Samsung HLP4663W - Is Act together, or not?

Last response: in Home Theatre
a b Ô Samsung
August 30, 2004 9:21:07 PM

Hi,

I have been wanting to buy a Samsung HLP 4663 W. However, I keep
hearing about problems. Sychronization?, Blinking lights?

Does anyone know if they have a reliable product out there yet?

Also, does it make sense to wait for a newer set with more segments on
the color wheel?

Confused,

Herb G.

More about : samsung hlp4663w act

August 30, 2004 9:21:08 PM

Would like to know too. I think this is the set we are going w/ in new
living room.

Ive researched the Sonys & they seem to had some bulb issues in past. When
fiance & i compated the visual quality, we both thought the Samsung looked
better.

"Herb G" <herb@allmilitaria.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have been wanting to buy a Samsung HLP 4663 W. However, I keep hearing
> about problems. Sychronization?, Blinking lights?
>
> Does anyone know if they have a reliable product out there yet?
>
> Also, does it make sense to wait for a newer set with more segments on the
> color wheel?
>
> Confused,
>
> Herb G.

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
August 30, 2004 11:05:22 PM

Check out the Hitachi and Thompson models before jumping for the Samsung.
"Brian" <noname@html.com> wrote in message
> Would like to know too. I think this is the set we are going w/ in new
> living room.
>
> Ive researched the Sonys & they seem to had some bulb issues in past.
> When fiance & i compated the visual quality, we both thought the Samsung
> looked better.
>

> "Herb G" <herb@allmilitaria.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been wanting to buy a Samsung HLP 4663 W. However, I keep hearing
>> about problems. Sychronization?, Blinking lights?
>>
>> Does anyone know if they have a reliable product out there yet?
>>
>> Also, does it make sense to wait for a newer set with more segments on
>> the color wheel?
>>
>> Confused,
>>
>> Herb G.

a b Ô Samsung
August 30, 2004 11:51:36 PM

Herb G wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been wanting to buy a Samsung HLP 4663 W. However, I keep
> hearing about problems. Sychronization?, Blinking lights?
>
> Does anyone know if they have a reliable product out there yet?
>
> Also, does it make sense to wait for a newer set with more segments on
> the color wheel?
>
> Confused,
>
> Herb G.

All of the HLP models use a 7 segment color wheel, so there are not
going to be any upgrades in that area this model year. Yea, there has
been the press articles on using 5 different colors to better map the
color space, but you won't likely see any TVs with that until next year
at the earliest.

For problem info, go to the RP forum on avsforum.com. I see enough
reports of problems on there to make me a bit leery of buying the
Samsung, but that is my take on it. Besides I rather wait until the
HLPxx74 or xx77 tabletop models with the HD2+ chip come out (October for
the 74 supposedly) to see how they look.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
August 31, 2004 7:29:00 AM

"Herb G" <herb@allmilitaria.com> wrote in message
> I have been wanting to buy a Samsung HLP 4663 W. However, I keep hearing
> about problems. Sychronization?, Blinking lights?

The audio sync problem was on some of the HLN models and Samsung stood
behind their sets and either fixed or replaced them. That is no longer a
problem on the HLP models.

The blinking lights means that your bulb has burned out. There was a bad
batch of bulbs that went out and hence people were seeing the blinking
lights. Those were also replaced under warranty.

> Does anyone know if they have a reliable product out there yet?

I plan to buy one so I hope so!

> Also, does it make sense to wait for a newer set with more segments on the
> color wheel?

The HLP models are up to a 7-segment color wheel. I haven't even heard any
preliminary talk of more segments so I wouldn't wait on it.

Brad
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
August 31, 2004 1:52:04 PM

"Brian" <noname@html.com> wrote in message
> Would like to know too. I think this is the set we are going w/ in new
> living room.
>
> Ive researched the Sonys & they seem to had some bulb issues in past.
When
> fiance & i compated the visual quality, we both thought the Samsung looked
> better.
>

> "Herb G" <herb@allmilitaria.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been wanting to buy a Samsung HLP 4663 W. However, I keep
hearing
> > about problems. Sychronization?, Blinking lights?
> >
> > Does anyone know if they have a reliable product out there yet?
> >
> > Also, does it make sense to wait for a newer set with more segments on
the
> > color wheel?
> >
> > Confused,
> >
> > Herb G.

All DLP and LCD projection sets have the lamp issue. They all purchase from
Phillips who has a lamp "issue". In the Samsung it's called a blinking led
problem. When the lamp doesn't fire-up the green led continues to blink
untill all three leds flash then it retries to start from the beginning
untill finally it goes into shutdown.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
September 1, 2004 2:56:33 PM

I have been told that both the 74 and 77 series have been cancelled and are
being replaced by a newer model. The problem is an issue with the cable
cards, I am told.

"Alan Figgatt" <afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Herb G wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been wanting to buy a Samsung HLP 4663 W. However, I keep
> > hearing about problems. Sychronization?, Blinking lights?
> >
> > Does anyone know if they have a reliable product out there yet?
> >
> > Also, does it make sense to wait for a newer set with more segments on
> > the color wheel?
> >
> > Confused,
> >
> > Herb G.
>
> All of the HLP models use a 7 segment color wheel, so there are not
> going to be any upgrades in that area this model year. Yea, there has
> been the press articles on using 5 different colors to better map the
> color space, but you won't likely see any TVs with that until next year
> at the earliest.
>
> For problem info, go to the RP forum on avsforum.com. I see enough
> reports of problems on there to make me a bit leery of buying the
> Samsung, but that is my take on it. Besides I rather wait until the
> HLPxx74 or xx77 tabletop models with the HD2+ chip come out (October for
> the 74 supposedly) to see how they look.

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
September 3, 2004 7:56:14 AM

I think it's only the 77 series that got cancelled, at least according to
avsforum. The difference between the 74 and 77 series was that the 77 would
have integrated tuner and cablecard. Only the 74 will apparently be making
it to market and the 97 series (xHD3 chip) has been pushed out until next
year. Bummer.

Brad

!