VPN server setup

I administer a small network at a non-profit organization and I was wanting
to set up a way to remotely access my network from home. Since this is non
profit I need to keep the cost at a minimum. I am running Windows Server 2000
Standard. I have been doing some research and I have come up with the
solution to make the only server in our domain a VPN server. My question, is
there a better solution to my problem? Is it a bad Idea to create a VPN
server on my only domain controller? And is it possible to run a vpn server
and radius server on the same box? Is there any sort of liscensing that I
will need to do this leagally? also what should my specs be for a server with
a load like this? at maximum I am expected to have 2 users using vpn access
at the same time. I only have 25 users on my entire network if that is
relevant. one last question do I need to set up a second network card to a
public IP address to accomplish this?

Thank you for your time and please provide any information that you can

Adam McCombs wrote:
> I administer a small network at a non-profit organization and I was
> wanting to set up a way to remotely access my network from home.
> Since this is non profit I need to keep the cost at a minimum. I am
> running Windows Server 2000 Standard. I have been doing some research
> and I have come up with the solution to make the only server in our
> domain a VPN server. My question, is there a better solution to my
> problem?

If it were me, I'd invest in a small firewall appliance that could handle
this, given that you have only one server. A lot easier and less error
prone.

> Is it a bad Idea to create a VPN server on my only domain
> controller? And is it possible to run a vpn server and radius server
> on the same box? Is there any sort of liscensing that I will need to
> do this leagally? also what should my specs be for a server with a
> load like this? at maximum I am expected to have 2 users using vpn
> access at the same time. I only have 25 users on my entire network
> if that is relevant. one last question do I need to set up a second
> network card to a public IP address to accomplish this?

You would, yes. But check out
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/FVS318.php and
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/VPN01L_VPN05L.php

Another option might be letting remote clients use Remote Desktop on any
WinXP Pro computers you have on your network....the PCs would have to be
'idle' at the time as XP allows for only one login at a time, but it might
work for you. And performance might be a lot better than accessing files
(particularly large-ish or database files) over a VPN connection. If you
have only one public IP, see
http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html