Lost "Print to file" spooler port option

How can I retrieve/replace/recover the Windows 2000 (server) "Print to file"
port in the Windows Print spooler system? It was deleted by accident.
--
Y.

Hi Would you want to try the following and see if you can get the same back
please let me know if this works for you

How to Print to a Text File
Device Manager does not have a Save command available for you to save a
report to a text file. To save a Device Manager report to a text file, you
must install a generic, text-only printer, and then redirect the Device
Manager report to this printer.

To print to a text file: 1. Click Start, and then click Printers and Faxes.
2. Click Add a Printer, and then choose the following options in the
wizard:a. Click Local Printer.
b. Click to clear the Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play
printer check box.
c. Click Use the Following Port, and then click FILE (Print to file).
d. Click Generic in the Manufacturer box.
e. Click Generic / Text Only in the Printers box.
f. Name the printer.
g. Click Do not share this printer.
h. Click No when you are prompted to print a test page.

3. When you click the printer in the Print dialog box, Windows prompts you
for a file name.

--------------------
| From: "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com>
| Subject: Lost "Print to file" spooler port option
| Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:09:24 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup
|
| How can I retrieve/replace/recover the Windows 2000 (server) "Print to
file"
| port in the Windows Print spooler system? It was deleted by accident.
| --
| Y.

===

Sandeep KT

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.

===

Thank you for your suggestion. I needed to put back the local port "FILE",
since the port had been remove.

By doing the Add Local Port, I was able to replace the port.

Y.