Reinstallation of WIN2K

Is it possible to reinstall Windows 2000 and retain registry
information and whatever it takes to run the old applications.
(I.e. intitialization files, dll's, etc)

WIN 2k was reinstalled in a new "wint" directory and almost
none of the old applications could find their .dll's. What a downer!!

What, if anything, would have survived had I over written the
original directory?

PAUL M wrote:
> Is it possible to reinstall Windows 2000 and retain registry
> information and whatever it takes to run the old applications.
> (I.e. intitialization files, dll's, etc)
>
> WIN 2k was reinstalled in a new "wint" directory and almost
> none of the old applications could find their .dll's. What a
> downer!!
>
> What, if anything, would have survived had I over written the
> original directory?

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175

What an In-Place Win2K Upgrade Changes and What It Doesn't
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH

Paul

Reinstalling over an old installation is called an in-place upgrade. This
MS Knowledge Base article describes what it does and what it doesn't do:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306952

This article also links to another article that describes how to perform an
in-place upgrade.

Best regards

Bjorn
Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)