Sign in with
Your question

Antec 550watt blew running e6600 at 3.2240 Ghz and 1.40vcore

Last response: in Overclocking
March 5, 2007 9:44:16 AM

Hi guys

My PSU popped after i had overclocked my e6600 to 3.240ghz running at 1.40vcore, and ddr2 ram at +0.5v. I'm running corsair c6400 800mhz 2GB. It was running ok for 3 days with no crashes and then bang!

Was the CPU drawing too much current? It was running on a DQ6 GIGABYTE, I've since purchased the 650watt ANtec trio and I'm afraid to up the vcore again becuase of what happened. Anyone had similar experience? :o 
March 5, 2007 11:58:29 AM

Well I wish you luck if the thing was under warranty. My Antec Truepower II 550 watt PSU died 2 weeks ago today. I have had it for 1 year and 1 week. It had a three year warranty. I went to their website and started the RMA process. First you have to open a ticket and I did. They replied to it about 30 hours later. I replied to theirs and so it went. It take a full day to complete each step. It took 4 days to get a RMA number. I shipped it back overnight. They got it last Friday (ten days ago) and I never heard a word from them. I opened ANOTHER ticket (they closed the first one when they gave me a RMA number) to find out the status. I got an answer 2 days later saying they had my old one to call a person named "Jay" at the number listed. I called within 5 mins of the email with this information - voice mail. I left a detailed message. I tried recalling 3 more times before her answered the next day. He told me they got tons of packages in and I would receive an email saying when it shipped....
Two more days pass and Jay RETURNS my origional call. My item still hadn't shipped. He had no idea who I was and didn't remember speaking to me. He checked the RMA again. He assured me it was shipping out this past Thursday and I would receive a confirmation email. He said I would receive it this coming Thursday. Well it is Monday here and I have no emails or anything. Assuming it does arrive on Thursday, I will have been a total of 18 days to get this item back under warranty. If I hasn't paid over $100 for it, I would have just got a new PSU somewhere else.
I don't know if other people have had issues with RMAing something to Antec under warranty. I am curious if this is standard. I am use to dealing with HP or Dell where I get the part back in a day or 2.

ORNsley
March 5, 2007 2:29:41 PM

Quote:
Why are you running your core voltage so high then??

1.40V isn't "so high"

Quote:
Why dont you drop it down to stock levels....

did you notice he's overclocking? That's why the Vcore isn't at stock setting.

In a normal setup, that PSU should be capable.

Like Mpilch said, we need to see the full system specs
March 6, 2007 3:53:50 AM

My System Specs are:

E6600 C2D was at 3.2ghz at 1.40vcore
Gigabyte DQ6
2GB Corsair DDr2 800mhz 6400c was at 0.5v+ddr2
Geforce 7600Gt 256 Mb Graphics
Antec 900 case
Zalman 9700 Cpu cooler
320 seagate hardrive
22" Chimei Monitor
Antec 550w truepower (now Antec 650 watt trio).

:D 
March 6, 2007 5:43:04 AM

Thats pretty weird. Wasn't much of a stressful system. Could just be a bad unit?
March 6, 2007 6:46:25 AM

Have you tested your input voltage? Everyone seems to assume that their wall socket is fine...
March 6, 2007 7:46:17 PM

Is your PSU plugged into a power bar with a good surge supressor?
!