Win 2k from Win2003

When I try to install Win2k on top of a currently running
Win2003 system , after the message
"Setup is starting Windows 2000" I get the message
"Setup did not find any hard drives installed on your
computer... Make sure your hard drives are powered on...."

The Windows2003 had no problem finding the hard drives...

Any suggestions ?

John Yard
UCLA

You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the Windows 2000
setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection,
and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to
insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
controller in drive "A"

If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"John Yard" wrote:
| When I try to install Win2k on top of a currently running
| Win2003 system , after the message
| "Setup is starting Windows 2000" I get the message
| "Setup did not find any hard drives installed on your
| computer... Make sure your hard drives are powered on...."
|
| The Windows2003 had no problem finding the hard drives...
|
| Any suggestions ?
|
| John Yard
| UCLA

Dont forget to check the hardware compatibility list for any complications
with hardware between systems; it may work on 2000 but not 2003 and vice
verse. http://www.microsoft.com/hcl and select the HCL for the OS you are
installing. Chances are the above post will get you going, but if not I
would search here.

Elijah Landreth [MSFT]
Microsoft Server Setup Team

Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/directory
Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp
See the Windows NT Homepage at http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
more timely response. Thank you!

This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of
Microsoft.
or opinions of Microsoft.