Setup RAID-1 first time

Hello,

I have a Windows 2000 server so I am hoping the setup is the same as with
WIndows 2000.
I have an HP DL140 with two 80GB drives that I want to set up as a RAID-1.
I have never done this before and would appreciate the "Dummies" version of
what needs to be done and in what order.
I have already installed the OS but I can redo it if necessary because there
are no apps on the server yet. I can see both drives when I check the Disk
Manager. Both are set up as basic drives. Disk 0 is the Primary Partition
and Disk 1 is unallocated. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

RK
2 answers Last reply
More about setup raid time

    Personally I would be uncomfortable with software raid.
    I use hardware raid 1; building the mirror is simplicity itself. You access
    the raid, on boot, and build/create mirror.

    "Ray K." <Ray.Koury@Vishay.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Windows 2000 server so I am hoping the setup is the same as with
    > WIndows 2000.
    > I have an HP DL140 with two 80GB drives that I want to set up as a RAID-1.
    > I have never done this before and would appreciate the "Dummies" version
    of
    > what needs to be done and in what order.
    > I have already installed the OS but I can redo it if necessary because
    there
    > are no apps on the server yet. I can see both drives when I check the
    Disk
    > Manager. Both are set up as basic drives. Disk 0 is the Primary
    Partition
    > and Disk 1 is unallocated. Any help would be appreciated.
    > Thanks
    >
    > RK

    Ray

    See if this MS Knowledge Base article can help you:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=302969

    It is a step by step guide how to create a software mirror.

    Best regards

    Bjorn
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)

    "Ray K." <Ray.Koury@Vishay.com> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I have a Windows 2000 server so I am hoping the setup is the same as with
    >WIndows 2000.
    >I have an HP DL140 with two 80GB drives that I want to set up as a RAID-1.
    >I have never done this before and would appreciate the "Dummies" version of
    >what needs to be done and in what order.
    >I have already installed the OS but I can redo it if necessary because there
    >are no apps on the server yet. I can see both drives when I check the Disk
    >Manager. Both are set up as basic drives. Disk 0 is the Primary Partition
    >and Disk 1 is unallocated. Any help would be appreciated.
    >Thanks
    >
    >RK

NAS / RAID Windows 2000 Servers Windows