Recommendations for chipset fan for DS3?

rdhood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Hello all,

I am looking for recommendations for a quite chipset fan for my DS3 (430Mhz). I gets very warm, and I want to add something that cools it a bit but adds no significant noise. I am looking at these two fans:

Scythe "Mini Kaze" 40mm Silent Mini Fan (SY124010L):

Scythe "Mini Kaze" SY124010L

What do you think?

rdhood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Yeah, I do want something nearly silent. I went with the Scythe Mini Kaze. It's Scythe, and its quiet, and it's cheap ($4). It only puts out about 5cfm, but maybe that's all I need. I am going to mount it to the current heat sink (which seems pretty beefy as-is) and test. It should be here Fri or Monday.

I am reluctant to go to an aftermarket cooler, and really dont want to pull the motherboard. Thus, I'll give the cheap/easy/quiet option a try first.

rdhood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Reposting what I wrote in another post....

Well, the Mini Kaze came Saturday, and I was able to play around with it.

first, I used a small rubber band to mount. The stock HS has a "T" shaped fin at either end of the middle bar. I hooked the rubber band around either end and slid the Mini Kaze under the rubber band next to the heat sink. Now that I know this works, I'll replace the rubber band with o-ring for long term use. If someone hosts it, I'll send a picture. I plugged it in on the NB fan connector (Hmm... why a NB fan connector if they did not put a fan on the NB?).

Without the fan, the heat sink gets *almost* finger-burning hot.
With the fan, it gets warm... probably no more than 37-40C.
Its at least a 10-20C drop . Now, that doesn't tell me what the chip temperature is, but at least the heat sink isn't scary-hot.

The Mini Kaze itself is inaudible. As soon as newegg has them back in, I am going to pick up a few more for replacement in some hard drive housings that I have.

rdhood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Hi archae86,

I got your IM, but dont have an email address. pm me and I'll send some pics.

Additional info: I tried fitting an o-ring in there, and it is just too wide! So I doubled up the rubber band. A rubber band holds it securely, but I doubled it up in case one gives up!

I also noticed that the heat sink that came on my Northbridge is NOT the same as seen in many articles, or on the display boards at Fry's. The old HS is curvy and looks pretty cool. My Heat sink has straight fins and is not as fancy as the others. You'll see as soon as I add pics.

Edit: Here are pics. One is the HS without the fan (its laying over to the side) The other is with the fan. This is a 3.3 version DS3:

DSC_4694_resized.jpg

DSC_4695_resized.jpg