Safe to delete files in "Installer" folder?

in my "C:\WINNT\Installer" folder theres about 460megs of various .msi,
..msp, .mst etc... files along with with folders named like
"{1FD0C5C1-B01B-4B4C-9607-E5D3B3D1318F}"

Is it safe to delete any/all of these?

thanks

harry
3 answers Last reply
More about safe delete files installer folder

    It's safe until you want to uninstall/reinstall/upgrade the applications.

    When you install using Windows Installer, a copy of changed system info
    is placed in that \Installer folder so that if later you want to
    uninstall you can restore the original system info using the Add/Remove
    function. If you delete that info a future uninstall will not be as
    simple (or probably as complete.) It's a judgment call, if space is a
    serious problem.

    Without those files, you can still remove an installed app's major files
    manually, and generally leave some traces of it in places like the
    registry, without damaging the system. Registries are accustomed to
    accumulating debris and are usually not too vindictive about it. :-)

    With major installs like service packs, the restore files can be very
    large. They can also be very important, in a case where a service pack
    must be removed for technical reasons. There is no manual way to remove
    an installed service pack - system re-installation or the equivalent is
    the only practical option. However, I believe service pack restore files
    are saved in a different folder (\ServicePackFiles), not \Installer. I'm
    not entirely sure about this.

    harry wrote:
    > in my "C:\WINNT\Installer" folder theres about 460megs of various .msi,
    > .msp, .mst etc... files along with with folders named like
    > "{1FD0C5C1-B01B-4B4C-9607-E5D3B3D1318F}"
    >
    > Is it safe to delete any/all of these?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > harry

    sorry but does that mean I can or can't?

    If I delete everything in the Installer dir will I still be able to install
    from the original setup.exe & uninstall from "add/remove programs"?

    "Jetro" <ik9480@spam.rogers.com> wrote in message
    > It's safe until you want to uninstall/reinstall/upgrade the applications.

Installer Microsoft Windows