Slow boot of Win 2K

Hi

I recently installed Win 2K on one of my networked computers. I have Win
2K also on a notebook computer. The boot time for the new installation
is extremely slow ( 5 minutes or more) with an solid activity of the
hard disk during the boot process.

Boot time on my notebook is on the order of 1+ minutes. Does anyone have
any ideas on why the boot time is so long on my tower based computer?
The processors are both around 1.2 GHZ and the memory is the same in
both machines. Any help will be appreciated.

Dave
golferdc@charter.net

Dave

The ntdetect.com file is detecting hardware each time you boot, so if
hardware differs it might take longer time for it to detect your hardware
configuration on the tower PC.

There is a special version of ntdetect.com, that can report what it is
finding. Perhaps this version can help you troubleshoot. This MS Knowledge
Base article describes what to do:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=320040

Best regards

Bjorn
Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)