Sign in with
Your question

NVIDIA ships 128 core gp-gpu

Last response: in CPUs
March 5, 2007 1:36:03 PM

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/peripherals/nvidia-ships-128core-graphics-cards-for-highend-film-editors-graphics-pros-apple-excited-241478.php

I did not see that comming.... 4 years 500million to develope.... they skipped 8, 16, 32, 64 cores.... 128 cores operating at 1.35Ghz....

But is this enough to run Vista 'full featuered' :D  Sorry - couldn't help myself....
March 5, 2007 1:39:38 PM

Unfortunately this sounds like another misleading article attempting to induce hype with a false claim.

Quote:
these parallel processing monsters have the rough equivalent of 128 1.35GHz processors cranking away at graphics in a whole new way.

"Rough equivalent"?
March 5, 2007 1:50:53 PM

Is seems to be a legitimate gp-gpu to me though.... It says:
Quote:
These cards have more circuitry than ever, with three quarters of a billion transistors on board, and NVIDIA says not only can they display larger graphics faster than ever but use a concept called GP-GPU, allowing general-purpose programs to run on the GPU instead of the CPU.

It is still impressive, even if each core were only 100Mhz.... I think they are giving the equivilent because, just like cpu's you can't tell the speed by the Ghz/Mhz clock anymore.... So if it is indeed 128 cores each doing 1.35billion calclations a seconds... that is hugh....
Related resources
March 5, 2007 1:56:40 PM

What I meant was the article is total bullshit. The Quadro cards have one core, the Quadro Plex has up to four. The article does do a good job of mashing fancy, impressive sounding names together into what's supposed to be a convincing presentation.
March 5, 2007 2:00:17 PM

Ok...I cant tell, is this fake? It sounds real enough. But wtf? 128 cores? Seriously?
March 5, 2007 2:05:46 PM

Quote:
Ok...I cant tell, is this fake? It sounds real enough. But wtf? 128 cores? Seriously?

I'd say that the title itself a dirty lie, but everything else in the article is to some extent true. You'll notice the only place in the article where they mention 128 cores is where they say "the rough equivalent of 128 1.35GHz processors". It seems pretty much fancy terminology meant to impress.
March 5, 2007 2:08:19 PM

I could be wrong, but I think when they say 128 cores at 1.35GHz, they are merely referring to the 128 shader (stream) processors that make up the single core of the 8800GTX. Smells like marketing hype.

Quote:
The stream processors of 8800GTX, for example, operate at a 1.35 GHz clock rate while some of the chip is at 575 MHz with other intermediate rates throughout

Citation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_8_Series

Other source:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
March 5, 2007 2:12:17 PM

Quote:
I could be wrong, but I think when they say 128 cores at 1.35GHz, they are merely referring to the 128 shader (stream) processors that make up the single core of the 8800GTX. Smells like marketing hype.

Citation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_8_Series

Other source:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

My thoughts exactly. This may be a new model of Quadro, but seeing as the old Quadro is just a G71 core, I imagine this is just a G80 core.
March 5, 2007 2:14:15 PM

The FX4600 sells for $1995, the FX5600 for $2995, and no price yet set for the top line model. Somehow this is a bit out of the price range of most enthusiasts, including myself.

Then again, I could see some rich guy asking if he could buy two for his SLI machine.
March 5, 2007 2:29:08 PM

well everyone,

they certainly got my heart pumping this early monday morning.... Gizmodo is not known for crappy reporting, so I am surprised they got this one so wrong....
March 5, 2007 5:26:10 PM

im not sure they did get it wrong...according to Nvidia that card is a whole new design over the 8 series, and other two new quadro cards...it is very likely, that is the first idication of what the 9 series cards will be capable of
March 5, 2007 5:39:32 PM

Quote:
im not sure they did get it wrong...according to Nvidia that card is a whole new design over the 8 series, and other two new quadro cards...it is very likely, that is the first idication of what the 9 series cards will be capable of

Um, I might be mistaken, but you seem to be under the impression that this article is talking about three different variations of the new Quadro. I can see why someone might interpret it that way, it seems this entire article is meant to misinform.

There are actually only two cards, the Quadro 4600 and 5600. Quadro Plex is the name of the entire system that nVidia sells that uses the Quadro cards. It's just a case containing Quadro cards, not a card itself.

"roughly equivalent" to 128 cores? --> 128 stream processors in the G80.

Three quarters of a billion transistors? --> 681 billion transistors in the G80.
March 5, 2007 5:42:52 PM

These cards have a brand-new GPU architecture on board, representing a brand new approach to graphics, where NVIDIA goes away from the pipeline model and into parallel processing.

straight from the article...the 8 series till uses a pipeline bases design
March 5, 2007 5:49:57 PM

Lame; it's just an overpriced 8800GTX. :roll:
March 5, 2007 5:50:08 PM

Once nVIDIA buys AMDTI, it'll look like this. :D 

March 5, 2007 5:55:35 PM

Quote:
These cards have a brand-new GPU architecture on board, representing a brand new approach to graphics, where NVIDIA goes away from the pipeline model and into parallel processing.

straight from the article...the 8 series till uses a pipeline bases design

Dude, don't you get it? The "brand new GPU architecture" IS the G80. The G80 was nVidia going away from the vertex/pixel pipelines and using unified shaders.

Just look at part of this nVidia press release for the 8800:

The GeForce 8800 GPUs are the world's first to support Microsoft® DirectX® 10, the next-generation programming interface that will be introduced with the upcoming Microsoft Vista™ operating system. The GeForce 8800 GPUs feature a number of groundbreaking technologies including:

* A revolutionary new unified shader architecture comprised of up to 128-parallel, 1.35GHz stream processors that deliver amazing floating point processing power for unmatched gaming performance

* NVIDIA Quantum Effects physics processing technology that ushers in a new generation of visual effects and graphics realism

* Simultaneous 16x anti-aliasing and 128-bit High Dynamic Range (HDR) lighting for unparalleled image quality

Now, doesn't that first bullet sound awfully familiar from the Quadro article?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_37234.html

The entire article is obviously hoping to overwhelm the reader with 'technical' terms and convince them the new Quadro is something sensational.
March 5, 2007 6:17:33 PM

Quote:
The entire article is obviously hoping to overwhelm the reader with 'technical' terms and convince them the new Quadro is something sensational.
It is pure garbage.
March 5, 2007 6:25:46 PM

Wow only $2999 each! I'll have two for SLI. 8O
!