Decommission a server with AD installed

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
October 27, 2004 3:06:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Hi

I have 3 Win 2k machines all with AD installed. I want to remove one of the
servers for good.

What steps should I take in order to do this successfully.

Here is my configuration:

Server A - runs DNS
Server B - runs DHCP and Global Catalog(how do I check this)
Server C - runs Exchange 2000

Thanks
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 3:06:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Which server are you decommissioning? That makes a huge difference in how
you will proceed.

"Newbie" <noidea@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have 3 Win 2k machines all with AD installed. I want to remove one of
> the
> servers for good.
>
> What steps should I take in order to do this successfully.
>
> Here is my configuration:
>
> Server A - runs DNS
> Server B - runs DHCP and Global Catalog(how do I check this)
> Server C - runs Exchange 2000
>
> Thanks

October 27, 2004 3:47:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Sorry - Server A is the one that is being decommissioned
news:o wQ0OGBvEHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Which server are you decommissioning? That makes a huge difference in how
> you will proceed.

> * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
> * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
>

> "Newbie" <noidea@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I have 3 Win 2k machines all with AD installed. I want to remove one of
> > the
> > servers for good.
> >
> > What steps should I take in order to do this successfully.
> >
> > Here is my configuration:
> >
> > Server A - runs DNS
> > Server B - runs DHCP and Global Catalog(how do I check this)
> > Server C - runs Exchange 2000
> >
> > Thanks

Related resources
October 27, 2004 6:24:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

The server that I want to decommission is listed as the RID, PDC, and
Infrastructure FSMO Holder. It is also the Schema FSMO holder. I assume
this will need to be changed somehow?

> Sorry - Server A is the one that is being decommissioned
> "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
> news:o wQ0OGBvEHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > Which server are you decommissioning? That makes a huge difference in
how
> > you will proceed.
> >
> > --
> > Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
> > * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
> > * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
> > * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
> > * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "Newbie" <noidea@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I have 3 Win 2k machines all with AD installed. I want to remove one
of
> > > the
> > > servers for good.
> > >
> > > What steps should I take in order to do this successfully.
> > >
> > > Here is my configuration:
> > >
> > > Server A - runs DNS
> > > Server B - runs DHCP and Global Catalog(how do I check this)
> > > Server C - runs Exchange 2000
> > >
> > > Thanks

Anonymous
October 27, 2004 6:24:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

You may want to use this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255690

"Newbie" wrote:

> The server that I want to decommission is listed as the RID, PDC, and
> Infrastructure FSMO Holder. It is also the Schema FSMO holder. I assume
> this will need to be changed somehow?
>

> "Newbie" <noidea@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry - Server A is the one that is being decommissioned
> > "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
> > news:o wQ0OGBvEHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > > Which server are you decommissioning? That makes a huge difference in
> how
> > > you will proceed.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
> > > * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
> > > * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
> > > * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
> > > * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > >

> > > "Newbie" <noidea@nospam.com> wrote in message

> of

Anonymous
October 28, 2004 12:24:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Yes, you will need to take care of a couple things:

First, you need to get DNS running on another server.

Second, you need to use DHCP to push the new DNS server settings to all your
clients. Set the DNS server option in the scope options then release and
renew all clients.

Third, if you don't care where the FSMO roles wind up, you can simply run
DCPROMO.EXE on the A server and retire it. The FSMO roles will be
transferred to other servers. But if you do care where they wind up, see
this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255690

As for the Global Catalog, read here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313994

"Newbie" <noidea@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:o hIRNhCvEHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> The server that I want to decommission is listed as the RID, PDC, and
> Infrastructure FSMO Holder. It is also the Schema FSMO holder. I assume
> this will need to be changed somehow?
>

> "Newbie" <noidea@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Sorry - Server A is the one that is being decommissioned
>> "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
>> news:o wQ0OGBvEHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> > Which server are you decommissioning? That makes a huge difference in
> how
>> > you will proceed.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
>> > * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
>> > * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
>> > * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
>> > * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> >

>> > "Newbie" <noidea@nospam.com> wrote in message

> of