How to change a machine with Win2000 Server

jorge

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

Hi,

I need to change a Win2000 Server that is the file server, Active
Directory, Domain Controller, DNS, DHCP, has the Group Policies, user
scripts, because this is a old machine.

First I tried with the Microsoft kb 249694, "How to move a windows
2000 installation to different hardware", with a State Backup. And I
had the server with services on (DNS, DHCP, etc.), but no group
policies, no users profiles, it is useless for me.

So this is my questions:

What happen if I install the new machine, with the same software
win2000 server, and put/create the same netbios name, the same range
DHCP, same DNS, same IP address, same services, Group policies, files,
scripts, etc. etc....

What happend with new server SID? Do I have to rejoin something or
not?
Can the users log on to this new machine? The workstations are win2000
prof, win98. And there is another win2000 server (mail and internet
server) joined to this domain.
Do I have to take care of special things?

Thanks in advance.

"Jorge" <jbarello@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I need to change a Win2000 Server that is the file server, Active
> Directory, Domain Controller, DNS, DHCP, has the Group Policies, user
> scripts, because this is a old machine.
>
> First I tried with the Microsoft kb 249694, "How to move a windows
> 2000 installation to different hardware", with a State Backup. And I
> had the server with services on (DNS, DHCP, etc.), but no group
> policies, no users profiles, it is useless for me.
>
> So this is my questions:
>
> What happen if I install the new machine, with the same software
> win2000 server, and put/create the same netbios name, the same range
> DHCP, same DNS, same IP address, same services, Group policies, files,
> scripts, etc. etc....
>
> What happend with new server SID? Do I have to rejoin something or
> not?
> Can the users log on to this new machine? The workstations are win2000
> prof, win98. And there is another win2000 server (mail and internet
> server) joined to this domain.
> Do I have to take care of special things?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Seeing that one expects a very high degree of reliability from
a server, I would never move an existing installation to new
hardware. I would rebuild the server.

Joe

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

> "Jorge" <jbarello@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to change a Win2000 Server that is the file server, Active
> > Directory, Domain Controller, DNS, DHCP, has the Group Policies, user
> > scripts, because this is a old machine.
> >
> > First I tried with the Microsoft kb 249694, "How to move a windows
> > 2000 installation to different hardware", with a State Backup. And I
> > had the server with services on (DNS, DHCP, etc.), but no group
> > policies, no users profiles, it is useless for me.
> >
> > So this is my questions:
> >
> > What happen if I install the new machine, with the same software
> > win2000 server, and put/create the same netbios name, the same range
> > DHCP, same DNS, same IP address, same services, Group policies, files,
> > scripts, etc. etc....
> >
> > What happend with new server SID? Do I have to rejoin something or
> > not?
> > Can the users log on to this new machine? The workstations are win2000
> > prof, win98. And there is another win2000 server (mail and internet
> > server) joined to this domain.
> > Do I have to take care of special things?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> Seeing that one expects a very high degree of reliability from
> a server, I would never move an existing installation to new
> hardware. I would rebuild the server.

If you do a clean install on the new server and set it up as a domain
controller most of the settings will be migrated to the new machine. Then
all you have to do is demote the original server to member server and use
dcpromo on the new server to promote it to what one might consider to be the
PDC even though Active Directory uses Multi-master Replication which means
that all changes are instantly replicated on all other servers. Some of my
terminology might be off but I know that this works because I've been part
of a migration of this type. The important thing to remember is that you
must demote the former primary Domain Controller before promoting the other
one to the primary. I'm not sure if DNS and DHCP are migrated but the
orginal server can continue to serve those while you manually set those up
on the new server. I would think that at a minimum DNS would be migrated as
well considering how closely tied it is to Active Directory. DHCP isn't
really too hard to deal with unless you have something really convoluted so
as long as you can migrate user accounts, profiles, etc the rest should be
simple.
Either way I recommend you do it when everyone has gone home for the
weekend. :)

Joe

jorge

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

Thanks for your replies!!!!
But I really need to know if can it work what I want to do? I need to
make a clean installation and install everything from scratch, because
I am far away from this server, and want to save time putting it in
all, before I get the place where it is. And there, unplug the old
server and plug the new one.

Again this fatal question (for me):
Will this be work??

