Drive Swap

I have win2k set up on a system with 2 HD's ... a 13G primary boot
drive (single ntfs partition with the OS on it) and a 40G secondary
with two ntfs partitions.

I would like to replace the primary 13G drive with a 40G model. what's
the easiest way to transfer the OS and files from the 13G?

I have Partition Magic 8 and was considering temporarily connecting
the new drive in place of the secondary then cloning the partition
from the boot drive. Is that enough or do I need a further step to fix
up the mbr?

Alternatively I have Norton Ghost available and could backup to the
existing secondary then swap boot drives and restore. Again, is that
all that's necessary or is there another required step?

More about drive swap

    Hi,

    I have those same two programs. I'd suggest you use Ghost to clone your
    13 drive to your 40, no need to switch their places. When you're
    finished with that, disconnect the drives and change their jumpers to
    where the drives will be switched to. Now you can just boot normally.

    Don't fool with the drive letters! If you assign one you're meddling in
    where ghost doesn't need your help.

    I've never had to fool with Partition Magic to assign drive letters to
    clone, just let Ghost have it's way with things. Ghost will even create
    the correct partitions if you leave it alone.

    I use Ghost to keep a current clone of my hard drive as a backup. I've
    tested it by plugging my backup into the master position and booting
    normally.
    --

    ---==X={}=X==---

    Jim Self
    AVIATION ANIMATION, the internet's largest depository.
    http://avanimation.avsupport.com

    Your only internet source for spiral staircase plans.
    http://jself.com/stair/Stair.htm

    Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA)
    Technical Counselor

    PQMagic 8 should do the trick. After cloning, make sure that
    you never boot the machine with both disks installed. If you
    do then you might wreck both installations, as your drive letters
    could get very confused.

    "WoofWoof" <oftenbark@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have win2k set up on a system with 2 HD's ... a 13G primary boot
    > drive (single ntfs partition with the OS on it) and a 40G secondary
    > with two ntfs partitions.
    >
    > I would like to replace the primary 13G drive with a 40G model. what's
    > the easiest way to transfer the OS and files from the 13G?
    >
    > I have Partition Magic 8 and was considering temporarily connecting
    > the new drive in place of the secondary then cloning the partition
    > from the boot drive. Is that enough or do I need a further step to fix
    > up the mbr?
    >
    > Alternatively I have Norton Ghost available and could backup to the
    > existing secondary then swap boot drives and restore. Again, is that
    > all that's necessary or is there another required step?

    News==----
    Newsgroups

    Hi,

    ........After cloning, make sure that you never boot the machine with
    both disks installed.

    Ghost actually reboots after the clone operation and things are just
    fine with both drives in there. You also need to boot with both drives
    installed in order to do a clone of the drive in the first place. Even
    after you have two identical drives running things boot fine, probably
    because one of them is a slave and it's not trying to boot.

    ---==X={}=X==---

    Jim Self
    AVIATION ANIMATION, the internet's largest depository.
    http://avanimation.avsupport.com

    Your only internet source for spiral staircase plans.
    http://jself.com/stair/Stair.htm

    Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA)
    Technical Counselor

    This talk of the second drive is confusing me a bit .... I assume you
    mean don't have both the old and new boot drives installed at the same
    time? There are currently two drives in the system and I want to end
    up that way so I'd still have a "second drive"

    To clarify a little more, here's what I visualise doing (logistics
    such as drive jumper settings powering down between hardware changes
    etc are assumed):

    1. If I use Partition Magic

    - remove the current drive-2 (non-boot) and replace it with the new
    drive.
    - use PM to make a clone of the boot partition from drive-1 to the new
    drive.
    - replace drive-1 with the new drive and re-connect orginal drive-2

    2. If I use Ghost

    - with the original drive 1 and 2 configuration, make a backup of the
    drive-1 boot partition on drive-2 (I believe I can make room for
    that).
    - replace drive-1 with the new drive
    - use ghost to restore the partition image from drive-2

    It occurs to me that there might be a third possibility (which
    wouldn't need as much space) ... would this work? :

    3. Using Ghost

    - with the original drive 1&2 configuration make a *file* backup from
    the drive-1 boot partition to drive-2
    - replace drive-1 with the new drive and create a new ntfs partition
    (PM?)
    - use ghost to restore the files from drive 2
    - anything else? MBR?

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

    > PQMagic 8 should do the trick. After cloning, make sure that
    > you never boot the machine with both disks installed. If you
    > do then you might wreck both installations, as your drive letters
    > could get very confused.

