Win 2k from Win2003

When I try to install Win2k on top of a currently running
Win2003 system , after the message
"Setup is starting Windows 2000" I get the message
"Setup did not find any hard drives installed on your
computer... Make sure your hard drives are powered on...."

The Windows2003 had no problem finding the hard drives...

Any suggestions ?

John Yard
UCLA
2 answers Last reply
More about win2003

    You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
    ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the Windows 2000
    setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
    inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection,
    and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to
    insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
    controller in drive "A"

    If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
    late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
    resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "John Yard" wrote:
    | When I try to install Win2k on top of a currently running
    | Win2003 system , after the message
    | "Setup is starting Windows 2000" I get the message
    | "Setup did not find any hard drives installed on your
    | computer... Make sure your hard drives are powered on...."
    |
    | The Windows2003 had no problem finding the hard drives...
    |
    | Any suggestions ?
    |
    | John Yard
    | UCLA

    Dont forget to check the hardware compatibility list for any complications
    with hardware between systems; it may work on 2000 but not 2003 and vice
    verse. http://www.microsoft.com/hcl and select the HCL for the OS you are
    installing. Chances are the above post will get you going, but if not I
    would search here.

    Elijah Landreth [MSFT]
    Microsoft Server Setup Team

    Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/directory
    Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp
    See the Windows NT Homepage at http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

    NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
    others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
    more timely response. Thank you!

    This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
    implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
    merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
    The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
    not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of
    Microsoft.
    or opinions of Microsoft.

Windows Server 2003 Windows 2000 Hard Drives Microsoft Windows