Hard Drive Activity

I'm running XP Pro SP2. My power settings turn off my monitor after 15
minutes. When that occurs, I can hear hard drive activity that may continue
for up to 6-8 minutes. This activity stops shortly after hitting a key to
re-energize the monitor. I regularly update and run NAV, Ad-a-Ware, and
Spybot S&D, with no indications of spyware or virus problems. I have a
broadband connection, but the hard drive does the same thing regardless of
whether the cable modem is active or on standby. I would appreciate any
thoughts on whether this is normal, or what may be causing this activity.
Thanks very much for your help.
2 answers Last reply
More about hard drive activity

    Windows XP will periodically index your files for optimum
    performance. It will also partially defrag your drive if it is
    excessively fragmented. This occurs when your PC is idle
    and is normal.

    Windows XP's Built-In Optimization

    If you wish to disable the Indexing Service, perform the following:
    Go to Start > Run and type: SERVICES.MSC , and hit enter.
    Scroll down to the "Indexing Service", right-click on it and select
    Properties and set the Startup Type to Disabled, then click Apply.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Ron" wrote:

    | I'm running XP Pro SP2. My power settings turn off my monitor after 15
    | minutes. When that occurs, I can hear hard drive activity that may continue
    | for up to 6-8 minutes. This activity stops shortly after hitting a key to
    | re-energize the monitor. I regularly update and run NAV, Ad-a-Ware, and
    | Spybot S&D, with no indications of spyware or virus problems. I have a
    | broadband connection, but the hard drive does the same thing regardless of
    | whether the cable modem is active or on standby. I would appreciate any
    | thoughts on whether this is normal, or what may be causing this activity.
    | Thanks very much for your help.

    Thanks for your response - it had me worried. Interesting article.

    > Windows XP will periodically index your files for optimum
    > performance. It will also partially defrag your drive if it is
    > excessively fragmented. This occurs when your PC is idle
    > and is normal.
    >
    > Windows XP's Built-In Optimization
    > http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1149277,00.asp
    >
    > If you wish to disable the Indexing Service, perform the following:
    > Go to Start > Run and type: SERVICES.MSC , and hit enter.
    > Scroll down to the "Indexing Service", right-click on it and select
    > Properties and set the Startup Type to Disabled, then click Apply.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Ron" wrote:
    >
    > | I'm running XP Pro SP2. My power settings turn off my monitor after 15
    > | minutes. When that occurs, I can hear hard drive activity that may
    > continue
    > | for up to 6-8 minutes. This activity stops shortly after hitting a key
    > | re-energize the monitor. I regularly update and run NAV, Ad-a-Ware, and
    > | Spybot S&D, with no indications of spyware or virus problems. I have a
    > | broadband connection, but the hard drive does the same thing regardless
    > of
    > | whether the cable modem is active or on standby. I would appreciate any
    > | thoughts on whether this is normal, or what may be causing this
    > activity.
    > | Thanks very much for your help.

Hard Drives Windows XP