"Spore" only out in April next year, sigh*

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Not sure if you guys have seen this, but seriously, sometimes I dont know what these game developers are thinking when they say they expect a game to come out. In Jan 06, they were saying this game would be out by Dec 2006. We're now looking at April 2008. What a GD joke.

Taken from the WSJ:

WSJ: EA has said it wants to rely less on licensing intellectual property like movie characters for its games and beef up its roster of titles that are wholly owned by the company. How has your progress been on that front?

Mr. Probst: I think this year we'll end up with wholly owned IP representing about 40% of our business. I think we're on a good track. Spore [a personal-computer game expected out by April next year] is obviously something that we have high hopes for. We're resurrecting the Command and Conquer franchise, which we acquired a few years back. We've got Army of Two in development, which we think has great potential.

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Not sure if you guys have seen this, but seriously, sometimes I dont know what these game developers are thinking when they say they expect a game to come out. In Jan 06, they were saying this game would be out by Dec 2006. We're now looking at April 2008. What a GD joke.

Taken from the WSJ:

WSJ: EA has said it wants to rely less on licensing intellectual property like movie characters for its games and beef up its roster of titles that are wholly owned by the company. How has your progress been on that front?

Mr. Probst: I think this year we'll end up with wholly owned IP representing about 40% of our business. I think we're on a good track. Spore [a personal-computer game expected out by April next year] is obviously something that we have high hopes for. We're resurrecting the Command and Conquer franchise, which we acquired a few years back. We've got Army of Two in development, which we think has great potential.
Uh, OK.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
More info. No comment:

WSJ: How do you strike a balance between keeping people on your creative teams on deadline and budget, and giving game designers like Will Wright the freedom to do what they do best?

Mr. Probst: Will Wright's our Steven Spielberg. Will kind of gets to do whatever he wants, whenever he wants, and we pretty much think it's going to turn out well. His track record is Sim City and Sims, and we think he's on a terrific trajectory with Spore [which will allow players to guide the development of creatures from single-celled organisms to complex societies].