Setup RAID-1 first time

Hello,

I have a Windows 2000 server so I am hoping the setup is the same as with
WIndows 2000.
I have an HP DL140 with two 80GB drives that I want to set up as a RAID-1.
I have never done this before and would appreciate the "Dummies" version of
what needs to be done and in what order.
I have already installed the OS but I can redo it if necessary because there
are no apps on the server yet. I can see both drives when I check the Disk
Manager. Both are set up as basic drives. Disk 0 is the Primary Partition
and Disk 1 is unallocated. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

RK

dl

Personally I would be uncomfortable with software raid.
I use hardware raid 1; building the mirror is simplicity itself. You access
the raid, on boot, and build/create mirror.

"Ray K." <Ray.Koury@Vishay.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a Windows 2000 server so I am hoping the setup is the same as with
> WIndows 2000.
> I have an HP DL140 with two 80GB drives that I want to set up as a RAID-1.
> I have never done this before and would appreciate the "Dummies" version
of
> what needs to be done and in what order.
> I have already installed the OS but I can redo it if necessary because
there
> are no apps on the server yet. I can see both drives when I check the
Disk
> Manager. Both are set up as basic drives. Disk 0 is the Primary
Partition
> and Disk 1 is unallocated. Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks
>
> RK

Ray

See if this MS Knowledge Base article can help you:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=302969

It is a step by step guide how to create a software mirror.

Best regards

Bjorn
Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)