HAL.DLL

hi,
i just tried to re-instal xp-pro and got the "missing hal.dll" msg.
googled it and now sorta have a rough idea what is going on.
i have win98 with 3 logical drives, xp is going on one of those.
the googled sites say to replace hal.dll but dont say much about
the fact that xp is not installed for it to be replaced.
the do however start talking about 'editing' the boot.ini file.
any of you guys want to help with a bit of a 'walk-thru'.
i am also going to make it Fat32, i have my reasons.

ta
griff
5 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    Hi, Griff.

    Just boot from the WinXP CD-ROM and let Setup detect your hardware and
    select the correct HAL.DLL from the CD for your system and install it.

    Are you planning to end up with WinXP only, as an upgrade from Win98? Or
    will you be dual-booting Win98/XP? Or will you reformat your Win98 volume
    before installing WinXP there?

    > i am also going to make it Fat32, i have my reasons.

    No problem. Your computer, your choice. But I don't know of any good
    reason not to use NTFS unless you plan to install (or keep) Win9x/ME on this
    computer.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "griffin" <griffin@internode.org> wrote in message
    > hi,
    > i just tried to re-instal xp-pro and got the "missing hal.dll" msg.
    > googled it and now sorta have a rough idea what is going on.
    > i have win98 with 3 logical drives, xp is going on one of those.
    > the googled sites say to replace hal.dll but dont say much about
    > the fact that xp is not installed for it to be replaced.
    > the do however start talking about 'editing' the boot.ini file.
    > any of you guys want to help with a bit of a 'walk-thru'.
    > i am also going to make it Fat32, i have my reasons.
    >
    > ta
    > griff

    Hi R C White,

    > Hi, Griff.
    >
    > Just boot from the WinXP CD-ROM and let Setup detect your hardware and
    > select the correct HAL.DLL from the CD for your system and install it.
    -----------------
    But that is what I did last night.
    I changed bios to boot from cd fully intending to instal xp, but I got the
    HAL
    message almost instantly. If I were to look around the cd for the hal.dll,
    where
    would I place it?
    ----------------------------------

    > Are you planning to end up with WinXP only, as an upgrade from Win98? Or
    > will you be dual-booting Win98/XP? Or will you reformat your Win98 volume
    > before installing WinXP there?
    --------------------
    I will be using it as a dual boot scenario.

    -------------------------

    > > i am also going to make it Fat32, i have my reasons.
    >
    > No problem. Your computer, your choice. But I don't know of any good
    > reason not to use NTFS unless you plan to install (or keep) Win9x/ME on
    this
    > computer.
    ----------------
    One reason is that I put it on with ntfs once before and lots of problems
    arose,
    so I thought I would just keep it as Fat this time.
    It wont be used for the internet at all, strictly just another o/s of which
    I plan to
    isolate from win98.
    -----------------------

    ta for answers.

    griff

    > RC
    > --
    > R. C. White, CPA
    > San Marcos, TX
    > rc@corridor.net
    > Microsoft Windows MVP
    >
    > "griffin" <griffin@internode.org> wrote in message
    > > hi,
    > > i just tried to re-instal xp-pro and got the "missing hal.dll" msg.
    > > googled it and now sorta have a rough idea what is going on.
    > > i have win98 with 3 logical drives, xp is going on one of those.
    > > the googled sites say to replace hal.dll but dont say much about
    > > the fact that xp is not installed for it to be replaced.
    > > the do however start talking about 'editing' the boot.ini file.
    > > any of you guys want to help with a bit of a 'walk-thru'.
    > > i am also going to make it Fat32, i have my reasons.
    > >
    > > ta
    > > griff

    hi r c white,
    i tried installing xp again just now, it still wants the hal.dll.
    my question is, is the Hal file a win98 file or xp file?
    the message i get is that it is missing from <windows root>system32\hal.dll.
    how would xp know it is missing if it hasnt even installed
    itself? (unless of course, it is a win98 file and it needs it to continue
    the process).
    win98 still works, (hence i am writing this) so if it were a 98 file, i
    guess there would be trouble booting 98, but there isnt any trouble.

    i have downloaded a Hal.Dll from the net and placed it in a folder
    within win98, any ideas on what to do next?
    one last thing, i put xp on my computer using the same CD last week, could
    there now be a problem with the CD itself....... i have
    cleaned it since.

    ta
    griff

    hi r c white,
    this post is few hours later.
    i now have XP loaded in a dual boot scenario.
    it is using the FAT system.
    i found what i think was the instal problem, ....... it was due to
    my A.V being enabled. i dont fully understand why this should
    cause the problem(s) that i had, but there you are.
    i do have a question.
    i have enabled my AV again (in win98) so as to be able to go on the
    net and come to this n/g,............ will having it enabled cause
    any problems with XP now? (XP is not internet capable and probably wont be)

    ta
    griff

    Hi, Griff.

    > i have enabled my AV again (in win98) so as to be able to go on the
    > net and come to this n/g,............ will having it enabled
    > cause
    > any problems with XP now? (XP is not internet capable and probably wont
    > be)

    No. The antivirus (no matter the brand) is a program that runs inside the
    operating system. When you are running in Win98, it has no idea that WinXP
    even exists - except for all those files in WinXP's boot volume
    (X:\Windows?). In the same way, when you are booted into WinXP, none of the
    programs that WOULD BE running IF you were booted into Win98, including the
    antivirus program, are having any effect whatsoever - except for taking up
    disk space.

    I'm no virus expert, Griff. I'm happy to say that I've never had an
    infection on my computer. I've had minimal spyware and adware infestations
    that were quickly dealt with by Adaware and SpyBot Search & Destroy The
    only virus I ever got was from a floppy diskette someone gave me, and that
    one was discovered immediately and eliminated before it had a chance to do
    any damage. Many bad guys try to get in from the Internet, but with the
    combination of WinXP SP2, NIS (Norton Internet Security, including
    antivirus, firewall and antispam) and my practicing "safe hex", they've all
    been stopped at the border. (So far! I recognize that my computer is still
    vulnerable - just like everybody else's - and I could get hit later today,
    so I keep my guard up.)

    My understanding is that viruses work in several different ways. Most work
    within the operating system that is currently controlling the computer. A
    few, though, could infect the MBR or other disk structures and do their
    damage, no matter whether you are booted into Win98 or WinXP. Since I'm out
    of my depth here, I'll let someone else clarify or expand on this. But I
    think you are pretty safe if your Win98 antivirus is working well and kept
    up to date, your WinXP is isolated from the Internet and other networks, and
    you don't import files in any other way (floppy, USB drive, etc.). You
    should have no problems booting and running WinXP.

    RC
    --

    > hi r c white,
    > this post is few hours later.
    > i now have XP loaded in a dual boot scenario.
    > it is using the FAT system.
    > i found what i think was the instal problem, ....... it was due to
    > my A.V being enabled. i dont fully understand why this should
    > cause the problem(s) that i had, but there you are.
    > i do have a question.
    > i have enabled my AV again (in win98) so as to be able to go on the
    > net and come to this n/g,............ will having it enabled
    > cause
    > any problems with XP now? (XP is not internet capable and probably wont
    > be)
    >
    > ta
    > griff

DLL Microsoft Windows XP