Closed

Windows 2000 Pro Setup hangs during "Registers Components"

When running Windows 2000 Pro Setup, the install goes correctly until after
the final setup menu, then comes "registers components" and the system just
stays there.

The mouse works, I can move the Widnows setup window around the screen, but
it does not progress any further.

If I reboot the machines, setup reruns and then stops again at this same
place.

Can anyone please help?

I tried:

safe mode
safe mode with console
safe mode with network support

normal mode
debug mode

all of them do the same thing.

Please post and e-mail me the resolutions, please!!

jorge_schulz@hotmail.com
5 answers Last reply
More about windows 2000 setup hangs registers components

    I suggest that next time it gets to that step press Shift and F10 together
    and then typetskmgr and you should be able to look at process and see what
    is causing the hang. You can then stop the process and the setup will
    complete. If you see an excessive amout of processes (ex. 30 GRPCONV.EXE
    processes) running you can assume that is too many and start stopping them.

    If that doesn't work another fix that I have run into was swapping the
    Memory chips (remove them and put them back in but in the other chips slot)
    then reboot and let setup continue.

    I hope this helps and hanve a nice day...

    Best Regards,
    Jody Atkins
    Microsoft Online Support Engineer
    from your issue.
    Let me know if you have any other questions or if I can help.

    --------------------
    Schulz@discussions.microsoft.com>
    | Subject: Windows 2000 Pro Setup hangs during "Registers Components"
    | Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:57:02 -0700
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup
    |
    | When running Windows 2000 Pro Setup, the install goes correctly until
    after
    | the final setup menu, then comes "registers components" and the system
    just
    | stays there.
    |
    | The mouse works, I can move the Widnows setup window around the screen,
    but
    | it does not progress any further.
    |
    | If I reboot the machines, setup reruns and then stops again at this same
    | place.
    |
    | Can anyone please help?
    |
    | I tried:
    |
    | safe mode
    | safe mode with console
    | safe mode with network support
    |
    | normal mode
    | debug mode
    |
    | all of them do the same thing.
    |
    | Please post and e-mail me the resolutions, please!!
    |
    | jorge_schulz@hotmail.com

    From another forum - a very similar but more detailed solution that does
    work:

    I've found a possible work-around to the problem. When setup stops
    on "Registers Components", do the following:

    1) Press Shift-F10 to bring up the console.
    2) Type taskmgr and hit enter to bring up the task manager.
    3) Click the Processes tab.
    4) Click on fixmapi.exe or rundll32.exe. The problem may also be with
    one of the other programs that are started up during this stage of the

    setup procedure.
    5) Click the End Process button.
    6) When the warning pops up, click Yes to kill the process.

    If you don't see either of those two names in the process list, try
    killing
    other processes. You can open up the task manager before the setup
    program gets to the "Registers Components" stage and watch the
    processes start and stop. This may give you a better idea of which
    process is holding up the setup procedure.

    I noticed that the stall occurs on my machine soon after rundll32.exe
    starts up. When I closed the task manager and reopened it, I noticed a

    program called fixmapi.exe had basically taken the place of
    rundll32.exe. I killed fixmapi.exe, which promptly averted the stall.

    This works around the stall, but doesn't fix the cause of the problem.

    The installation completed successfully, but I got a couple of errors
    along the way. There were two Java install errors, and two "copy error"

    messages which stated that msvidctl.dll could not be copied. I chose
    to ignore these.

    I believe that msvidctl.dll is an activeX streaming video component.
    Not exactly a critical system component that you can't live without, so

    no big deal. But, what would cause this problem to happen in the first

    place?

    DLL's were wiped from my system due to a furious battle with a
    nagging virus. I won, but at the price of a few system files. That was

    the reason I was trying to do a repair install. Perhaps something else

    happened along the way that I'm not aware of.

    Hope this information helps others.

    --
    jones96744
    jones96744's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=5098