hard drive is not recognized by the operating system

Win2000 Pro hanged because 2000>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe was missing or
coruppted.
I made the 4 floppies from the original Win200 CD, booted, inserted original
CD. It asked me for an Emergency Repair Disk which I don't have. So I tried
reinstalling Win2000 Pro. Now I'm stuck: hard drive is not recognized by the
operating system.
I tried a diagnostic tool (PowerMax), Power connection,Interface
cable,Master/slave Jumpers all passed. All other tests FAIL.
Please help.... pretty desparate.
18 answers Last reply
More about hard drive recognized operating system

    You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
    ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the Windows 2000
    setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
    inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection,
    and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to
    insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
    controller in drive "A"

    If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
    late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
    resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "havingtroble" wrote:
    | Win2000 Pro hanged because 2000>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe was missing or
    | coruppted.
    | I made the 4 floppies from the original Win200 CD, booted, inserted
    original
    | CD. It asked me for an Emergency Repair Disk which I don't have. So I
    tried
    | reinstalling Win2000 Pro. Now I'm stuck: hard drive is not recognized by
    the
    | operating system.
    | I tried a diagnostic tool (PowerMax), Power connection,Interface
    | cable,Master/slave Jumpers all passed. All other tests FAIL.
    | Please help.... pretty desparate.

    Tkx for your help Dave, but no luck. I booted from the first floppy,
    (pressed F6 at the point it said on the bottom of the screen) but it went
    ahead asking me for the other 3 floppies. After that it asked for my Win2000
    CD, and then I got a message saying no HD was installed and had to abort
    instalation. The only thing I'm able to do is enter setup with "DEL", do I
    have to change anything in the BIOS? Pls tell me if there's anyway I can do a
    fresh install even if I loose all I have on the HD. Tkx again.
    havingtroble

    "havingtroble" <havingtroble@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Win2000 Pro hanged because 2000>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe was missing or
    > coruppted.
    > I made the 4 floppies from the original Win200 CD, booted, inserted
    original
    > CD. It asked me for an Emergency Repair Disk which I don't have. So I
    tried
    > reinstalling Win2000 Pro. Now I'm stuck: hard drive is not recognized by
    the
    > operating system.
    > I tried a diagnostic tool (PowerMax), Power connection,Interface
    > cable,Master/slave Jumpers all passed. All other tests FAIL.
    > Please help.... pretty desparate.

    Here are a few tools that can be used to restore lost partitions:

    http://www.restorer2000.com/r2k.htm (to restore NTFS partitions - seems to
    work well)
    http://www.hddrecovery.com.au
    http://bootmaster.filerecovery.biz (has NTFS undelete tools too)
    http://www.runtime.org/ (GetDataBack)
    www.acronis.com (RecoveryExpert)

    Tkx so much for your help, but no luck. I tried BootMaster Plus from
    http://bootmaster.filerecovery.biz/ but dsnt do anything since it cant "see"
    the hard drive. Pls tell me if the's anything I can do so HD can be
    recognized so I can do a fresh installation, don't care if I loose all the
    data I have on the hard disck. Tkx again

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

    > "havingtroble" <havingtroble@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Win2000 Pro hanged because 2000>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe was missing or
    > > coruppted.
    > > I made the 4 floppies from the original Win200 CD, booted, inserted
    > original
    > > CD. It asked me for an Emergency Repair Disk which I don't have. So I
    > tried
    > > reinstalling Win2000 Pro. Now I'm stuck: hard drive is not recognized by
    > the
    > > operating system.
    > > I tried a diagnostic tool (PowerMax), Power connection,Interface
    > > cable,Master/slave Jumpers all passed. All other tests FAIL.
    > > Please help.... pretty desparate.
    >
    > Here are a few tools that can be used to restore lost partitions:
    >
    > http://www.restorer2000.com/r2k.htm (to restore NTFS partitions - seems to
    > work well)
    > http://www.hddrecovery.com.au
    > http://bootmaster.filerecovery.biz (has NTFS undelete tools too)
    > http://www.runtime.org/ (GetDataBack)
    > www.acronis.com (RecoveryExpert)

    What drive controller? Is the controller and drive connected to it
    recognized at POST?

