ECS K7S5A Windows 2000 Issue

OK I have searched the boards and I don't see where anyone has found
an actual solution to this.

I have an 80GB IDE HDD with Win2K SP3 loaded on it. I have an ECS
Mobo with PC100 512MB of ram installed (two sticks). I have an ATI
Rage 128 Video card installed.

Here ios the issue, I tried starting from scratch and getting a system
running but to no avail so I used another machine to get the Win 2K on
the (new) HDD. Still the saem,
the system runs through boot up and then it blue screens with the
following message
STOP: 0x00000067 (0x00000004, 0x00000007, 0x00000000)
CONFIG_INITIALIZATION_FAILED
I have the FSB settings at 100/100 as they won't work at any other
setting.
3 answers Last reply
More about k7s5a windows 2000 issue

    You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
    ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the Windows 2000
    setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
    inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection,
    and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to
    insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
    controller in drive "A"

    If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
    late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
    resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Donal Waide" <donal@crs-its.com> wrote in message
    > OK I have searched the boards and I don't see where anyone has found
    > an actual solution to this.
    >
    > I have an 80GB IDE HDD with Win2K SP3 loaded on it. I have an ECS
    > Mobo with PC100 512MB of ram installed (two sticks). I have an ATI
    > Rage 128 Video card installed.
    >
    > Here ios the issue, I tried starting from scratch and getting a system
    > running but to no avail so I used another machine to get the Win 2K on
    > the (new) HDD. Still the saem,
    > the system runs through boot up and then it blue screens with the
    > following message
    > STOP: 0x00000067 (0x00000004, 0x00000007, 0x00000000)
    > CONFIG_INITIALIZATION_FAILED
    > I have the FSB settings at 100/100 as they won't work at any other
    > setting.

    you only have a small chance of using a drive where win2k was installed
    on another machine

    at this point you can try booting with the cd
    and performing a repair installation

    Donal Waide wrote:
    > OK I have searched the boards and I don't see where anyone has found
    > an actual solution to this.
    >
    > I have an 80GB IDE HDD with Win2K SP3 loaded on it. I have an ECS
    > Mobo with PC100 512MB of ram installed (two sticks). I have an ATI
    > Rage 128 Video card installed.
    >
    > Here ios the issue, I tried starting from scratch and getting a
    > system
    > running but to no avail so I used another machine to get the Win 2K
    > on
    > the (new) HDD. Still the saem,
    > the system runs through boot up and then it blue screens with the
    > following message
    > STOP: 0x00000067 (0x00000004, 0x00000007, 0x00000000)
    > CONFIG_INITIALIZATION_FAILED
    > I have the FSB settings at 100/100 as they won't work at any other
    > setting.

    You cannot install Win2K on one computer, transfer the hard drive
    to a new computer, and reasonably expect it to work, unless the two
    computers are _identical_.

    Normally, unless the new motherboard is virtually identical to the
    old one (same chipset, IDE controllers, etc), you'll most likely need
    to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the
    very least (and don't forget to reinstall any service packs and
    subsequent hot fixes):

    How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175

    What an In-Place Win2K Upgrade Changes and What It Doesn't
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

    If that fails:

    How to Move a Windows 2000 Installation to Different Hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q249694&ID=KB;EN-US;Q249694

    I do know from personal experience that that specific model
    motherboard will support Win2K flawlessly, provided that it is not
    defective, and that all other components are also functioning properly
    and are fully Win2K-compatibile.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: