Plug Placement or Jumpers take priority?

Hello all. My XP SP2 system has a 160GB drive. I have a 30 GB (with XP
installed) drive from an older system, and thought I'd add it as the system
drive, and use the bigger drive for all data and programs. I installed the
30GB drive on the second plug on the drive ribbon, but set the jumpers on it
as the master, and the 160GB drive as the slave. The new 30GB C; drive
booted up, but the 160GB drive was seen as unformatted, even though it had
been the former single drive and has XP and all my progs and data on it. I
did not want to reformat it (as offered), so I turned off the system, pulled
the power from the 30GB drive, and put the 160GB drive jumper back to
master, and it booted up fine.
Does the Master drive need to be the 1st unit on the ribbon, as well as have
the jumper set to master? Does the plug position (1st or 2nd on the HDD
ribbon) matter?
I hope I'm clear with this description.
Thanks!
5 answers Last reply
More about plug placement jumpers priority

    Hello LMO ,
    I think I follow you. If you don't set the jumpers to master on the
    mater drive it will not work. ie, it dosen't do any good to hook it up as
    master on the ribbon if you do not set the jumpers to master and vice-versa
    with the slave drive but I think you have figured this out already. As for
    first on the ribbon, as long as you hook the master connection to the master
    drive ( with the proper jumper settings ) and slave connection to the slave
    drive( with the proper jumper settings) you should be "GTG". Best of luck to
    you. RON J

    "LMO" wrote:

    > Hello all. My XP SP2 system has a 160GB drive. I have a 30 GB (with XP
    > installed) drive from an older system, and thought I'd add it as the system
    > drive, and use the bigger drive for all data and programs. I installed the
    > 30GB drive on the second plug on the drive ribbon, but set the jumpers on it
    > as the master, and the 160GB drive as the slave. The new 30GB C; drive
    > booted up, but the 160GB drive was seen as unformatted, even though it had
    > been the former single drive and has XP and all my progs and data on it. I
    > did not want to reformat it (as offered), so I turned off the system, pulled
    > the power from the 30GB drive, and put the 160GB drive jumper back to
    > master, and it booted up fine.
    > Does the Master drive need to be the 1st unit on the ribbon, as well as have
    > the jumper set to master? Does the plug position (1st or 2nd on the HDD
    > ribbon) matter?
    > I hope I'm clear with this description.
    > Thanks!

    Problem may be that the old 30 GB drive is now master and
    the files/folders on the former master drive are now seen as
    foreign. See How to Take Ownership
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

    Your programs will not run from their presently install
    position since they are not in the new C: registry, you'll
    have to reinstall all your applications, but can have the
    files install to the folders on the 160 GB drive.

    "LMO" <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    | Hello all. My XP SP2 system has a 160GB drive. I have a 30
    GB (with XP
    | installed) drive from an older system, and thought I'd add
    it as the system
    | drive, and use the bigger drive for all data and programs.
    I installed the
    | 30GB drive on the second plug on the drive ribbon, but set
    the jumpers on it
    | as the master, and the 160GB drive as the slave. The new
    30GB C; drive
    | booted up, but the 160GB drive was seen as unformatted,
    even though it had
    | been the former single drive and has XP and all my progs
    and data on it. I
    | did not want to reformat it (as offered), so I turned off
    the system, pulled
    | the power from the 30GB drive, and put the 160GB drive
    jumper back to
    | master, and it booted up fine.
    | Does the Master drive need to be the 1st unit on the
    ribbon, as well as have
    | the jumper set to master? Does the plug position (1st or
    2nd on the HDD
    | ribbon) matter?
    | I hope I'm clear with this description.
    | Thanks!

    Ron, I'm not sure what you're saying about he plug positions. Is it that the
    Master drive must be in the first plug position on the ribbon, AND have the
    jumpers set to Master? Therefore, the 2nd drive must be in the 2nd plug
    position, AND have the jumpers set to Slave? Would this configuration allow
    me the see and access the files on the now Slave drive (which used to be the
    system drive)?
    Or do the plug positions not matter as long as the jumpers are set
    correctly?
    Thanks.