"Joe" <user@host.com> wrote in message news:<z9-dnft-YNHB9_XcRVn-vw@rogers.com>...
> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Jorge" <jbarello@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I need to change a Win2000 Server that is the file server, Active
> > > Directory, Domain Controller, DNS, DHCP, has the Group Policies, user
> > > scripts, because this is a old machine.
> > >
> > > First I tried with the Microsoft kb 249694, "How to move a windows
> > > 2000 installation to different hardware", with a State Backup. And I
> > > had the server with services on (DNS, DHCP, etc.), but no group
> > > policies, no users profiles, it is useless for me.
> > >
> > > So this is my questions:
> > >
> > > What happen if I install the new machine, with the same software
> > > win2000 server, and put/create the same netbios name, the same range
> > > DHCP, same DNS, same IP address, same services, Group policies, files,
> > > scripts, etc. etc....
> > >
> > > What happend with new server SID? Do I have to rejoin something or
> > > not?
> > > Can the users log on to this new machine? The workstations are win2000
> > > prof, win98. And there is another win2000 server (mail and internet
> > > server) joined to this domain.
> > > Do I have to take care of special things?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Seeing that one expects a very high degree of reliability from
> > a server, I would never move an existing installation to new
> > hardware. I would rebuild the server.
> >

> If you do a clean install on the new server and set it up as a domain
> controller most of the settings will be migrated to the new machine. Then
> all you have to do is demote the original server to member server and use
> dcpromo on the new server to promote it to what one might consider to be the
> PDC even though Active Directory uses Multi-master Replication which means
> that all changes are instantly replicated on all other servers. Some of my
> terminology might be off but I know that this works because I've been part
> of a migration of this type. The important thing to remember is that you
> must demote the former primary Domain Controller before promoting the other
> one to the primary. I'm not sure if DNS and DHCP are migrated but the
> orginal server can continue to serve those while you manually set those up
> on the new server. I would think that at a minimum DNS would be migrated as
> well considering how closely tied it is to Active Directory. DHCP isn't
> really too hard to deal with unless you have something really convoluted so
> as long as you can migrate user accounts, profiles, etc the rest should be
> simple.
> Either way I recommend you do it when everyone has gone home for the
> weekend. :)
>
> Joe

Joe

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

Possibly you could get another system with the exact same (not similar)
hardware and clone the hard drive. That should work.

Joe

> Thanks for your replies!!!!
> But I really need to know if can it work what I want to do? I need to
> make a clean installation and install everything from scratch, because
> I am far away from this server, and want to save time putting it in
> all, before I get the place where it is. And there, unplug the old
> server and plug the new one.
>
> Again this fatal question (for me):
> Will this be work??
>

> "Joe" <user@host.com> wrote in message
> > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Jorge" <jbarello@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > > Seeing that one expects a very high degree of reliability from
> > > a server, I would never move an existing installation to new
> > > hardware. I would rebuild the server.
> > >

> > If you do a clean install on the new server and set it up as a domain
> > controller most of the settings will be migrated to the new machine.
Then
> > all you have to do is demote the original server to member server and
use
> > dcpromo on the new server to promote it to what one might consider to be
the
> > PDC even though Active Directory uses Multi-master Replication which
means
> > that all changes are instantly replicated on all other servers. Some of
my
> > terminology might be off but I know that this works because I've been
part
> > of a migration of this type. The important thing to remember is that
you
> > must demote the former primary Domain Controller before promoting the
other
> > one to the primary. I'm not sure if DNS and DHCP are migrated but the
> > orginal server can continue to serve those while you manually set those
up
> > on the new server. I would think that at a minimum DNS would be
migrated as
> > well considering how closely tied it is to Active Directory. DHCP isn't
> > really too hard to deal with unless you have something really convoluted
so
> > as long as you can migrate user accounts, profiles, etc the rest should
be
> > simple.
> > Either way I recommend you do it when everyone has gone home for the
> > weekend. :)
> >
> > Joe

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

If I was a long way from this server then I would do this:
1. Build up the new server in my workshop.
2. Load all the necessary applications.
3. Test Terminal Services by setting up a Remote Desktop session.
4. Let it soak in for a week.
5. Take a snapshot image of drive C:.
6. Deliver, install and commission it.

This approach would protect me from nasty surprises,
now and in future.