Upgrade to XP Pro in place

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
October 15, 2004 1:01:27 AM

I am considering upgrading to XP Pro and I currently have a fully
operating and up-to-date 2000 Pro system.

I am getting the MS Upgrade Assistant to evaluate all of my
applications for XP Pro.

According to MS, XP Pro is a permitted upgrade to W2000. THIS IS AN
UPGRADE, NOT A CLEAN INSTALL.

Here is my question: Is it advisable or not to upgrade W2000 Pro to
XP Pro? The advantage is that all my apps do not need to be
re-installed and all of my preferences are kept intact as well as all
of my data files.

When I upgraded my W98SE to W2000, I ended up replacing all of my
hardware drivers and I had to re-install most of my apps. I really
regretted not doing a clean install with W2000 and I don't want to
make a similiar mistake in going to XP Pro.

Expert: Comments or advice?

More about : upgrade pro place

Anonymous
October 15, 2004 1:01:28 AM

Rich wrote:
> I am considering upgrading to XP Pro and I currently have a fully
> operating and up-to-date 2000 Pro system.
>
> I am getting the MS Upgrade Assistant to evaluate all of my
> applications for XP Pro.
>
> According to MS, XP Pro is a permitted upgrade to W2000. THIS IS AN
> UPGRADE, NOT A CLEAN INSTALL.
>
> Here is my question: Is it advisable or not to upgrade W2000 Pro to
> XP Pro? The advantage is that all my apps do not need to be
> re-installed and all of my preferences are kept intact as well as
> all
> of my data files.
>
> When I upgraded my W98SE to W2000, I ended up replacing all of my
> hardware drivers and I had to re-install most of my apps. I really
> regretted not doing a clean install with W2000 and I don't want to
> make a similiar mistake in going to XP Pro.
>
> Expert: Comments or advice?

Some people will recommend that you perform a clean installation,
rather than upgrade over an earlier OS. For the most part, I feel
that these people, while well-meaning, are living in the past, and are
basing their recommendation on their experiences with older operating
systems. You'd probably save a lot of time by upgrading your PC to
WinXP, rather than performing a clean installation, if you've no
hardware or software incompatibilities. Microsoft has greatly
improved (over earlier versions of Windows) WinXP's ability to
smoothly upgrade an earlier OS.

WinXP is designed to install and upgrade the existing operating
system while simultaneously preserving your applications and data, and
translating as many personalized settings as possible. The process is
designed to be, and normally is, quite painless. That said, things
can go wrong, in a small number of cases. If your data is at all
important to you, back it up before proceeding.

Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
(http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
hardware components or applications.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH
October 16, 2004 12:05:33 PM

"Rich" <grstidge@localnet.com> wrote in message
> I am considering upgrading to XP Pro and I currently have a fully
> operating and up-to-date 2000 Pro system.
>
> I am getting the MS Upgrade Assistant to evaluate all of my
> applications for XP Pro.
>
> According to MS, XP Pro is a permitted upgrade to W2000. THIS IS AN
> UPGRADE, NOT A CLEAN INSTALL.
>
> Here is my question: Is it advisable or not to upgrade W2000 Pro to
> XP Pro? The advantage is that all my apps do not need to be
> re-installed and all of my preferences are kept intact as well as all
> of my data files.
>
> When I upgraded my W98SE to W2000, I ended up replacing all of my
> hardware drivers and I had to re-install most of my apps. I really
> regretted not doing a clean install with W2000 and I don't want to
> make a similiar mistake in going to XP Pro.
>
> Expert: Comments or advice?

since XP and win2K are both NT based OS's you will probably
not have a problem...
(upgrading win9x to XP can be a problem however)
October 16, 2004 4:55:58 PM

Rich wrote:
> I am considering upgrading to XP Pro and I currently have a fully
> operating and up-to-date 2000 Pro system.
>
> I am getting the MS Upgrade Assistant to evaluate all of my
> applications for XP Pro.
>
> According to MS, XP Pro is a permitted upgrade to W2000. THIS IS AN
> UPGRADE, NOT A CLEAN INSTALL.
>
> Here is my question: Is it advisable or not to upgrade W2000 Pro to
> XP Pro? The advantage is that all my apps do not need to be
> re-installed and all of my preferences are kept intact as well as all
> of my data files.
>
> When I upgraded my W98SE to W2000, I ended up replacing all of my
> hardware drivers and I had to re-install most of my apps. I really
> regretted not doing a clean install with W2000 and I don't want to
> make a similiar mistake in going to XP Pro.
>
> Expert: Comments or advice?

