Endless loop during CLEAN INSTALL

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
October 15, 2004 2:09:06 AM

After installing a new PcChips M902ULR Mother board I deleted all partitions
off the HDD
And went to a clean install of Win 2K PRO>
It will install all the way to the end where the install program is “SAVEING
SETTINGS�
Then half way completed the system will reboot, look for peripherals, Edit
REG, start to save settings, & reboot again.

So I cleaned the HDD again and tried installing XP HOME
And this program does the same thing at the very same place of the install!!

Any suggestions?

More about : endless loop clean install

Anonymous
October 15, 2004 12:22:59 PM

To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
prompts.

Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D...
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...

You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the Windows 2000
setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection,
and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to
insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
controller in drive "A"

If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"emt706" wrote:
| After installing a new PcChips M902ULR Mother board I deleted all
partitions
| off the HDD
| And went to a clean install of Win 2K PRO>
| It will install all the way to the end where the install program is
"SAVEING
| SETTINGS"
| Then half way completed the system will reboot, look for peripherals, Edit
| REG, start to save settings, & reboot again.
|
| So I cleaned the HDD again and tried installing XP HOME
| And this program does the same thing at the very same place of the
install!!

| Any suggestions?

Anonymous
October 15, 2004 6:13:08 PM

Thank you for your time here Dave!!

I do understand this, I have already tried the deletion and Both CD & Floopy
installs.
I know have tried the "F6" and got to the place where I need to press "S"
but at that time it wants me to insert the floopy with chipset drivers and
all I have is a CD and the drive (on CD) for my INTEL 850 Chipset is 2+MB in
size and I can't get it on a standard floppy?

Is there another way I can get these drivers installed?

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
> disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
> CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
> makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
> prompts.
>
> When you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions
> found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again
> restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid unexpected drive
> letter assignments with your new install.
>
> Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D...
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...
>
> You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
> ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the Windows 2000
> setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
> inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection,
> and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to
> insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
> controller in drive "A"
>
> If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
> late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
> resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "emt706" wrote:
> | After installing a new PcChips M902ULR Mother board I deleted all
> partitions
> | off the HDD
> | And went to a clean install of Win 2K PRO>
> | It will install all the way to the end where the install program is
> "SAVEING
> | SETTINGS"
> | Then half way completed the system will reboot, look for peripherals, Edit
> | REG, start to save settings, & reboot again.
> |
> | So I cleaned the HDD again and tried installing XP HOME
> | And this program does the same thing at the very same place of the
> install!!
> |
> | Any suggestions?

October 15, 2004 8:17:15 PM

What driver? What controller are you using?

--

"emt706" wrote:
| Thank you for your time here Dave!!
|
| I do understand this, I have already tried the deletion and Both CD &
Floopy
| installs.
| I know have tried the "F6" and got to the place where I need to press "S"
| but at that time it wants me to insert the floopy with chipset drivers and
| all I have is a CD and the drive (on CD) for my INTEL 850 Chipset is 2+MB
in
| size and I can't get it on a standard floppy?
|
| Is there another way I can get these drivers installed?
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 9:27:03 PM

Again Dave thanks for putting up with me

I am not 100% sure what it is we are talking about other than as I
understand, I might need to remove data (driver) from the CD that came with
this new mother Bd. which has a "INTEL 845D" chipset that contains INTEL
82845 Memory controller hub and INTEL 82801BA I/O controller hub. This is
what I read in the manual.
But as I say, this is somewhat over my head and was hoping that when I
pressed "F6" and then when asked, press "S" to receive the data this unit
needed to allow the OS to complete its installation.

When I get to this point the OS asks to insert the required data in drive
A:\ and the only data I have (that came with this new MB) is on a CD.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> What driver? What controller are you using?
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "emt706" wrote:
> | Thank you for your time here Dave!!
> |
> | I do understand this, I have already tried the deletion and Both CD &
> Floopy
> | installs.
> | I know have tried the "F6" and got to the place where I need to press "S"
> | but at that time it wants me to insert the floopy with chipset drivers and
> | all I have is a CD and the drive (on CD) for my INTEL 850 Chipset is 2+MB
> in
> | size and I can't get it on a standard floppy?
> |
> | Is there another way I can get these drivers installed?

Anonymous
October 16, 2004 12:01:46 AM

Check your documentation (or mobo manufacturer's web site) to see what drive
controller you have.

--

"emt706" wrote:
| Again Dave thanks for putting up with me
|
| I am not 100% sure what it is we are talking about other than as I
| understand, I might need to remove data (driver) from the CD that came
with
| this new mother Bd. which has a "INTEL 845D" chipset that contains INTEL
| 82845 Memory controller hub and INTEL 82801BA I/O controller hub. This is
| what I read in the manual.
| But as I say, this is somewhat over my head and was hoping that when I
| pressed "F6" and then when asked, press "S" to receive the data this unit
| needed to allow the OS to complete its installation.
|
| When I get to this point the OS asks to insert the required data in drive
| A:\ and the only data I have (that came with this new MB) is on a CD.
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 12:01:47 AM

http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWeb/Downloads/ProductsDeta...(V3.0)&MenuID=45&LanID=0

Dave here is the Manufactors web page

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Check your documentation (or mobo manufacturer's web site) to see what drive
> controller you have.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "emt706" wrote:
> | Again Dave thanks for putting up with me
> |
> | I am not 100% sure what it is we are talking about other than as I
> | understand, I might need to remove data (driver) from the CD that came
> with
> | this new mother Bd. which has a "INTEL 845D" chipset that contains INTEL
> | 82845 Memory controller hub and INTEL 82801BA I/O controller hub. This is
> | what I read in the manual.
> | But as I say, this is somewhat over my head and was hoping that when I
> | pressed "F6" and then when asked, press "S" to receive the data this unit
> | needed to allow the OS to complete its installation.
> |
> | When I get to this point the OS asks to insert the required data in drive
> | A:\ and the only data I have (that came with this new MB) is on a CD.

Anonymous
October 16, 2004 12:38:53 AM

Since the controller is IDE you probably don't need to install a controller
driver during text mode setup. You might try removing all non-essential
hardware and try the install again.

--

!