    --

    "havingtroble" wrote:
    | Tkx for your help Dave, but no luck. I booted from the first floppy,
    | (pressed F6 at the point it said on the bottom of the screen) but it went
    | ahead asking me for the other 3 floppies. After that it asked for my
    Win2000
    | CD, and then I got a message saying no HD was installed and had to abort
    | instalation. The only thing I'm able to do is enter setup with "DEL", do I
    | have to change anything in the BIOS? Pls tell me if there's anyway I can
    do a
    | fresh install even if I loose all I have on the HD. Tkx again.
    | havingtroble
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Try getting a Windows PE and boot the system using a CD-ROM, use the
    "DISKPART" utility to check/activate/re-create your disk partitions.
    --
    Lawrence Tse
    MCT, MCSE:Messaging, MCSA:Messaging, MCDBA, MCSD, MCSE+Internet, MCP+Site
    "havingtroble" <havingtroble@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Win2000 Pro hanged because 2000>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe was missing or
    > coruppted.
    > I made the 4 floppies from the original Win200 CD, booted, inserted
    original
    > CD. It asked me for an Emergency Repair Disk which I don't have. So I
    tried
    > reinstalling Win2000 Pro. Now I'm stuck: hard drive is not recognized by
    the
    > operating system.
    > I tried a diagnostic tool (PowerMax), Power connection,Interface
    > cable,Master/slave Jumpers all passed. All other tests FAIL.
    > Please help.... pretty desparate.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Thanks for your time and patience. All I can tell you is:
    CMOS setup, IDE Primary Master gives me:
    Maxtor Proxima Firmware YAH814YZ (can't find this on Maxtor site)
    Capacity 20498
    Cylinder 39715
    Head 16
    Precomp 0
    Sector 63
    I read on a data recovery site that if you see "Proxima" on BIOS screen it
    means the drive can't be recognized by BIOS. True?
    Do I have to open the computer to see the drive?
    Tkx again.

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > What drive controller? Is the controller and drive connected to it
    > recognized at POST?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "havingtroble" wrote:
    > | Tkx for your help Dave, but no luck. I booted from the first floppy,
    > | (pressed F6 at the point it said on the bottom of the screen) but it went
    > | ahead asking me for the other 3 floppies. After that it asked for my
    > Win2000
    > | CD, and then I got a message saying no HD was installed and had to abort
    > | instalation. The only thing I'm able to do is enter setup with "DEL", do I
    > | have to change anything in the BIOS? Pls tell me if there's anyway I can
    > do a
    > | fresh install even if I loose all I have on the HD. Tkx again.
    > | havingtroble

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    tkx, will try and let you know

    "Lawrence Tse" wrote:

    > Try getting a Windows PE and boot the system using a CD-ROM, use the
    > "DISKPART" utility to check/activate/re-create your disk partitions.
    > --
    > Lawrence Tse
    > MCT, MCSE:Messaging, MCSA:Messaging, MCDBA, MCSD, MCSE+Internet, MCP+Site
    > Building
    > "havingtroble" <havingtroble@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Win2000 Pro hanged because 2000>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe was missing or
    > > coruppted.
    > > I made the 4 floppies from the original Win200 CD, booted, inserted
    > original
    > > CD. It asked me for an Emergency Repair Disk which I don't have. So I
    > tried
    > > reinstalling Win2000 Pro. Now I'm stuck: hard drive is not recognized by
    > the
    > > operating system.
    > > I tried a diagnostic tool (PowerMax), Power connection,Interface
    > > cable,Master/slave Jumpers all passed. All other tests FAIL.
    > > Please help.... pretty desparate.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    It seems your Subject line is incorrect: It's not that the operating
    system fails to recognise the hard disk but rather that your PC
    fails to recognise it. This means that it's a hardware issue, and
    should really be discussed in a hardware group.