    "Ron J" <RonJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello LMO ,
    > I think I follow you. If you don't set the jumpers to master on the
    > mater drive it will not work. ie, it dosen't do any good to hook it up as
    > master on the ribbon if you do not set the jumpers to master and
    > vice-versa
    > with the slave drive but I think you have figured this out already. As for
    > first on the ribbon, as long as you hook the master connection to the
    > master
    > drive ( with the proper jumper settings ) and slave connection to the
    > slave
    > drive( with the proper jumper settings) you should be "GTG". Best of luck
    > you. RON J
    >

    > "LMO" wrote:
    >

    >> Hello all. My XP SP2 system has a 160GB drive. I have a 30 GB (with XP
    >> installed) drive from an older system, and thought I'd add it as the
    >> system
    >> drive, and use the bigger drive for all data and programs. I installed
    >> the
    >> 30GB drive on the second plug on the drive ribbon, but set the jumpers on
    >> it
    >> as the master, and the 160GB drive as the slave. The new 30GB C; drive
    >> booted up, but the 160GB drive was seen as unformatted, even though it
    >> had
    >> been the former single drive and has XP and all my progs and data on it.
    >> did not want to reformat it (as offered), so I turned off the system,
    >> pulled
    >> the power from the 30GB drive, and put the 160GB drive jumper back to
    >> master, and it booted up fine.
    >> Does the Master drive need to be the 1st unit on the ribbon, as well as
    >> have
    >> the jumper set to master? Does the plug position (1st or 2nd on the HDD
    >> ribbon) matter?
    >> I hope I'm clear with this description.
    >> Thanks!

    If the jumpers are set to CS (cable select) then and only
    then do the positions on the cable matter. If you use the
    jumpers to set one drive as master, then the other drive
    must be set as slave.
    Also the master drive must be bootable.

> [...]
    | >> 30GB drive on the second plug on the drive ribbon, but
    set the jumpers on
    | >> it
    | >> as the master, and the 160GB drive as the slave. The
    new 30GB C; drive
    | >> booted up, but the 160GB drive was seen as unformatted,
    even though it
    | >> had
    | >> been the former single drive and has XP and all my
    progs and data on it.
    | >> did not want to reformat it (as offered), so I turned
    off the system,
    | >> pulled
    | >> the power from the 30GB drive, and put the 160GB drive
    jumper back to
    | >> master, and it booted up fine.
    | >> Does the Master drive need to be the 1st unit on the
    ribbon, as well as
    | >> have
    | >> the jumper set to master? Does the plug position (1st

    Okay, finally got it!
    Thanks, Jum.

    > If the jumpers are set to CS (cable select) then and only
    > then do the positions on the cable matter. If you use the
    > jumpers to set one drive as master, then the other drive
    > must be set as slave.
    > Also the master drive must be bootable.

    > "LMO" <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > | Ron, I'm not sure what you're saying about he plug
    > positions. Is it that the
    > | Master drive must be in the first plug position on the
    > ribbon, AND have the
    > | jumpers set to Master? Therefore, the 2nd drive must be in
    > the 2nd plug
    > | position, AND have the jumpers set to Slave? Would this
    > configuration allow
    > | me the see and access the files on the now Slave drive
    > (which used to be the
    > | system drive)?
    > | Or do the plug positions not matter as long as the jumpers
    > are set
    > | correctly?
    > | Thanks.
    > |
    > | "Ron J" <RonJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | > Hello LMO ,
    > | > I think I follow you. If you don't set the jumpers
    > to master on the
    > | > mater drive it will not work. ie, it dosen't do any good
    > to hook it up as
    > | > master on the ribbon if you do not set the jumpers to
    > master and
    > | > vice-versa
    > | > with the slave drive but I think you have figured this
    > out already. As for
    > | > first on the ribbon, as long as you hook the master
    > connection to the
    > | > master
    > | > drive ( with the proper jumper settings ) and slave
    > connection to the
    > | > slave
    > | > drive( with the proper jumper settings) you should be
    > "GTG". Best of luck
    > | > you. RON J

    > 30 GB (with XP
    > add it as the