HELP!!!

To whom it may consern:

I have some serious issues with my laptop running Windows
2000 Pro. My computer won't even start to boot. What
happens is when I turn on the computer, the Compaq logo
appears for a few seconds and then goes to a black screen
that says, "NON SYSTEM DISK OR DISK ERROR. PLEASE REPLACE
AND PRESS ANY KEY TO CONTINUE." The only way I have found
to work is to mash the f8 button from the boot and once in
about 20 tries I actually press the button at the exact
moment that will work and it goes to the advanced start up
options screen. Through my trial-and-error system of
getting it to work, i have discovered that the following
files are corrupt or missing:

<windows2000root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

This one, i assume, is the kernel thing for NT, and im
pretty sure thats important.

\WINNT\SYSTEM\vgaoem.fon

I visited this file in My Computer and found that it was
not there at all. I found a vga driver near where it
should be, but that's all.

I have no idea why, but the only option that works seems
to be "Boot Normally." That makes no sense to me, but it
gets the job done...

Anyway thank you for helping, if you can think of what
could possibly be wrong with my OS, but i may be able to
solve the problem if i could replace the missing files. If
I knew where to find them, That would also be helpfull.

Thank you,
Tom

P.S. Yes, I know I have a gmail account, and maybe if you
help me out I can get an invatation to you... How's that
for incentive?

Make sure there is no disk in the floppy drive (the a:)
The message you got indicates there is.

Elijah Landreth [MSFT]
Microsoft Server Setup Team

Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/directory
Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp
See the Windows NT Homepage at http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
more timely response. Thank you!

This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of
Microsoft.
or opinions of Microsoft.