Sign in with
Your question

Best HSF for money, ease of install

Last response: in Overclocking
March 5, 2007 6:31:08 PM

I currently have an e6300 on the Intel DG965wh board. at load i only hit 39c, about 31 at idle, and the stock cpu fan is at like 820rps. I will be replacing this board within a month or two for overclocking capabilities, and I'd like to know which HSF you guys think is the best value and ease of install. Also, is there a way I can bump up the stock fan to like 1200 rpms or something?

More about : hsf money ease install

March 5, 2007 10:37:00 PM

"load i only hit 39c, about 31 at idle"

Gawd.. I'd leave it alone, nothing wrong with those temp readings. Depending on how far your going to OC would be the other question. The stock HSF should be able to keep things cool enough to a point. But like I said how far your pushing it is another.

There should be options in the bios to make the speed of the fan to be constant.

Look for things like speed step or EIST in the bios.

Also you might be able to adjust the fan speed with SpeedFan though not sure. Depends on the chipset support.
March 5, 2007 11:05:46 PM

like grimmie said those are good temps for stock hsf.
especially for the c2d.

if you want to get a new one and are in the u.s. check new egg.
Related resources
March 6, 2007 12:01:21 AM

Quote:
I currently have an e6300 on the Intel DG965wh board. at load i only hit 39c, about 31 at idle, and the stock cpu fan is at like 820rps. I will be replacing this board within a month or two for overclocking capabilities, and I'd like to know which HSF you guys think is the best value and ease of install. Also, is there a way I can bump up the stock fan to like 1200 rpms or something?

Well not much will beat "free and good performance". Keep the stock cooler!
March 6, 2007 12:49:54 AM

Especially for a C2D? What't that supposed to mean!? /noob
March 6, 2007 12:51:36 AM

Well I mean for when I overclock. Its not worth taking out my mobo to install a better HSF at stock settings. I disabled EIST in the bios yesterday so it doesnt fluctuate (the multiplier). I am really OCD about this stuff sometimes I want my stuff to be perfect and I will accept nothing less that freezing.. lol (somewhat jokingly) I was looking at the Zalman, others like the Ninja, and i prefered the arctic freezer on the amd 64s.
March 6, 2007 12:54:17 AM

Quote:
Especially for a C2D? What't that supposed to mean!? /noob

i cant count how many threads that start with.
(my c2d is running hot)=50c to 60c at idle stuff.

Double check the hsf install.
the op,s seems to be correct.

i hear getting the hsf seated properly on c2d,s (the stock one is a bitch.)
March 6, 2007 12:56:38 AM

Quote:
Well I mean for when I overclock. Its not worth taking out my mobo to install a better HSF at stock settings. I disabled EIST in the bios yesterday so it doesnt fluctuate (the multiplier). I am really OCD about this stuff sometimes I want my stuff to be perfect and I will accept nothing less that freezing.. lol (somewhat jokingly) I was looking at the Zalman, others like the Ninja, and i prefered the arctic freezer on the amd 64s.

check out some reviews.
try

tomshardware.
hard(ocp).
firingsquad.
techreport.
anand.
madshrimps.

sites like that.
March 6, 2007 12:59:00 AM

Ok to clear up any misunderstanding, my stock cooler is fine on my Intel motherboard because... there is no overclocking on this board. I will be getting a new board shortly and I was wondering which HSFs you guys prefer for keeping an OC'ed Core 2 cool. I know how to build stuff- i built this one and booted it up no prob on first time, and I know that good temps are. I just havent OC'ed a core 2 yet and wonder which coolers you guys prefer from Newegg.
March 6, 2007 1:15:49 AM

Quote:
Ok to clear up any misunderstanding, my stock cooler is fine on my Intel motherboard because... there is no overclocking on this board. I will be getting a new board shortly and I was wondering which HSFs you guys prefer for keeping an OC'ed Core 2 cool. I know how to build stuff- i built this one and booted it up no prob on first time, and I know that good temps are. I just havent OC'ed a core 2 yet and wonder which coolers you guys prefer from Newegg.

ok then.

but which cooler is up to you.
read some of the reviews and decide for yourself.

also give your thread sometime and im sure other members will
give you more input.
good and bad.
March 6, 2007 2:00:51 AM

Maybe I took too much less time to answer the question.

I'd say the only advise as far as HSF, in OC'ing... Try using the stock for awhile, and get some temp readings. Not everyone will have the same results since different systems and environments are not the same. So when you do decide on a 3rd party HSF, you can compare your stock to the new.

Shop around from some good prices on what you may find to be appealing.

The HSF I thought was good (price wise / performance), was the Artic Freezer Pro, which its price went up to 69.99 but was at 29.99. Now it is out of stock, but who cares at that price.. :lol: 

The next closest thing to it, that I found was:

Thermaltake CL-P0370 92mm Enter CPU Cooler

For 27.99.

Other then that, most people would prolly recomment the usual:

Tunic
Zalman 9500 or 9700
Thermaltake CL-P0114 120mm
Scythe SCINF-1000 120mm

Even the Thermalright Ultra 120 is great. I'd say most of the 775 HSF will have their own pros/cons of installation.
March 6, 2007 7:08:23 PM

Either the Tuniq Tower 120 or Thermalright Ultra 120, both are awesome coolers.
March 6, 2007 7:50:03 PM

Quote:
Well I mean for when I overclock.

Well right now you're getting 39C on load at stock settings. You have 15-20degrees of room to play with.

Try overclocking with the stock cooler, you might end up not needing an aftermarket cooler.

Buy an aftermarket cooler if your temps are too high or if it's too noisy, none of which seem to be the case right now.

If you go with an aftermarket cooler, my personal suggestion is the Tuniq Tower, but that may not be the best solution for you. If you carry your rig to LAN parties you might prefer the AC7 pro. If you want to overclock at 4.0GHz and above you might want watercooling. Like was said above... the choice will be up to you.
!