    Anyway, here is what I would do in your situation:

    - Get an old disk (e.g. borrow one from your friendly computer
    dealer) and install it as a primary master. If the system cannot
    recognise it then you probably have a problem with your
    BIOS/motherboard/ribbon cable/power supply.

    - Install your disk as a slave disk in some other PC. If that
    PC cannot recognise it then you probably have a dead disk.

    > Tkx so much for your help, but no luck. I tried BootMaster Plus from
    > http://bootmaster.filerecovery.biz/ but dsnt do anything since it cant
    "see"
    > the hard drive. Pls tell me if the's anything I can do so HD can be
    > recognized so I can do a fresh installation, don't care if I loose all the
    > data I have on the hard disck. Tkx again
    >
    > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
    >

    > > "havingtroble" <havingtroble@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Win2000 Pro hanged because 2000>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe was missing or
    > > > coruppted.
    > > > I made the 4 floppies from the original Win200 CD, booted, inserted
    > > original
    > > > CD. It asked me for an Emergency Repair Disk which I don't have. So I
    > > tried
    > > > reinstalling Win2000 Pro. Now I'm stuck: hard drive is not recognized
    by
    > > the
    > > > operating system.
    > > > I tried a diagnostic tool (PowerMax), Power connection,Interface
    > > > cable,Master/slave Jumpers all passed. All other tests FAIL.
    > > > Please help.... pretty desparate.
    > >
    > > Here are a few tools that can be used to restore lost partitions:
    > >
    > > http://www.restorer2000.com/r2k.htm (to restore NTFS partitions - seems
    > > work well)
    > > http://www.hddrecovery.com.au
    > > http://bootmaster.filerecovery.biz (has NTFS undelete tools too)
    > > http://www.runtime.org/ (GetDataBack)
    > > www.acronis.com (RecoveryExpert)

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    What happens when you boot? The pc goes through POST. Is the controller and

    "havingtroble" wrote:
    | Thanks for your time and patience. All I can tell you is:
    | CMOS setup, IDE Primary Master gives me:
    | Maxtor Proxima Firmware YAH814YZ (can't find this on Maxtor site)
    | Capacity 20498
    | Cylinder 39715
    | Head 16
    | Precomp 0
    | Sector 63
    | I read on a data recovery site that if you see "Proxima" on BIOS screen it
    | means the drive can't be recognized by BIOS. True?
    | Do I have to open the computer to see the drive?
    | Tkx again.
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Hi,
    Here's what I get on the black screen when I boot:
    Phoenix-Award Bios v6.00PG .....
    L7VMM2 3.0 2/21/2033
    Main processor: AMD Athlon 100 MHZ
    Memory testing 262144K OK
    Primary Master: Maxtor Proxima YAH814YZ
    Primary slave: NONE
    Sec. Master: Creative CD
    Sec, Slave: Memorex CDRW/DVD

    PRIMARY MASTER HARD DISK FAIL

    F1 to continue, DEL to enter setup

    Does that answer your question? Thanks again and regards

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > What happens when you boot? The pc goes through POST. Is the controller and
    > drive connected to it recognized?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "havingtroble" wrote:
    > | Thanks for your time and patience. All I can tell you is:
    > | CMOS setup, IDE Primary Master gives me:
    > | Maxtor Proxima Firmware YAH814YZ (can't find this on Maxtor site)
    > | Capacity 20498
    > | Cylinder 39715
    > | Head 16
    > | Precomp 0
    > | Sector 63
    > | I read on a data recovery site that if you see "Proxima" on BIOS screen it
    > | means the drive can't be recognized by BIOS. True?
    > | Do I have to open the computer to see the drive?
    > | Tkx again.

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Hi, forgot to mention the drive is a serial ATA.
    Thanks.

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > What happens when you boot? The pc goes through POST. Is the controller and
    > drive connected to it recognized?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "havingtroble" wrote:
    > | Thanks for your time and patience. All I can tell you is:
    > | CMOS setup, IDE Primary Master gives me:
    > | Maxtor Proxima Firmware YAH814YZ (can't find this on Maxtor site)
    > | Capacity 20498
    > | Cylinder 39715
    > | Head 16
    > | Precomp 0
    > | Sector 63
    > | I read on a data recovery site that if you see "Proxima" on BIOS screen it
    > | means the drive can't be recognized by BIOS. True?
    > | Do I have to open the computer to see the drive?
    > | Tkx again.

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Yes it does. The drive has failed and or is improperly configured in cmos
    setup.

    --

    "havingtroble" wrote:
    | Hi,
    | Here's what I get on the black screen when I boot:
    | Phoenix-Award Bios v6.00PG .....
    | L7VMM2 3.0 2/21/2033
    | Main processor: AMD Athlon 100 MHZ
    | Memory testing 262144K OK
    | Primary Master: Maxtor Proxima YAH814YZ
    | Primary slave: NONE
    | Sec. Master: Creative CD
    | Sec, Slave: Memorex CDRW/DVD
    |
    | PRIMARY MASTER HARD DISK FAIL
    |
    | F1 to continue, DEL to enter setup
    |
    | Does that answer your question? Thanks again and regards
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    throw away drive? where can I look up right cmos config ?
    tkx

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Yes it does. The drive has failed and or is improperly configured in cmos
    > setup.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "havingtroble" wrote:
    > | Hi,
    > | Here's what I get on the black screen when I boot:
    > | Phoenix-Award Bios v6.00PG .....
    > | L7VMM2 3.0 2/21/2033
    > | Main processor: AMD Athlon 100 MHZ
    > | Memory testing 262144K OK
    > | Primary Master: Maxtor Proxima YAH814YZ
    > | Primary slave: NONE
    > | Sec. Master: Creative CD
    > | Sec, Slave: Memorex CDRW/DVD
    > |
    > | PRIMARY MASTER HARD DISK FAIL
    > |
    > | F1 to continue, DEL to enter setup
    > |
    > | Does that answer your question? Thanks again and regards

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Check your mobo manual. Generally setting to auto detect should work.

    --

    "havingtroble" wrote:
    | throw away drive? where can I look up right cmos config ?
    | tkx
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    is the bios set to boot from sata ?

    Geoff

    wrote in message
    > Hi, forgot to mention the drive is a serial ATA.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > "Dave Patrick" wrote:
    >
    > > What happens when you boot? The pc goes through POST. Is
    the controller and
    > > drive connected to it recognized?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in
    newsgroup.
    > > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    > >
    > > "havingtroble" wrote:
    > > | Thanks for your time and patience. All I can tell you
    is:
    > > | CMOS setup, IDE Primary Master gives me:
    > > | Maxtor Proxima Firmware YAH814YZ (can't find this on
    Maxtor site)
    > > | Capacity 20498
    > > | Cylinder 39715
    > > | Head 16
    > > | Precomp 0
    > > | Sector 63
    > > | I read on a data recovery site that if you see
    "Proxima" on BIOS screen it
    > > | means the drive can't be recognized by BIOS. True?
    > > | Do I have to open the computer to see the drive?
    > > | Tkx again.

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Hi,
    what's sata pls ?

    "Geoffw" wrote:

    > is the bios set to boot from sata ?
    >
    > Geoff
    >
    > "havingtroble" <havingtroble@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote in message
    > > Hi, forgot to mention the drive is a serial ATA.
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > "Dave Patrick" wrote:
    > >
    > > > What happens when you boot? The pc goes through POST. Is
    > the controller and
    > > > drive connected to it recognized?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Regards,
    > > >
    > > > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in
    > newsgroup.
    > > > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > > > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    > is:
    > Maxtor site)
    > "Proxima" on BIOS screen it

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    what you said your drive was ?

    serial ATA = SATA

    wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > what's sata pls ?
    >
    > "Geoffw" wrote:
    >
    > > is the bios set to boot from sata ?
    > >
    > > Geoff
    > >
    > > "havingtroble" <havingtroble@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > > wrote in message

    > > > Hi, forgot to mention the drive is a serial ATA.
    > > > Thanks.

    POST. Is
    > > the controller and

    > > newsgroup.