 8)
I'll worry about a new video card in the future ..
March 5, 2007 12:51:02 PM

The biggest thing is the price drops happening when the 6320 is released. Looking at overclocked 63/6400's compared to 66/6800's, I think 5% would be an optimistic estimate of the performance gains, but it does depend on what you are are using the chip for.
!