Plug Placement or Jumpers take priority?

March 17, 2005 6:43:06 PM

Hello all. My XP SP2 system has a 160GB drive. I have a 30 GB (with XP
installed) drive from an older system, and thought I'd add it as the system
drive, and use the bigger drive for all data and programs. I installed the
30GB drive on the second plug on the drive ribbon, but set the jumpers on it
as the master, and the 160GB drive as the slave. The new 30GB C; drive
booted up, but the 160GB drive was seen as unformatted, even though it had
been the former single drive and has XP and all my progs and data on it. I
did not want to reformat it (as offered), so I turned off the system, pulled
the power from the 30GB drive, and put the 160GB drive jumper back to
master, and it booted up fine.
Does the Master drive need to be the 1st unit on the ribbon, as well as have
the jumper set to master? Does the plug position (1st or 2nd on the HDD
ribbon) matter?
I hope I'm clear with this description.
Thanks!
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 6:43:07 PM

Hello LMO ,
I think I follow you. If you don't set the jumpers to master on the
mater drive it will not work. ie, it dosen't do any good to hook it up as
master on the ribbon if you do not set the jumpers to master and vice-versa
with the slave drive but I think you have figured this out already. As for
first on the ribbon, as long as you hook the master connection to the master
drive ( with the proper jumper settings ) and slave connection to the slave
drive( with the proper jumper settings) you should be "GTG". Best of luck to
you. RON J

"LMO" wrote:

> Hello all. My XP SP2 system has a 160GB drive. I have a 30 GB (with XP
> installed) drive from an older system, and thought I'd add it as the system
> drive, and use the bigger drive for all data and programs. I installed the
> 30GB drive on the second plug on the drive ribbon, but set the jumpers on it
> as the master, and the 160GB drive as the slave. The new 30GB C; drive
> booted up, but the 160GB drive was seen as unformatted, even though it had
> been the former single drive and has XP and all my progs and data on it. I
> did not want to reformat it (as offered), so I turned off the system, pulled
> the power from the 30GB drive, and put the 160GB drive jumper back to
> master, and it booted up fine.
> Does the Master drive need to be the 1st unit on the ribbon, as well as have
> the jumper set to master? Does the plug position (1st or 2nd on the HDD
> ribbon) matter?
> I hope I'm clear with this description.
> Thanks!

Anonymous
March 17, 2005 6:43:07 PM

Problem may be that the old 30 GB drive is now master and
the files/folders on the former master drive are now seen as
foreign. See How to Take Ownership
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

Your programs will not run from their presently install
position since they are not in the new C: registry, you'll
have to reinstall all your applications, but can have the
files install to the folders on the 160 GB drive.

"LMO" <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| Hello all. My XP SP2 system has a 160GB drive. I have a 30
GB (with XP
| installed) drive from an older system, and thought I'd add
it as the system
| drive, and use the bigger drive for all data and programs.
I installed the
| 30GB drive on the second plug on the drive ribbon, but set
the jumpers on it
| as the master, and the 160GB drive as the slave. The new
30GB C; drive
| booted up, but the 160GB drive was seen as unformatted,
even though it had
| been the former single drive and has XP and all my progs
and data on it. I
| did not want to reformat it (as offered), so I turned off
the system, pulled
| the power from the 30GB drive, and put the 160GB drive
jumper back to
| master, and it booted up fine.
| Does the Master drive need to be the 1st unit on the
ribbon, as well as have
| the jumper set to master? Does the plug position (1st or
2nd on the HDD
| ribbon) matter?
| I hope I'm clear with this description.
| Thanks!

March 18, 2005 5:44:06 AM

Ron, I'm not sure what you're saying about he plug positions. Is it that the
Master drive must be in the first plug position on the ribbon, AND have the
jumpers set to Master? Therefore, the 2nd drive must be in the 2nd plug
position, AND have the jumpers set to Slave? Would this configuration allow
me the see and access the files on the now Slave drive (which used to be the
system drive)?
Or do the plug positions not matter as long as the jumpers are set
correctly?
Thanks.

"Ron J" <RonJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello LMO ,
> I think I follow you. If you don't set the jumpers to master on the
> mater drive it will not work. ie, it dosen't do any good to hook it up as
> master on the ribbon if you do not set the jumpers to master and
> vice-versa
> with the slave drive but I think you have figured this out already. As for
> first on the ribbon, as long as you hook the master connection to the
> master
> drive ( with the proper jumper settings ) and slave connection to the
> slave
> drive( with the proper jumper settings) you should be "GTG". Best of luck
> you. RON J
>

> "LMO" wrote:
>

>> Hello all. My XP SP2 system has a 160GB drive. I have a 30 GB (with XP
>> installed) drive from an older system, and thought I'd add it as the
>> system
>> drive, and use the bigger drive for all data and programs. I installed
>> the
>> 30GB drive on the second plug on the drive ribbon, but set the jumpers on
>> it
>> as the master, and the 160GB drive as the slave. The new 30GB C; drive
>> booted up, but the 160GB drive was seen as unformatted, even though it
>> had
>> been the former single drive and has XP and all my progs and data on it.
>> did not want to reformat it (as offered), so I turned off the system,
>> pulled
>> the power from the 30GB drive, and put the 160GB drive jumper back to
>> master, and it booted up fine.
>> Does the Master drive need to be the 1st unit on the ribbon, as well as
>> have
>> the jumper set to master? Does the plug position (1st or 2nd on the HDD
>> ribbon) matter?
>> I hope I'm clear with this description.
>> Thanks!

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 5:44:07 AM

If the jumpers are set to CS (cable select) then and only
then do the positions on the cable matter. If you use the
jumpers to set one drive as master, then the other drive
must be set as slave.
Also the master drive must be bootable.

> [...]
| >> 30GB drive on the second plug on the drive ribbon, but
set the jumpers on
| >> it
| >> as the master, and the 160GB drive as the slave. The
new 30GB C; drive
| >> booted up, but the 160GB drive was seen as unformatted,
even though it
| >> had
| >> been the former single drive and has XP and all my
progs and data on it.
| >> did not want to reformat it (as offered), so I turned
off the system,
| >> pulled
| >> the power from the 30GB drive, and put the 160GB drive
jumper back to
| >> master, and it booted up fine.
| >> Does the Master drive need to be the 1st unit on the
ribbon, as well as
| >> have
| >> the jumper set to master? Does the plug position (1st

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 11:35:18 AM

Okay, finally got it!
Thanks, Jum.