    Hi,

    see my response to Pegasus. There are actually to 40G drives involved.
    The existing system has:

    - Drive-1 (boot) ... 13G
    - Drive-2 (data) ... 40G

    I want to replace Drive-1 with a second 40G

    PA20Pilot wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have those same two programs. I'd suggest you use Ghost to clone your
    > 13 drive to your 40, no need to switch their places. When you're
    > finished with that, disconnect the drives and change their jumpers to
    > where the drives will be switched to. Now you can just boot normally.
    >
    > Don't fool with the drive letters! If you assign one you're meddling in
    > where ghost doesn't need your help.
    >
    > I've never had to fool with Partition Magic to assign drive letters to
    > clone, just let Ghost have it's way with things. Ghost will even create
    > the correct partitions if you leave it alone.
    >
    > I use Ghost to keep a current clone of my hard drive as a backup. I've
    > tested it by plugging my backup into the master position and booting
    > normally.
    > --
    >
    > ---==X={}=X==---
    >
    > Jim Self
    > AVIATION ANIMATION, the internet's largest depository.
    > http://avanimation.avsupport.com
    >
    > Your only internet source for spiral staircase plans.
    > http://jself.com/stair/Stair.htm
    >
    > Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA)
    > Technical Counselor

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Hi again,

    .........I would like to replace the primary 13G drive with a 40G model.
    what's the easiest way to transfer the OS and files from the 13G?

    Take out your old 40 G drive and set it aside. Put in your new 40G drive
    as a slave. Use Ghost to clone the 13 drive to the 40. Don't make an
    image file of anything, use the clone option! You want an EXACT bootable
    copy of your hard drive, not an image or file or anything like that.

    Now take to 40 clone you just made and install it in place of the 13 and
    add your old 40 as a slave.

    Pegasus wrote: ..........I think that this statement is abundantly
    clear: "After cloning, make sure that you never boot the machine with
    both disks installed."

    Sorry, but that's just not true. Maybe your thinking of a different
    software or something. I boot with both the drives installed every time
    I want to remake the clone, usually every friday night. I don't "hot
    swap" with W2000 as it's not supported in this OS.

    I have two 80 g drives, the master is three partitions. These three
    partitions are C, D and E. My CD player is F. When Norton Ghost makes a
    clone onto my slave drive, it gives the drive, temporarily, the letters
    G,H and I.

    When I take this clone and change its jumpers to be the master for an
    integrity check, my system gives the three partitions that were before
    lettered G, H and I, are now shown as C, D and E and the computer boots
    just fine. Actually it's as though I didn't even swap the drives even
    though the original is now un-docked in a removable tray. The tray
    doesn't add any function, just makes swapping slaves a lot easier.

    There's no problem booting with two identical drives installed, Windows
    doesn't give them the same C drive designation, so there's no conflict
    or trying to boot from different places either.

    As I wrote before, Ghost reboots after doing its job with both drives
    installed even though they each contain the exact same information, and
    each can be booted from depending on your cable position. Whichever
    drive is cabled as master gets the C designation.

    ---==X={}=X==---

    Jim Self
    AVIATION ANIMATION, the internet's largest depository.
    http://avanimation.avsupport.com

    Your only internet source for spiral staircase plans.
    http://jself.com/stair/Stair.htm

    Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA)
    Technical Counselor
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Hi,

    I may have misread what Pegasus was writing about. His suggestion about
    not booting with two drives may be corrrect if your're using Partition
    Magic for anything here.

    Using Ghost to do the job doesn't involve PM for anything, and that may
    be where things go stupid. If you use PM to assign drive letters rather
    than letting Ghost do it, Windoze may fall on its ass when it tries to
    boot as some program has assigned a letter that isn't easily worked around.

    I think Ghost is just assigning letters temporily, like just for each
    boot, nothing written to the disk assigning it a position.

    ---==X={}=X==---

    Jim Self
    AVIATION ANIMATION, the internet's largest depository.
    http://avanimation.avsupport.com

    Your only internet source for spiral staircase plans.
    http://jself.com/stair/Stair.htm

    Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA)
    Technical Counselor
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    PA20Pilot wrote:

    > Hi again,
    >
    > ........I would like to replace the primary 13G drive with a 40G model.
    > what's the easiest way to transfer the OS and files from the 13G?
    >
    > Take out your old 40 G drive and set it aside. Put in your new 40G drive
    > as a slave. Use Ghost to clone the 13 drive to the 40. Don't make an
    > image file of anything, use the clone option! You want an EXACT bootable
    > copy of your hard drive, not an image or file or anything like that.
    >
    > Now take to 40 clone you just made and install it in place of the 13 and
    > add your old 40 as a slave.

    Thanks, Jim, that sounds like the way to go. I appreciate your help!

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Hi again,

    You're welcome!

