problem during win2000 startup

Forgive me if I've butted into the wrong newsgroup. I
have searched everywhere for a solution to this
annoyance. During startup, I get the usual desktop screen
with my icons, but as the sys tray (?) loads ( the tray in
the bottom right corner of the screen ), my documents
superimposes itself over the desktop. Being slow to load,
it takes about 10 seconds before I can x out to get back
to desktop. Can anyone provide a solution???

Well, I suggest that you double click my computer then go to:

C:\Documents and Settings\(your profile name)\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

And make sure that there is nothing here that is starting up that
shouldn't. You should also check this place:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

If these don't help then I suggest you go to Start - Run and typr MSConfig:
This program will help you to see what is in your startup and disable it.
You can even choose diagnostic and boot with minimal drivers and programs
and then go back putting them back in place one at a time till you find the
one that is causing you your issue.

After any of the above changes you will need to logout and back in to
verify that your change was successful.

Hope this helps and have a nice day...

Best Regards,
Jody Atkins
Microsoft Online Support Engineer
from your issue.
Let me know if you have any other questions or if I can help.

--------------------
| From: "smarl" <smarlatt4@cogeco.com>
| Sender: "smarl" <smarlatt4@cogeco.com>
| Subject: problem during win2000 startup
| Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 04:59:09 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup
|
| Forgive me if I've butted into the wrong newsgroup. I
| have searched everywhere for a solution to this
| annoyance. During startup, I get the usual desktop screen
| with my icons, but as the sys tray (?) loads ( the tray in
| the bottom right corner of the screen ), my documents
| superimposes itself over the desktop. Being slow to load,
| it takes about 10 seconds before I can x out to get back
| to desktop. Can anyone provide a solution???

I'm a bit surprised the a purported Microsoft rep doesn't know that
MSConfig is not included in Win 2000.

If you have access to an XP machine, you can copy misconfig.exe and
msconfig.hlp from there, or you can find unauthorized copies on various
web sites. A far better soltions, though, is to use the Startup Control
Panle from Mike Lin <http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml>, or Autoruns
from SysInternals <http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml>.

--
Gary L. Smith gls432@yahoo.com