win xp and directx10

kamran5461

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
does xp support directx10? if i get a directx10 card like an 8800gtx, would i get better performace wiht directx10 or 9.oc ?

AdamBomb42

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
To answer your first question: no it does not. Not supporting DX10 is a way for MS to force gamers to buy Vista. As for your second question: you theoretically should have better performance with dx10, but that is to be seen.

FatFunkey

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
...Xp DOES NOT SUPPORT DX10 ONLY VISTA FOR THE LAST TIME

Also there is no DX10 game out so noone knows how the 8800s will run Dx10 games, however it the fastest Card u can buy at this time...

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
DX10 on XP is a no go, just like FatFunkey said. DX10 is a better performer than DX9 but VISTA drags it out to the point that it's basically the same as DX9. Although DX10 will look better(supposedly).

sailer

Splendid
does xp support directx10? if i get a directx10 card like an 8800gtx, would i get better performace wiht directx10 or 9.oc ?

XP and DX10, they don't match up. That doesn't mean that somebody, someday, won't be able to figure out a way to hack it in. Same with getting DX10 to work with XP64 Pro. It doesn't work now and probably never will, but I won't bet against hackers and creative codes.

Using DX9, the 8800 series provides very fast frame rates, much better than any regular DX9 card. If I was going to buy a card at the moment, I'd look at a 8800 GTX and my machine would fly. But I'm waiting for the R600 to either come out or have AMD scrape the thing. Beyond that, Nvidia should have a 8900 series out before too long.

mad_murdock

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
Unless the money is burning a hole in your pocket, I would at least wait until ATI comes out with their new cards and see which is the top Performer. If nothing else, the 8800GTX might drop in price a little.

It sure would be nice if someone is able to right a wrapper for DX10 that allows it to install on XP. Of course, you would need a standlone version of DX10 and that might be tricky to get a hold of. But who knows. Of course at this time, only Microsoft really knows if it would work on XP or not. They say no, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work. it just means they said no

kamran5461

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
well i have vista. but i couldn't get my gfx card to run on it properly. everytime the os went to sleep mode, it wont wake up without giving a fuzzy/squiggly screen which was cured only by a boot. really annoying.
so i went back to xp for now. maybe until vista sp1 comes out.
ty all for your replies.

Eviltwin17

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
windows xp and directx10 are not compatible, microsoft wants to use dx10 to heighten the sales of vista so it had to pull the plug eventually

and performance wise... running a games in dx9 mode would perform vs dx10 mode if the game supports dx10. Its the same thing as running games in dx8 mode or dx7 mode vs dx9 mode.... since there arent as many effects and crap in the older version performance increases

russki

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
To answer your first question: no it does not. Not supporting DX10 is a way for MS to force gamers to buy Vista. As for your second question: you theoretically should have better performance with dx10, but that is to be seen.

[rant]
Can you please read the blog entry above so that you can once and for all stop spewing FUD like your statement. Seriously, why don't you make what you are saying is correct before you make categorical statements on these forums?! People come here for advice and read what others say with confidence to take it as true. I don't mind if you start the sentense with "I think..." or some such. But not only are you grossly mistaken, you present it like you are the ultimate authority...
[/endrant]

To kind of quote what the blog entry says for benefit of the lazy, DX10 requires certain kernel features of Vista and therefore can not be ported to XP without a major kernel update (as in almost making XP Vista). So it's not that MS is big and bad, it's that NOONE could do it.

russki

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
No, not until there is a full cycle of "designed-for-vista," for the lack of a better term, hardware. Right now there isn't a native gfx nor soundcard (as in hardware designed with vista support in mind versus one supported by sometimes buggy drivers because it works much better with XP driver model).

By the way, what moron again rated me as one star without disagreeing? I don't mind it if someone disagrees at all, but explain yourself.

[Edit: punctuation to make the first sentense readable]

Hey I hate M$, but might as well be realistic about why I hate them, there's alot of good valid reasons to dislike M$, just not this. :twisted:

Ok now on to hating M$, meeting every Tuesday, orange soda provided... :mrgreen:

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Hey I hate M$, but might as well be realistic about why I hate them, there's alot of good valid reasons to dislike M$, just not this. :twisted:

Ok now on to hating M$, meeting every Tuesday, orange soda provided... :mrgreen:

Wouldn't Kool-aid be more appropriate... :twisted:

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Hey I wish it just as much as you do but face it, it probably won't happen. I simply love XP MCE, but DX10 is one reason why I paid $12 for the free upgrade it came with to Vista Home Premium. Honestly, I hope somebody hacks it for the poor souls that don't feel like shoveling out $150 for a lame new OS.

dsharp9000

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
I think vista would be a great operating if not for all the drm stuff --- to bad much of the effort in development seems to have gone into protecting the content of mpaa rather than just building a kick ass performing os. Not necessarily for or against drm --- just think microsoft is making pc hardware and software development very complex which means it takes longer and costs more for the pc. Just wish they would of approached it different and offered two different versions. Hopefully, everything works out with vista --- i'm still on the fence waiting to see what happens --- be great if someone could somehow port directx10 to xp --- dont completely buy the argument that it is not technically feasible --- more believe that microsoft is unwilling --- but who can blame them --- they got to make money.

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
I think vista would be a great operating if not for all the drm stuff --- to bad much of the effort in development seems to have gone into protecting the content of mpaa rather than just building a kick ass performing os. Not necessarily for or against drm --- just think microsoft is making pc hardware and software development very complex which means it takes longer and costs more for the pc. Just wish they would of approached it different and offered two different versions. Hopefully, everything works out with vista --- i'm still on the fence waiting to see what happens --- be great if someone could somehow port directx10 to xp --- dont completely buy the argument that it is not technically feasible --- more believe that microsoft is unwilling --- but who can blame them --- they got to make money.

Yes we can blame them. If they are so set on making money, why not sell the DX10 software upgrade for XP users and release Vista for those that want it also. Either way, MS makes more money, XP will still inevitably become outdated, and Vista will be sold on every friggin storebought computer out there. Honestly, I think they're trying to force too many people buy Vista too fast.