Sign in with
Your question

Low Profile Video Cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 5, 2007 8:13:05 PM

I wonder if someone can help me out. I have one of those tiny HP desktop PC's adn the video card bites. I am looking to make it a home theatre PC and hook it up to my plasma display. Now it has a tiny PCI modem in it right now with on-board video. I have taken the modem out do to not needing it and I am wanting to buy a PCI video card that supports HDTV and has a DVI out ofcourse. Now my problem is finding a tiny PCI video card, I have seen "LOW PROFILE " video cards out there but is this what I am looking for???? I dont want to spend the money on something that I cannot fit into this tiny box. PLEASE HELP!!!! :?:
March 5, 2007 11:43:10 PM

Thanks a bunch. Now I have one more question. Will my PSU be able to support the first card that is listed? I would only be using it for the Onboard nic, audio and for the memory, CD/DVD burner and HD. Think it is rated for 150 watts or something close to that.
Related resources
March 6, 2007 12:00:09 AM

pretty shure
March 6, 2007 12:39:40 AM

i just want to know if u have a pci express port x16 , if not (i am pretty sure ) you cant use the ati video card , Pci and Pci-e its a lot diferent
March 6, 2007 12:53:23 AM

Might be pushing it on a 150 watt PSU with the 1600Pro...unless the low profile version doesn't use as much power as the regular one, I am unsure.
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2007 1:36:53 AM

Quote:
I am wanting to buy a PCI video card that supports HDTV and has a DVI out ofcourse.

If it's a PCI slot and not PCI-Express 16X (PCIe 16x), then you'll need another card.

Best thing for you to do would be to post a shot of the MoBo, but until then here's the two best options IMO, but high end HD support will be somewhat weak;

PCI;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Or if it's a PCIe-1X slot;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

That X1550 would be a nice balance if you have a PCIe 1X, but likely it's just a PCI slot so you have to go with the first one.

BTW, this may help you figure out the slots;
March 6, 2007 9:37:47 AM

No it is just a PCI. Its one of those slimline HP's that they have. Ofcourse I just hooked this thing back up and have now realized that the onboard NIC has craped the bed and that will take up my slot unless I use a wireless USB adapter that will be a HUGE bottleneck for the media server though.
!