Sign in with
Your question

Memory Bank Error?

Last response: in Motherboards
March 5, 2007 11:00:30 PM

CPU parts in question:
- EVGA 122-CK-NF68-TR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
- LITE-ON 20X DVD±R Burner with 12X DVD-RAM write and LightScribe Technology Black IDE Model LH-20A1H-186
- OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory LAN PARTY Optimized Model OCZ2P800LP2GK

*Note* my tech level isn't so high, so try to bear with me >.<

Alright, so I just bought a new computer or rather a bunch of parts and assembled the computer on my own (for the first time); this worked rather flawlessly. I installed XP and all the drivers for the nessesary components, then some miscellaneous programs. It seemed as though everything was running great, which is uh... great.

Then I attempted using Nero to burn a video dvd, and after it encodes the video, it would give a memory read error, or a disc drive error. From here I started a bit of trouble shooting:
- First I checked for the most recent drivers. They were fine.
- Second I burned some other types of discs with some smaller files. The dvd burner worked fine.
- Third I tried burning the video dvd with just one of the 1 gig sticks of ram and it worked just fine, no errors.
(this ruled out the dvd burner being bad)
- Fourth I tried the same as the third with the other stick of ram, also fine.
(this ruled out a ram chip being bad)

The mother board allows for dual channel ram set up, and when the ram is set up in dual channel the memory read error seems to appear. The system seems to read 2 gigs of ram when they are both set up in dual channel, and im not sure how you tell if the dual channel set up is working correctly (I have the sticks set up correctly for dual channel).

Now I think the problem is down to Nero not being able to recognize or utilize dual layer, and a problem with the memory banks on the mother board. The next step may be to just run mem test 86 and see, but I dont know that that would tell me what I need to know.

The mother board is still on a 30 day return policy, so I guess to break this down into questions:

1.) Should I just return the mother board and see if they will replace it with a new one?
- &
2.) Does it sound like a memory bank error with the mother board?

Thanks in advance for any input, and if you need me to elaborate on anything please ask. I tried not to be too vague.

More about : memory bank error

March 6, 2007 2:09:40 PM

If everything is working fine with 2GB of RAM except when you try to burn a large video file using Nero, it could be a problem with Nero. Do you have any other video burning software installed, e.g., a video editing, capture, burning program? These programs do not play well together. Do you have the latest updates to your version of Nero? Have you tried any other video burning programs?
!