I agree with Bruce & Philo's replies. XP upgrades from 2k (or XP Pro from XP
Home) are usually painless....for any other kind of upgrade, I recommend a
clean install. Just make sure you do a good backup of all your data first,
and unplug everything except your keyboard, monitor and mouse. Also might
want to download XP drivers for NIC, video, audio from the mfr's website and
save them in a temp folder so that you can install them post upgrade if
there are problems, and not have to use sneakernet.
October 23, 2004 2:01:20 AM

I have just upgraded my W2000 Pro to XP Pro and now have a problem
with the opening of Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer.

Both open but take 1-2 minutes. Once open, Internet Explorer seems to
perform normally.

When I open Windows Explorer, I get the search flashlight for 1-2
minutes, then I can open sub folders with minimal delay.

I have not yet applied SP2, but I am about to do that.

My W2000 system was configured with another computer on it's network,
but I have not yet attempted to network this upgraded OS.

Windows Experts: Any ideas?

BTW, is there a newsgroup similiar to this one that is dedicated to
XP? I have looked through the listings and I haven't found one.

TIA, Rich
October 23, 2004 9:57:23 PM

Rich <grstidge@localnet.com> wrote:

>I have just upgraded my W2000 Pro to XP Pro and now have a problem
>with the opening of Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer.
>
>Both open but take 1-2 minutes. Once open, Internet Explorer seems to
>perform normally.
>
>When I open Windows Explorer, I get the search flashlight for 1-2
>minutes, then I can open sub folders with minimal delay.
>
>I have not yet applied SP2, but I am about to do that.
>
>My W2000 system was configured with another computer on it's network,
>but I have not yet attempted to network this upgraded OS.
>
>Windows Experts: Any ideas?
>
>BTW, is there a newsgroup similiar to this one that is dedicated to
>XP? I have looked through the listings and I haven't found one.
>
>TIA, Rich

I have just discovered that ANY program that needs to get a directory
on the HD gets hung up for a similiar time 2-3 minutes.

I have disabled my network and all sharing.

Rich
October 24, 2004 1:53:10 AM

I have solved the problem - almost.

I finally found on MS Knowledgebase article 819017 which identifies a
HP Scanjet 5470c as being one of the potential causes for the
slowopening.

Sure enough, that was it. now I just have to go to HP and see if
there exists a solid fix.

Rich
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 2:43:47 PM

Rich wrote:
> I have solved the problem - almost.
>
> I finally found on MS Knowledgebase article 819017 which identifies a
> HP Scanjet 5470c as being one of the potential causes for the
> slowopening.
>
> Sure enough, that was it. now I just have to go to HP and see if
> there exists a solid fix.
>
> Rich

Was the scanner connected when you performed the upgrade?
October 24, 2004 6:24:01 PM

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:

>Rich wrote:
>> I have solved the problem - almost.
>>
>> I finally found on MS Knowledgebase article 819017 which identifies a
>> HP Scanjet 5470c as being one of the potential causes for the
>> slowopening.
>>
>> Sure enough, that was it. now I just have to go to HP and see if
>> there exists a solid fix.
>>
>> Rich
>
>Was the scanner connected when you performed the upgrade?

Yes it was connected. I know that you recommended disconnecting
everything except the KB, monitor, and mouse. I guess I didn't
realize that it would be a problem. I should have asked why it was
adviseable to disconnect everything.

Rich
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 8:04:27 PM

Rich wrote:
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Rich wrote:
>>> I have solved the problem - almost.
>>>
>>> I finally found on MS Knowledgebase article 819017 which identifies
>>> a HP Scanjet 5470c as being one of the potential causes for the
>>> slowopening.
>>>
>>> Sure enough, that was it. now I just have to go to HP and see if
>>> there exists a solid fix.
>>>
>>> Rich
>>
>> Was the scanner connected when you performed the upgrade?
>>

> Yes it was connected. I know that you recommended disconnecting
> everything except the KB, monitor, and mouse. I guess I didn't
> realize that it would be a problem. I should have asked why it was
> adviseable to disconnect everything.

Ah, yes, indeedy.
Also uninstalling antivirus software.

!