DSL Modem/router/access point

shinigami304

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
anyone know what modem/router/access point for DSL or ADSL is the best to use right now? my current 2wire 1701hg just took a dump on me and i am looking for something that can let the user/admin of the device able to manage IPs given out. i did like my old D-link router but it wasnt a modem or have wireless access. what i did like about it was that i can see who was connected to it and deny anyone's MAC address that i didnt want connected like that one friend that comes over with their damn nintendo DS. usually i close the IP range to the amount of PC/devices connected in the house to the router plus one. there is usually someone (friend/family) coming over that needs temp access to the internet. what i did was static all IPs to device MAC address leaving one IP open for that temp access plus i usually still have encryption enabled for my wireless. my 2wire was OK but it wasnt friendly enough to let me manage IPs connected to mac address. the only thing i was able to do was shorten the range of IPs. but it was a all in one (modem, router, access point) that did meet my needs.

so i am wondering what is out thati can buy that TomsHardware's staff or forum members recommend that will meet current standards and maybe future standards.

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
so i am wondering what is out thati can buy that TomsHardware's staff or forum members recommend that will meet current standards and maybe future standards.
If you want maximum flexibility down the road, I'd recommend you buy three separate pieces of equipment: ADSL transciever (aka modem), wired router, and wireless access point. That way, you can get the security features you need in your router without limiting yourself to the combo devices, and you can adapt your wireless network to future standards without having to replace your router.

shinigami304

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
I'd recommend you buy three separate pieces of equipment: ADSL transciever (aka modem), wired router, and wireless access point.
thanks for the info but what do you recommend as far as equipment?

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
This can get religious pretty fast, but these devices are pretty good:

Router: Airlink101 AR504
Access point: Buffalo Technology WLA-G54C

As for the ADSL Modem, check with your ISP/DSL provider for a list of supported modems. If you have to get one with a built-in router, you can always (hopefully) disable the router functions (DHCP server, NAT server, firewall).

The Airlink router is fast, but may not support UPnP; I don't remember.