Hard Drive Activity

March 17, 2005 5:07:57 PM

I'm running XP Pro SP2. My power settings turn off my monitor after 15
minutes. When that occurs, I can hear hard drive activity that may continue
for up to 6-8 minutes. This activity stops shortly after hitting a key to
re-energize the monitor. I regularly update and run NAV, Ad-a-Ware, and
Spybot S&D, with no indications of spyware or virus problems. I have a
broadband connection, but the hard drive does the same thing regardless of
whether the cable modem is active or on standby. I would appreciate any
thoughts on whether this is normal, or what may be causing this activity.
Thanks very much for your help.

More about : hard drive activity

Anonymous
March 17, 2005 5:07:58 PM

Windows XP will periodically index your files for optimum
performance. It will also partially defrag your drive if it is
excessively fragmented. This occurs when your PC is idle
and is normal.

Windows XP's Built-In Optimization
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1149277,00.a...

If you wish to disable the Indexing Service, perform the following:
Go to Start > Run and type: SERVICES.MSC , and hit enter.
Scroll down to the "Indexing Service", right-click on it and select
Properties and set the Startup Type to Disabled, then click Apply.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Ron" wrote:

| I'm running XP Pro SP2. My power settings turn off my monitor after 15
| minutes. When that occurs, I can hear hard drive activity that may continue
| for up to 6-8 minutes. This activity stops shortly after hitting a key to
| re-energize the monitor. I regularly update and run NAV, Ad-a-Ware, and
| Spybot S&D, with no indications of spyware or virus problems. I have a
| broadband connection, but the hard drive does the same thing regardless of
| whether the cable modem is active or on standby. I would appreciate any
| thoughts on whether this is normal, or what may be causing this activity.
| Thanks very much for your help.
March 17, 2005 5:38:52 PM

Thanks for your response - it had me worried. Interesting article.

!