Sign in with
Your question

New build, advice and critique requested

Last response: in Systems
March 5, 2007 8:29:44 PM

Hello guys, I know it is kind of last minute for this but...

I am ordering some parts later tonight for a pc upgrade / build and figured I would seek some input on my choices.

I am fairly set on the following:
PSU: Antec NeoHE 550
CPU: Core 2 Duo E6300
RAM: Corsair XMS2 (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 CAS 4
Video: Foxconn GeForce 8800GTS 320MB OC version

A bit undecided on the following:
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3
Case: No clue, something cheap like
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

What are the differences in the intel 975P and the 965P chipsets? Is there a better motherboard for me? Will a cheap case like that one accommodate the 8800GTS?

I *may* overclock this machine one day, but this is not a priority. I have not really had an interest in running a SLI machine since my dual Voodoo2 setup. Any help would be appreciated.
March 5, 2007 10:55:46 PM

Quote:
Hello guys, I know it is kind of last minute for this but...

I am ordering some parts later tonight for a pc upgrade / build and figured I would seek some input on my choices.

I am fairly set on the following:
PSU: Antec NeoHE 550

A fine PSU choice.

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6300

Solid CPU.

RAM: Corsair XMS2 (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 CAS 4

Pretty strong RAM.

What resolution will you be gaming at? What sort of games?

A bit undecided on the following:
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3

The durability is nice if you intend to overclock. If not, then the S3 should be sufficient.

Case: No clue, something cheap like
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Solid case for the price, I suppose. Can't beat free shipping on cases.

What are the differences in the intel 975P and the 965P chipsets?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets#9xx...
It seems to have Crossfire support.

Is there a better motherboard for me?

If you want to save a few bones, possibly the S3.

Will a cheap case like that one accommodate the 8800GTS?

I *may* overclock this machine one day, but this is not a priority. I have not really had an interest in running a SLI machine since my dual Voodoo2 setup. Any help would be appreciated.
March 6, 2007 12:17:26 AM

Quote:

What resolution will you be gaming at? What sort of games?

I will be playing at 1680x1050 resolution (Dell 2005FPW). The most demanding game I play at the moment is Vanguard. I get fairly good performance with balanced settings at this resolution using an Athlon 64 3000+ with 2 gigs ram and a Radeon X800 256 meg. Other than that I play a little CS:S when the mood strikes.

I didnt mention it in my earlier post but I will be running my current drives in the new system (sata 7200.10 segates and a NEC DVDRW).

I appreciate the feedback Sanji.
Related resources
March 6, 2007 12:39:29 AM

It seems like at that resolution with maximum quality & all those AA & AF goodies the GTS may struggle a little bit to keep above 60 fps with new games. (Just looking at the VGA charts.)

If you're content either A. Gaming at a lower res or B. gaming with non-maximum quality when newer and faster games come out, I think you're set. I'm no expert, but I feel that maybe 50-100 fps can be expected at that resolution with newer games. Remember, the charts were done with dual FX-60, which does outrank the E6300. Don't expect to be running Oblivion outdoors at 50fps at higher resolutions, though.

Overall, it looks like a solid rig.
March 6, 2007 12:41:27 AM

A Cooler Master Centurion will run you for around ~40$. It's a fine, solid case to work in.
March 6, 2007 1:08:42 AM

Quote:
A Cooler Master Centurion will run you for around ~40$. It's a fine, solid case to work in.

I agree. It's a good case for the money.

At Newegg, you're looking at $45-$50 or so with a $16 shipping.

The Rosewill you had is $40 with $0 shipping.

Ask yourself is you'd rather get the Rosewill for $20-$25 cheaper or go for the Centurion :) 
March 6, 2007 1:23:03 AM

go for another video card brand instead of Foxconn, i believe they won't have any support in the united states and i have read about people having a lot of issues with their products in the past. Try XFX, eVGA, or BFG instead (the only difference is in brand name and warranty, which im sure you'll want)
March 6, 2007 2:57:17 AM

Quote:
It seems like at that resolution with maximum quality & all those AA & AF goodies the GTS may struggle a little bit to keep above 60 fps with new games. (Just looking at the VGA charts.)

If you're content either A. Gaming at a lower res or B. gaming with non-maximum quality when newer and faster games come out, I think you're set. I'm no expert, but I feel that maybe 50-100 fps can be expected at that resolution with newer games. Remember, the charts were done with dual FX-60, which does outrank the E6300. Don't expect to be running Oblivion outdoors at 50fps at higher resolutions, though.

I will probably turn down some of the settings when needed. I would love to grab a 8800GTX but I got a new car couple months ago and need to pay for it before I buy other toys

Quote:

I will consider it. I just searched newegg for free shipping cases to get rid of the $16 dollar "hidden" cost and see what they had.

Quote:

go for another video card brand instead of Foxconn, i believe they won't have any support in the united states and i have read about people having a lot of issues with their products in the past. Try XFX, eVGA, or BFG instead (the only difference is in brand name and warranty, which im sure you'll want)

I was considering the EVGA clocked at 575 / 1700 for about the same price. Plus I get a copy of Supreme Commander if I pick that card. The other card I considered was the XFX 320mb with the 580 / 1800 clock. A little more cash, but nothing breaking the bank.
March 6, 2007 3:55:44 AM

Quote:

I will probably turn down some of the settings when needed. I would love to grab a 8800GTX but I got a new car couple months ago and need to pay for it before I buy other toys

I agree fully :D .

Quote:

I will consider it. I just searched newegg for free shipping cases to get rid of the $16 dollar "hidden" cost and see what they had.

The free shipping is definitely what makes the Rosewill attractive.
March 6, 2007 8:46:31 PM

Everything has been ordered. I hope it will arrive Friday, but with the processing time I am sure they will wait until Thursday to send my stuff out "2 Day FedEx" and it will arrive Monday or later.

I ended up getting the following:

Core 2 Duo E6300
Antec NeoHE 550W
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
Corsair XMS2 (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 CAS 4
eVGA GeForce 8800GTS Superclocked (576 / 1700)
CoolMax CS-480 Case

$90 in rebates total that I will submit and hopefully receive
Supreme Commander (free)
Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter (free)

I managed to come in under $1000 before rebates and after shipping, a little more than what I wanted to spend but not much. Has anyone ever used the eVGA tradeup program? I will register my card and if I find some extra money in the couch in the next couple of months I may upgrade the video card to a 640 meg GTS or a GTX (if i find lots of money).

Thanks for the peer check on my choices, I appreciate the feedback.
!