Installing a W2K Server

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

I am installing a W2K Server with Active Directory running for 10 users. We
do not have an external or internal DNS and we connect to the Internet via
DSL (phone company ISP). How can I accomplish this without DNS errors?

What would I put in the line that asks for the domain?

Any help would be greatly apreciated. Thank you.

Randy wrote:
> I am installing a W2K Server with Active Directory running for 10
> users. We do not have an external or internal DNS and we connect to
> the Internet via DSL (phone company ISP). How can I accomplish this
> without DNS errors?
>
> What would I put in the line that asks for the domain?
>
> Any help would be greatly apreciated. Thank you.

Well, AD requires DNS - you need internal DNS on this server. Name your
domain something like mycompany.local in AD. All servers and workstations
should specify *only* the internal AD-integrated DNS server's IP address in
their network settings. The AD-integrated DNS server should be set up with
forwarders to your ISP's DNS servers for external resolution, and/or use
root hints.

See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202 for more
info.