Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

to upgrade or not to upgrade that is the question..

Last response: in Systems
March 5, 2007 4:52:58 PM

Hi Guys,

I've been wracking my brain for a while now and not made my mind up so thought i would crash the idea on here, i know this is probably going to be similar to a lot of the other posts in the forum but i feel it's personal to me and i know you guys love a debate so here it goes:

I have a PC < - - heh surprising that
Now i like this PC it was my pride and joy back when i was 16 and i had disposably income (why didn't i learn to save)

Anyway i'm starting to get more annoyed with it as time wares on, i'm currently out in industry form uni this year so i have a bit (not much) spare cash around. I still need to save for those end years at uni.

The specs of it are:
Gigabyte 7N400 Pro2 mobo
AMD XP3000+ (this is infact a 2800 overclocked using the multiplier to 3000)
1gb DDR 400 (corsair cheap stuff my old XMS stuff died)
Geforce 6800 128mb AGP
500gb storage, i have a raid 0 array on two old 40gb 8mb cache maxtors and some other various drives
500 watt PSU think its super flower

I play play source and it runs fine with no lag (1440x900) i have to set a few things to medium but thats all ok, Battlefield 2 though meh plays nice in some areas of the map others my system has a heart attack, and thats whats annoying me.

Any way now you can see my dilema, i've been looking at the core 2 duos liking the overclockingness of them (dont make this into a intel amd war thats not the point) but i need a total new system, (I'm in the UK) pricing a few things up i get to around the 600 quid mark for the mobo 2gb ram proc and hard drives in there. I like to buy fairly decent components, but 600 quid i just cant afford it, especially with just buying a new cycle with my last one being stolen.

The question: should i wait for a bit or for a while? should i upgrade now and future proof through uni (i have 2 more years to go after this one) and think sod it to the money, or change the system type, however i feel i would just end up upgrading again in a year or so if i didn't spend much.

Any ideas i would love to hear your comments,

March 5, 2007 5:17:07 PM

If it were me, I'd do it differently this time & actually finished my study. lol. See if I get a high-paying, I won't have to ask what pc parts to get.
March 5, 2007 5:41:53 PM

i suppose that is an option!
Related resources
March 5, 2007 5:42:15 PM

core 2 extreme...core 2 quad... maybe AMD quad fx.... some dreams may come true...but I presume that it will take a little bit to realize them...
if you really need to upgrade ? Depends on how much time you spend on gamming (which you really should spend on studying...) and if you pc does work well on your daily jobs... any upgrade will require a PCI Express MB + CPU + VGA would be minimal change... maybe a low budget PC with 939 amd cpu and Asrock AGP+ PCIexpress MB would improve your PC, and you can recycle the other parts from your PC... spending less ...and getting a good improve... maybe you can trade your agp card and your BF2 gamming will not push your heart anymore... so everything will depends on how much you would spend... a 939 (using your AGP or getting a new PCIexpress) or even AM2 system (in this case only with a new PCIexpress VGA) ...
Improve gamming .... sure upgrade will... do you really have time to enjoy this improvement ...?
March 5, 2007 5:43:02 PM

i suppose that is an option!
March 5, 2007 6:11:52 PM

If your only problem is BF2, then you might want to just stuff a little more RAM in your computer and call it good for the next couple years. If on the other hand there are any new games coming out that you want to play, a full rebuild is in your immediate future.
March 5, 2007 7:16:06 PM

sorry about the repeated post (i'm with tiscali) - nuff said!

Thanks for your comments i think i'll have to stick with the leave it for now option, it'll last me through uni, but i like to have the odd play on a game, maybe i'll have to just pull out the "classics" :D