ntoskrnl.exe error on initial boot of install, SATA

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
November 4, 2004 2:39:04 AM

Hi, i'm making my first attempt at putting together a system with a SATA hdd.
Running a Soyo K8USA mobo, Hitachi 120gb SATA HDD (single hdd). I've gotten
updated ALI SATA drivers from soyo's website and install them during the
windows 2000 boot, partition the HDD into 2 60gig partitions, format the
first partition and attempt to install windows. Files seem to copy correctly,
however, after reboot I get hung at the starting windows screen, with an
error "Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or
corrupt <windows 2000 root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Please re-install a copy
o the above file."
I've tried initiating the install 5x now with the same response, once I
tried a fixboot from command prompt, the reboot resulted in a similar error,
but for HAL.dll.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 7:40:20 AM

You need a SATA driver for your Win2K during installation. Go download it
from SOYO:

http://www.soyousa.com/downloads/selectresults.php?lang...

Put the driver into a floppy disk If the extracted files are too big (it
may have multiple OS support), make sure TXTSETUP.OEM file is on root folder
of floppy and the Win2000 (or maybe something similar) is copied, then it
will be OK.

During setup initialize, press F6 when prompt for additional driver, put in
the driver floppy, and select the correct driver. It should resolve the
problem.
--
Lawrence Tse
MCT, MCSE:Messaging, MCSA:Messaging, MCDBA, MCSD, MCSE+Internet, MCP+Site
!