    Partition Magic is a fine tool for fooling around with creating, merging
    deleting, formatting partitions etc. but I haven't found it as useful of
    a backup utility as Ghost.

    I should have mentioned earlier that Ghost will do the partitioning etc.
    all by itself.

    Don't forget to have some fun too!

    ---==X={}=X==---

    Jim Self
    AVIATION ANIMATION, the internet's largest depository.
    http://avanimation.avsupport.com

    Your only internet source for spiral staircase plans.
    http://jself.com/stair/Stair.htm

    Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA)
    Technical Counselor
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    > This talk of the second drive is confusing me a bit .... I assume you
    > mean don't have both the old and new boot drives installed at the same
    > time? There are currently two drives in the system and I want to end
    > up that way so I'd still have a "second drive"
    >
    > To clarify a little more, here's what I visualise doing (logistics
    > such as drive jumper settings powering down between hardware changes
    > etc are assumed):
    >
    > 1. If I use Partition Magic
    >
    > - remove the current drive-2 (non-boot) and replace it with the new
    > drive.
    > - use PM to make a clone of the boot partition from drive-1 to the new
    > drive.
    > - replace drive-1 with the new drive and re-connect orginal drive-2
    >

    > 2. If I use Ghost
    >
    > - with the original drive 1 and 2 configuration, make a backup of the
    > drive-1 boot partition on drive-2 (I believe I can make room for
    > that).
    > - replace drive-1 with the new drive
    > - use ghost to restore the partition image from drive-2
    >

    > It occurs to me that there might be a third possibility (which
    > wouldn't need as much space) ... would this work? :
    >
    > 3. Using Ghost
    >
    > - with the original drive 1&2 configuration make a *file* backup from
    > the drive-1 boot partition to drive-2
    > - replace drive-1 with the new drive and create a new ntfs partition
    > (PM?)
    > - use ghost to restore the files from drive 2
    > - anything else? MBR?
    >

    > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > > PQMagic 8 should do the trick. After cloning, make sure that
    > > you never boot the machine with both disks installed. If you
    > > do then you might wreck both installations, as your drive letters
    > > could get very confused.

    News==----
    Newsgroups
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Well ... as I have pointed out, there are a total of three drives
    involved and there will always be two of those connected at the same
    time so the statement '"both" disks installed ' is ambiguous to me.

    In any event you have chosen to repeat your earlier statement (which
    I already said I didn't understand) rather than respond in the terms
    that I explained my difficulty which appears (to me) a little
    chauvenistic. I hadn't come across that from MVP's here before. Thanks
    anyway for trying to help.

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

    > I think that this statement is abundantly clear: "After cloning, make
    > sure that you never boot the machine with both disks installed."
    >
    > "WoofWoof" <oftenbark@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > This talk of the second drive is confusing me a bit .... I assume you
    > > mean don't have both the old and new boot drives installed at the same
    > > time? There are currently two drives in the system and I want to end
    > > up that way so I'd still have a "second drive"
    > >
    > > To clarify a little more, here's what I visualise doing (logistics
    > > such as drive jumper settings powering down between hardware changes
    > > etc are assumed):
    > >
    > > 1. If I use Partition Magic
    > >
    > > - remove the current drive-2 (non-boot) and replace it with the new
    > > drive.
    > > - use PM to make a clone of the boot partition from drive-1 to the new
    > > drive.
    > > - replace drive-1 with the new drive and re-connect orginal drive-2
    > >

    > > 2. If I use Ghost
    > >
    > > - with the original drive 1 and 2 configuration, make a backup of the
    > > drive-1 boot partition on drive-2 (I believe I can make room for
    > > that).
    > > - replace drive-1 with the new drive
    > > - use ghost to restore the partition image from drive-2
    > >

    > > It occurs to me that there might be a third possibility (which
    > > wouldn't need as much space) ... would this work? :
    > >
    > > 3. Using Ghost
    > >
    > > - with the original drive 1&2 configuration make a *file* backup from
    > > the drive-1 boot partition to drive-2
    > > - replace drive-1 with the new drive and create a new ntfs partition
    > > (PM?)
    > > - use ghost to restore the files from drive 2
    > > - anything else? MBR?
    > >

    > > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
    > > >
    > > > PQMagic 8 should do the trick. After cloning, make sure that
    > > > you never boot the machine with both disks installed. If you
    > > > do then you might wreck both installations, as your drive letters
    > > > could get very confused.

    > News==----
    > > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000
    > Newsgroups
    > > ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    The point I was trying to make is that you should not allow the
    cloned disk to be connected at the same time as the original
    disk, because you might end up with confused drive letters.
    Win2000 has a tendency to sniff out all Win2000 installations
    present in a system; if they are clones of each other then Windows
    might change some references in its registry from drive C: to drive
    E: (for example). This could damage both installation permanently.

