AMD 939 over AM2 Prices

MEGAWATTZ2000

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
I have a small question ...
If indeed 939 is going out of production why are the prices sometimes $100-200 dollars more than a AM2 socket chip. I would think they would sell the soon to be phased or if already phased out chips cheaper to get rid of them ....

tekzor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I have a small question ...
If indeed 939 is going out of production why are the prices sometimes $100-200 dollars more than a AM2 socket chip. I would think they would sell the soon to be phased or if already phased out chips cheaper to get rid of them ....

Since when was old hardware cheap?
SDRAM still costs more then DDRAM for a reason.
lalala...........

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
New pinout=new MB and RAM....which =MUCH more $$ spent besides buying the CPU.

939 is far from dead and upgrading a 939 MB is very cost effective.
Boxed Optron 146's sold for $77 USD last week and the ones I have all run at 2.95Ghz (950Mhz OC) on stock volts.

A boxed Optron 150 right now can be shipped to your door (in the US) for $209 compleat price and can hit about any OC that an FX-57 can given same PSU and cooling.

Swapping out your PC-3200 RAM to PC-4000 and setting up the HT for it gives you an instant 20% OC...without even OC the RAM (unless you have a bargain MB).

2 GB PC-4000 sets have also come down in price over the past year and tend to run @ 3.4.4.8 T1 befor you "tweek" them...not bad for the speed and size of the ram.
I like the G.Skill HZ's over the others like Corsair or OCZ.

I would avoid AM2 for the cost vrs preformance right now.
An upgraded 939 will last for a few years (as in more than 3-4) befor an upgrade based on what I would -really- expect software to require a hardware update. By that point in time AM2 will probibly not even be an option to even think about.

At this point in time an upgrade to 2 core (AMD or Intel) is about as useless as a 64 bit OS....almost nothing uses either and by the time it does todays hardware will be old hat and a penny-a-pound so to speak.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Sorry to burst your bubble but 939 is dead. AMD has already announced that they are no longer producing socket 939 chips. The CPUs and Motherboards for 939 that are on the market right now are all there will be. Maximum PC Magazine did a nice little obituary for socket 939. I believe it was the January or February issue.

I was talking about upgrading a 939 system a person might already own.
In such a case right now you can get a very effective bang for your buck.

I have no doubt that given the cost of not needing to buy all the new MB/CPU/RAM/GFX/PSU and moniter that any such upgraded system will run most anything a home user could run for years to come untill parts failure or a real life need for hardware forced by the majority of software sold.

If a person already owns an "older" 939 and was thinking of "something better" right now is a good time to get an Optron and RAM upgrade that will carry them for years for very little money....while they can do so.

The same would apply to older Intel units as prices on some good value CPU's have dropped.

Funny how when we think of "old hardware" we are often talking about items no older than three years and often a CPU upgrade to high end on those systems replace parts whose "then" costs a person might build a whole system for today.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
OT, but only slightly. I've got a 3700+, and can get an opty 180 here in AUS for 407.00. I can't seem to find any benchmarks with opty's and the other AMD chips.

So the question is, how much would I gain in processor performance from this upgrade?