Missing msconfig.exe

While trying to troubleshoot an unsucessfull communication software
instalation (ActiveSync) I found out my computer is missing the msconfig.exe
utility. How can I install it ? will reinstatlation of win 2000 help ?

Ofer wrote:
> While trying to troubleshoot an unsucessfull communication software
> instalation (ActiveSync) I found out my computer is missing the
> msconfig.exe utility. How can I install it ? will reinstatlation of
> win 2000 help ?

It's not "missing."

MSConfig is/was a Win98/Me utility, brought back in WinXP, which
is also targeted at the home consumer market. There is no equivalent
utility included with Win95/WinNT/Win2K.

In most cases, one need only open the offending program and
deselect the option to "display icon in the system tray" or to "start
when Windows starts."

To view the list of your start up programs, look in the
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up
folders, and in the system registry, primarily in the
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys. These can
also be viewed, if I remember correctly, by right-clicking My
Computer, selecting "Manage" and expanding System Tools-- System
Information -- Software Environment -- Startup Programs. To prevent
any of them from starting at login, you'll have to delete shortcuts
from the startup folder(s) and/or edit the registry. I should point
out that, in order to make such system modifications requires one to
have administrative privileges to the machine in question. I should
also point out that one should not even consider editing the registry
unless he is fully confident that he knows exactly what is going to
happen as a result of each and every change.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm