Sign in with
Your question

Thermalright Ultra 120

Last response: in Overclocking
March 5, 2007 11:49:50 PM

AnandTech has a review up, looks like the Ultra 120 is almost as good as the Tuniq Tower, the Tuniq only beats it by a few °C, and it completly destroys the Scythe Infinity. Its also alot cheaper.

http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=2941&p=1

I wonder why this thing isnt in more widespred use?

More about : thermalright ultra 120

March 6, 2007 12:41:15 AM

It's a very impressive cooler for sure. Recently it has been in stock but previously it was hard to find like the Tuniq Tower. I think it is a very popular cooler (not as much on Tom's as it is elsewhere) but it depends on the fan that you pair it with to determine the overall performance. I use all Scythe S-Flex fans like the one in the review and would like to see a pair in a push/pull at 5v on a Thermalright Ultra 8) Uber aircooling at nearly dead silent.

If I weren't a water cooling guy I would be using an Ultra 120 or Ultra 90.
March 6, 2007 12:47:23 AM

nice.
Related resources
March 6, 2007 1:17:10 AM

I want to see what it would be like with two Silverstone FM121's, they push about twice as much air as the S-Flex fans.

To bad there out of stock at newegg right now, i want to verify AnandTechs results. When there back in stock ill get one, it might even replace my Tuniq, since there almost identical performance wise, and its 53g lighter. My tuniq still scares me whenever i look at it mounted on my mobo. I keep thinking its going to snap my mobo, or just fall off and crush my video card. I know it wont happen since the thing is screwed on, but still, every gram counts.
March 6, 2007 1:23:19 AM

Wanted to get it but if I remember correctly, The Ultra 120 is taller than the Tuniq, so i had to go with the shorter si-128
March 6, 2007 1:41:09 AM

Its about 50mm taller. Not sure if it will fit in my case (the tuniq i cutting it close) but it might, ill measure it later.
March 6, 2007 1:48:53 AM

About the FM121 fans..

I use one (modded) on my Zalman 7700. Thinking I have more air going through it, it should run some what cooler. Well, it didn't for me.

By design, the copper is absorbing heat as fast and as much as it can (as well as release it), regardless in how much CFM my fan is doing for it.

So all I'm saying about it, 1 Fan should suffice. I wouldn't expect too much more for a 2nd. Just my opinion. If I'm wrong, well kewlio, that would be something to look forward in using for some great cooling on some perhaps hefty OC's. :D 
March 6, 2007 2:20:16 AM

Quote:
AnandTech has a review up, looks like the Ultra 120 is almost as good as the Tuniq Tower, the Tuniq only beats it by a few °C, and it completly destroys the Scythe Infinity. Its also alot cheaper.

Funny, I reported the same thing here a couple of months ago. The Ultra 120 is a very hugh quality unit and it's lighter and easier to install than the Tuniq. Then again, the Zalman 9700 is neck and neck with the Tuniq in terms of cooling performance and is also easier to install and much lighter. The Ultra 120 I have actually runs cooler than the 9700 and the Tuniq at idle to mid loads on an OC'ed Opty 170.
March 6, 2007 2:36:49 AM

I wonder how an Ultra 120 or Zalman 9700 would perform when mounted on something like a 1950xt? It would have to be modded, but still.
March 6, 2007 2:51:19 AM

Quote:
I wonder how an Ultra 120 or Zalman 9700 would perform when mounted on something like a 1950xt? It would have to be modded, but still.

The XP-120 would probably make more sense in terms of ease of fit.
March 6, 2007 3:39:50 AM

Yeah, probably. Anyone want to try it out? The XP-120 against the HR-03 against the Ultra 120. The dimensions are almost the same.

XP-120
L110 x W125 x H63

HR-03
L133 x W156 x H38

Ultra 120
L63.5 x W132 x H160.5

The HR-03 would probably win...
March 6, 2007 5:04:53 AM

Quote:
Yeah, probably. Anyone want to try it out? The XP-120 against the HR-03 against the Ultra 120. The dimensions are almost the same.

XP-120
L110 x W125 x H63

HR-03
L133 x W156 x H38

Ultra 120
L63.5 x W132 x H160.5

The HR-03 would probably win...

The XP supposedly doesn't cool quite as well as the Ultra bit the low profile should make it an easier fit. Post photos!
March 6, 2007 2:11:21 PM

"The problem with this design is that fans with a full post, which are most of the fans available in the lab, will not mount on the Ultra 120. You have to use a fan with holes instead of a full post. Fortunately two of the better fans that are available, the Noctua and the Scythe S-Flex, both use the 4-hole design."

I'm not sure what a fan with holes as compared to a full post one would mean.

Would it be possible to easily put that FM121 on without modding it?
March 6, 2007 2:35:06 PM

Quote:
"The problem with this design is that fans with a full post, which are most of the fans available in the lab, will not mount on the Ultra 120. You have to use a fan with holes instead of a full post. Fortunately two of the better fans that are available, the Noctua and the Scythe S-Flex, both use the 4-hole design."

I'm not sure what a fan with holes as compared to a full post one would mean.

Would it be possible to easily put that FM121 on without modding it?

Every fan I wanted to mount to my Ultra was trivial to mount. I'm assuming that your "four hole" refers to fans with one hole per corner. All my fans have one hole per corner and they are easy to mount. Not sure where the quote came from that you referred to as coming from me, but those are not my words.
March 6, 2007 3:07:47 PM

Its a great heatsink. Im happy with it.
March 6, 2007 3:37:21 PM

Sorry ClueLess, I hit the reply button for the wrong person =x Didn't mean for it to be intended on anything you said.

Just pulled that quote off the first anandtech page linked(about halfway down). Thought it was quite interesting. Thanks for the heads up though
March 6, 2007 6:41:14 PM

The Tuniq Tower 120 is in stock over at newegg once again. So... Um... Yeah...

Hmm... Since size is pretty much everything in the world of the hsf there should be a tuniq tower thats like 5 times the size of the current one. You wouldnt be able to put the pc in a case, and the mobo would have to be horizontal, but still, i bet that thing would be awesome.

BiG Tuinq: 655mm (W) x 540mm (H) x 765mm (D)
Small Tuinq: 131mm (W) x 108mm (H) x 153mm (D)

You could probably incorporate a small chilled liquid cooler inside the massive hsf as well, that way you could get temps below ambient.

Just the hsf would weight close to 9 pounds, so you might crush the core...
March 7, 2007 6:13:31 PM

Quote:
OH SNAP!!! The Tuniq isnt the best hsf on the market anymore, the Thermalright Ultra 120+ has stolen the crown!

http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=2943&p=1

Look at the benchies!

That's cool, but you know we're splitting hairs here. Hooray for Thermalright! Doing more with less is a good thing. Tuniq could learn by looking closely at the Ultra Plus.
March 7, 2007 7:05:37 PM

Tuniq needs a new product, the Tuniq Tower 120 has been around for almost 2 solid years, unchanged.
March 8, 2007 2:49:40 AM

I think the author meant a cylinder post between the two holes, rather than just two holes with no post. Most fans that I know have no post.
March 8, 2007 4:10:01 AM

Quote:
OH SNAP!!! The Tuniq isnt the best hsf on the market anymore, the Thermalright Ultra 120+ has stolen the crown!

Look at the benchies!

That's cool, but you know we're splitting hairs here. Hooray for Thermalright! Doing more with less is a good thing. Tuniq could learn by looking closely at the Ultra Plus.I don't know if i'd exactly call 6C cooler @ 3.90GHz splitting hairs. That's alot more efficient than the Tuniq or Ultra120(plain). I'm sure that this level of cooling won't be easy to beat with a good w/c setup. :D 
March 8, 2007 4:32:58 AM

I know you guys are going to hate me, but what about the Thermaltake Big Typhoon? It seems to be ignored by a lot of people, including that article. Just wondering, cause I'm using it and it is first rate. Anything that makes it not quite the friend of overclockers? I mean, besides its relatively rough surface when you get it which is solved by a ceramic based thermal compound, apparently.
March 8, 2007 5:23:15 AM

Well? Whats there to say about it? Its a decent cooler, a bunch of people use it. Awesome. But there isnt really anything to distinguish it from other coolers. Zalmans are mentioned alot because there overpriced. The Tuniq Tower 120 is mentioned because it(s) (was) the best air cooler on the market. The Ultra 120 gets talked about because its almost as good as the Tuniq. The 120+ because its better then the Tuniq. The Cooler Master GeminII because of its shear size. The Scythe Infinity because of modding. The Big Typhoon is good, but not the best, it doesnt have much going for it to make it stand out from other coolers.
March 12, 2007 3:21:43 PM

Quote:

Look at the benchies!

That's cool, but you know we're splitting hairs here. Hooray for Thermalright! Doing more with less is a good thing. Tuniq could learn by looking closely at the Ultra Plus.I don't know if i'd exactly call 6C cooler @ 3.90GHz splitting hairs. That's alot more efficient than the Tuniq or Ultra120(plain). I'm sure that this level of cooling won't be easy to beat with a good w/c setup. :D 

By splitting hairs, I meant the 3900 vs 3940 max OC spec on page 5. THAT, my friend, is splitting hairs but I'm not at all belittling what Thermalright has done. I've been promoting the Ultra 120 as my favorite but now I need to snag a Plus! The Tuniq has worked great for many people but by comparison, the Ultra is a much more elegant solution. Classy build quality.
March 13, 2007 3:28:56 AM

Quote:

Look at the benchies!

By splitting hairs, I meant the 3900 vs 3940 max OC spec on page 5. THAT, my friend, is splitting hairs but I'm not at all belittling what Thermalright has done. I've been promoting the Ultra 120 as my favorite but now I need to snag a Plus! The Tuniq has worked great for many people but by comparison, the Ultra is a much more elegant solution. Classy build quality.Yeah. Thermalright is all about performance and build quality... they aren't too concerned with how the HS/F looks(though i like their looks). I currently use an XP-120(s478) with NB1(i875). I also have an SLK-900A for my s370 machines(still cools well, even to this day). I may just consider the Ultra120+ when i move up to LGA775, but i see (on TR's website) that they have a new cooler... the IFX-14. This puppy will take 2x120 or 2x140mm fans 8O ...which aren't that plentiful yet. I want to see if this beast will outperform the Ultra120+ (i doubt it)...but if they put 6 heatpipes in it, it will be amazing. :wink:
March 14, 2007 4:05:09 AM

Quote:
but i see (on TR's website) that they have a new cooler... the IFX-14. This puppy will take 2x120 or 2x140mm fans 8O ...which aren't that plentiful yet. I want to see if this beast will outperform the Ultra120+ (i doubt it)...but if they put 6 heatpipes in it, it will be amazing. :wink:

That looks interesting! I need to see a price and a credible review.
!