I am the latest victim....

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
.... Of the dreaded casewhite PM

casewhite wrote
It would be easier to buy out Intel right now than AMD. The problem is the National Security Act of 1947. AMD and IBM hold all the contracts now for the classified computers being built by the government so any company purchasing AMD would have to qualify for a Q level security clearance. There are no private equity firms that could get the clearance due to the debt held by outsiders and the necessity of all members of the firm to get a Q clearance. No private equity firm I know of can afford the full scale audit by the Criminal Div of IRS. I had a Q clearance for 14 years before I retired and was audited by IRS revenue agents every year and by Criminal Div 4 times to keep my clearance. As long as AMD is publicly traded, the audits aren't necessary. Only employees doing classified work have to have the clearances. Howard Hughes is the only private individual that I know of in my life time to hold a clearaqnce high enough to own companies that did top secret work. They were Global Marine (Glomar Explorer fame) and Hughes Aircraft.

Is he really serious? Does he really believe that another American company (nvidia?) could not get the appropriate clearance to do work for the gov't? Actually, I don't even remember what I said exactly to prompt this direct response from him.

jackxlj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
hes out there all right, i debated this with him in another thread, and got a whatever response. Even pointed at that the majority of nvidia is owned by us citizens or us companies, and amd has a 17% stake that is owned by outside inbvestors, asnd no reply

jackxlj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
he only posts rarely, and always in defence of AMD and its moves, comes up with obscure reasons why AMD is top,and everyone lse isnt

mr_fnord

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
'Q Clearance' is only for DOE access to nuclear projects. Investors/business owners don't need any security clearances, they just can't have access to any information about what goes on in classified projects. AMD's chip design is hardly a security secret, else they wouldn't be able to sell it openly. hey might have some project team with 10 engineers working at a university somewhere on classified projects, but that's nothing that would affect a buyout. When people make up bullshit they should at least check their fasts first. A good lie is one that you can't tell from the truth.

jackxlj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
I think he may be worse then the rest...citeing laws that created the airforce from the army,set up the defence council,and put them under more direct control of the president as reasons nvidia, an american company, couldnt buy out amd? Makes it worse is Nvidia has a contract with the DoD, couldnt find out what, but the last 9 quarters, they have reported income from that source

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
Well, thanks for shedding some light on this. Checking the veracity of his claims would take more time and effort than it would really be worth. So thank you.

jackxlj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
The National Security Act of 1947, Pub. L. No. 235, 80 Cong., 61 Stat. 496 (July 26, 1947), signed by U.S. President Harry S. Truman realigned and reorganized the United States' armed forces, foreign policy, and Intelligence Community apparatus in the aftermath of World War II. The majority of the provisions of the Act took effect on 18 September 1947, the day after the Senate confirmed James V. Forrestal as the first Secretary of Defense.

The Act merged the Department of War and the Department of the Navy into the National Military Establishment (NME) headed by the Secretary of Defense. It was also responsible for the creation of a separate Department of the Air Force from the existing United States Army Air Forces. Initially, each of the three service secretaries maintained quasi-cabinet status, but the act was amended on 10 August 1949 to assure their subordination to the Secretary of Defense. At the same time, the NME was renamed as the Department of Defense.

Aside from the military reorganization, the act established the National Security Council, a central place of coordination for national security policy in the Executive Branch, and the Central Intelligence Agency, the United States' first peacetime intelligence agency.

The act and its changes, along with the Truman Doctrine and the Marshall Plan, were major components of the Truman administration's Cold War strategy.

The bill signing took place aboard Truman's C-54 presidential aircraft Sacred Cow, the predecessor of Air Force One. [1].

from wikipedia

jackxlj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
lol,yes he does. becouse according to him,even though Nvidia is a US company, they cant buy other US companies...maybe becouse the founder of Nvidia has chinese parents?

WR

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
The concern mentioned in the PM has nothing to do with a public buyout of AMD - otherwise, AMD couldn't be public to start. It may, however, be a problem if AMD were to go completely private. To be fair, I don't think this would be much of an obstacle. A private firm might have to hold off on classified work until it finds a buyer or spins off that department.

The PM also does not back up why Intel would be comparatively harder to acquire. We're left to infer that casewhite means Intel has no classified activity, but I somehow doubt that is the case, as even if most current contracts specify Opterons, I'm sure there is ongoing support for older contracts using earlier Intel designs.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Don't say dumb things you don't want quoted and you won't see them in peoples sigs.

None of them reflect the kind of things you say so they are not dumb. I'm just conceited and proud of it. if it wren't true, then I could see but they are all true.

If people would't make demeaning jokes about the the gainful employment of others statements like those wouldn't be necessary.

BTW, mind your own business, Mr. Symbiote.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
It is very certain, he needs psychiatric help!

Maybe not. Perhaps he is just old and senile?Yeah, he especially likes taking a run at Jack. He seems to be very knowledgable, but also seems to misinterpret what he knows. Kind of a lot like MMM, minus the Manic/Depressive episodes. :wink:

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
So is it better to send PMs or quote people sacrastically in your sig, you stalker?

Baron, I mean no malice. It is merely my belief that if I cosistently remind you of stupid things you have said in the past, it may discourage you from posting stupid things in the future.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
So is it better to send PMs or quote people sacrastically in your sig, you stalker?

Baron, I mean no malice. It is merely my belief that if I cosistently remind you of stupid things you have said in the past, it may discourage you from posting stupid things in the future.Don't hold your breath, Mikey. :wink: