Sign in with
Your question

Centurion 5 Custimization

Last response: in Components
March 5, 2007 10:17:47 PM

Hey all.

I'm going to be purchasing the Centurion 5. If anyone out there has this case and has installed extra fans or swapped out the 120mm or 80mm for other fans with good results I'd love to hear how it worked out.

:?: How big of a fan can you install on the side duct

:?: Can you fit a 120mm on the side vent

:?: How loud is the front 80mm (rough dBA)

:?: Has anyone managed to get a fan into one of the 5.25" bays to pull air through the front

:?: Any other good suggestion/comments on cooling options
March 5, 2007 10:52:21 PM

Quote:
Hey all.

I'm going to be purchasing the Centurion 5. If anyone out there has this case and has installed extra fans or swapped out the 120mm or 80mm for other fans with good results I'd love to hear how it worked out.

:?: How big of a fan can you install on the side duct

:?: Can you fit a 120mm on the side vent

:?: How loud is the front 80mm (rough dBA)

:?: Has anyone managed to get a fan into one of the 5.25" bays to pull air through the front

:?: Any other good suggestion/comments on cooling options

yes i have replaced the front 80mm fan with an antec tri-cool
and the rear 120mm with a t.t. adjustable one.

there are no side fan mounts. unless you make one.

i would imagine that you will be pleased with the cent-5.

oh yeah it will hold an 8800gtx videocard.
March 6, 2007 12:52:40 AM

Check out the Scythe Kama Bay for the unused 5.25" bays.

have you considered modding the side panel to fit a 120mm? Get one of these chrome fan guard, they make nice templates for 120mm holes, just drill out the mount holes and outline the outer wire mesh. Dremel or drill pilot holes at 0/45/90/15/180/225/270/315 degrees and connect-the-dots with a jigsaw.

Maybe do the same with a blow hole mod (pimprig.com link), that should help out balance the intake/exhaust flow. They have a cool 80mm/92mm/120mm template as well if you don't get the wireframe fan guard.
Related resources
March 6, 2007 1:09:12 AM

Quote:
have you considered modding the side panel to fit a 120mm? Get one of these chrome fan guard, they make nice templates for 120mm holes, just drill out the mount holes and outline the outer wire mesh. Dremel or drill pilot holes at 0/45/90/15/180/225/270/315 degrees and connect-the-dots with a jigsaw.

no dont do that. use a plasmacutter like i did. :lol: 
March 6, 2007 1:20:34 AM

Thanks sirheck and doolittle, those are great ideas. I've already put the Kama Bay in the order cart :p  and I'm planning on drilling pilot holes for 120mm. Luckily the case already has a vent with holes drilled in the side.
March 6, 2007 5:11:54 AM

I have a centurion 5 and when I was looking at replacing the stock front 80mm fan I was looking at a Vantec Stealth rated at 28dBa. The stock fan was about the same for noise as far as I could tell. In the end I did not replace that fan.

I have been considering something to draw in through the 3 open drive bays I have. The new scythe ninja I put in today has helped get temps down into a reasonable level (my striker extreme seems to be running rather warm, I do not think it is the case at fault), so I'm not sure if I will pursue that or not.

The nice thing though is that with the mesh front, you could just jury rig a 120mm fan behind the bay panels and not have to worry about making it look pretty. I may still try it, but just putting my hand up to the bays I can feel the intake from the 2 120s in a row I have now (chassis + ninja) so I'm not sure it would really be necessary.

-dolynick
March 15, 2007 9:11:25 PM

I just got the Scythe Kama I had ordered and installed it into my Centurion 5 case. My system temp has dropped a good 10 C.

I also knocked my 80mm front fan (stock with the case) down to 60% duty cycle and the little buzzing whine is pretty much gone. The PC is pretty quiet now. It wasn't terribly loud before mind you, but the noise level has dropped noticeably.

Anyways, if you were looking for suggestions on cooling options for a Centurion 5, the Scythe Kama is highly recommended based on my experience with it. It cost me about $20 CAD plus shipping and it also matches the centurion's finish nearly perfectly to boot (black perforated aluminum mesh, have pics if you like).

-dolynick
March 16, 2007 3:43:18 AM

Centurion 5 has to be the most vastly overrated case I've ever seen. It's a fine case, not "bad" by any measure, but it doesn't have any great advantages over the competition either. The cooling design is merely decent, it's not any quieter than your average case, and the looks, while clean and efficient, are nothing special. I'm sure I could do better for fifty green, and much much better for twice the price.
March 16, 2007 3:51:57 AM

Quote:
Centurion 5 has to be the most vastly overrated case I've ever seen. It's a fine case, not "bad" by any measure, but it doesn't have any great advantages over the competition either. The cooling design is merely decent, it's not any quieter than your average case, and the looks, while clean and efficient, are nothing special. I'm sure I could do better for fifty green, and much much better for twice the price.

i have the cent 5. it is everything you say it is.
Quote:
It's a fine case, not "bad" by any measure,

Quote:
and the looks, while clean and efficient,

i got it for 50 bucks. (the antec was double the price)
i also got the antec sonattaII. (nice case).

but the cent. 5 is twice as durable. and cools about the same.
the cent.5 has better filtration too.
!