    If you have any data disks in your system then they are irrelevant
    within this particular issue.

    As to being "chauvenistic": I confess that I do no know what you
    mean. My dictionary defines "chauvinistic" as "aggressive or fanatical
    patriotism; enthusiastic devotion to a cause; smug irrational belief in
    the superiority of one's own race". This thread does not and will not
    deal in patriotism, pet causes or race issues. If you felt that my reply
    was "condescending" then I apologise - the reply was meant to
    encourage you to re-read what I had written previously.

    > Well ... as I have pointed out, there are a total of three drives
    > involved and there will always be two of those connected at the same
    > time so the statement '"both" disks installed ' is ambiguous to me.
    >
    > In any event you have chosen to repeat your earlier statement (which
    > I already said I didn't understand) rather than respond in the terms
    > that I explained my difficulty which appears (to me) a little
    > chauvenistic. I hadn't come across that from MVP's here before. Thanks
    > anyway for trying to help.
    >
    > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > > I think that this statement is abundantly clear: "After cloning, make
    > > sure that you never boot the machine with both disks installed."
    > >
    > > "WoofWoof" <oftenbark@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > This talk of the second drive is confusing me a bit .... I assume you
    > > > mean don't have both the old and new boot drives installed at the same
    > > > time? There are currently two drives in the system and I want to end
    > > > up that way so I'd still have a "second drive"
    > > >
    > > > To clarify a little more, here's what I visualise doing (logistics
    > > > such as drive jumper settings powering down between hardware changes
    > > > etc are assumed):
    > > >
    > > > 1. If I use Partition Magic
    > > >
    > > > - remove the current drive-2 (non-boot) and replace it with the new
    > > > drive.
    > > > - use PM to make a clone of the boot partition from drive-1 to the new
    > > > drive.
    > > > - replace drive-1 with the new drive and re-connect orginal drive-2
    > > >

    > > > 2. If I use Ghost
    > > >
    > > > - with the original drive 1 and 2 configuration, make a backup of the
    > > > drive-1 boot partition on drive-2 (I believe I can make room for
    > > > that).
    > > > - replace drive-1 with the new drive
    > > > - use ghost to restore the partition image from drive-2
    > > >

    > > > It occurs to me that there might be a third possibility (which
    > > > wouldn't need as much space) ... would this work? :
    > > >
    > > > 3. Using Ghost
    > > >
    > > > - with the original drive 1&2 configuration make a *file* backup from
    > > > the drive-1 boot partition to drive-2
    > > > - replace drive-1 with the new drive and create a new ntfs partition
    > > > (PM?)
    > > > - use ghost to restore the files from drive 2
    > > > - anything else? MBR?

    > > News==----
    > > > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    >100,000
    > > Newsgroups
    > > > ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

    News==----
    Newsgroups
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    In article <#GNT10WuEHA.2508@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, PA20Pilot@faa.gov
    says...
    > I should have mentioned earlier that Ghost will do the partitioning etc.
    > all by itself.

    Ghost is the best tool I've ever used for Workstations and Servers. The
    one thing that PM has over Ghost is the ability to resize a partition
    without using a second drive. Ghost requires a second drive (or a ghost
    image file) to increase partition sizes by cloning and resizing at the
    same time.

    Ghost has even worked for me when cloning R5 arrays, Mirrors, etc...

    spamfree999@rrohio.com
    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    PA20Pilot wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I may have misread what Pegasus was writing about. His suggestion about
    > not booting with two drives may be corrrect if your're using Partition
    > Magic for anything here.
    >
    > Using Ghost to do the job doesn't involve PM for anything, and that may
    > be where things go stupid. If you use PM to assign drive letters rather
    > than letting Ghost do it, Windoze may fall on its ass when it tries to
    > boot as some program has assigned a letter that isn't easily worked around.
    >
    > I think Ghost is just assigning letters temporily, like just for each
    > boot, nothing written to the disk assigning it a position.
    >

    > ---==X={}=X==---
    >

    > Jim Self
    > AVIATION ANIMATION, the internet's largest depository.
    > http://avanimation.avsupport.com
    >
    > Your only internet source for spiral staircase plans.
    > http://jself.com/stair/Stair.htm
    >
    > Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA)
    > Technical Counselor

    If the cloned drive is left in place during a reboot;
    it should not have an active partition, nor a pagefile..

    I use an MS-DOS "gdisk /-act" & "attrib -h" & "delete pagefile.sys"..

    The necessity depends on what program is used to clone..

    Willard

Windows