Windows 2k3 Group Policy Setup

I am sorry to post this in here, but I can't find the Windows Server 2003
section since Microsoft redid the site.

I have a school in which students log in from many different computers. I
don't want to use Roaming Profiles because that could get to be too network
intensive. Basically, they want to be able to access there My Documents from
anywhere which I can do through a group policy and folder redirection. They
also want to be able to get there IE Favorites on any pc they log in to. Can
this be accomplished through Group policies or any other way? Thanks.

Joe

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

You should be able to implement a GPO to redirect the My Documents folder
without having to use roaming profiles. As long as the user logging in is
using a domain account, the per user policy will apply.

For the favourites, you could implement a login script (specified in another
GPO), to copy the shortcuts from a user folder on a server. I.e. user 'jdoe'
would have a share on the server called 'jdoe$' which contained his
favourites & the script would use the %username% environment variable to
copy from the %username%$ share into the favourites folder in his local
profile. For my money, once you've bothered to do all this, you might as
well use roaming profiles.