Barracuda 7200.10 faster than Caviar SE?

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
People here on these forums keep recommending the 7200.10 over the WDs. It really annoys me because I feel inferior for buying the 320GB Caviar on Newegg over the more expensive Seagate. But then I read this Tom's review and wonder if I made the right decision. But then again we are talking milliseconds of performance here so do I really care or would I notice at all?

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
People here on these forums keep recommending the 7200.10 over the WDs. It really annoys me because I feel inferior for buying the 320GB Caviar on Newegg over the more expensive Seagate. But then I read this Tom's review and wonder if I made the right decision. But then again we are talking milliseconds of performance here so do I really care or would I notice at all?
The Seagate is a tad faster in most applications/benchmarks, but the WD is faster in some apps than the Seagate. Buying the WD is nothing to regret as the differences between the 2 are minor. The 5 year warranty with the Seagate is a nice touch. I have the 320GB 7200.10 SATA, and i was seriously considering the WD's(i have mostly WD drives)..but the Seagate's have been getting awesome reviews since their release, so i chose it.

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Sounds like I didn't do anything wrong after all, but what types of performance does the WD win in? I edit alot of video, so accessing large files on the HD is regular.

cattbert

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
THW just came out with a good story on hard drives:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/03/05/understanding-hard-drive-performance/index.html

Basically, my take on the story is that the performance difference between different model 7,200 rpm hard drives (of the newest generation) is minimal, so I would not feel bad for getting the WD as long as you got it for a decent price. I personally have had decent experiences with Seagate, WD and Maxtor (I know, lots of people report differently, but luckily lightning hasn't struck me :) )

the_vorlon

Distinguished
May 3, 2006

Other than the Raptors, which DO feel a tad faster in the real world, all the big name 7200 rpm drives will offer what is, effectively, the same performance in the real world.

I too buy a lot of Seagates for the 5 year warranty.

I have one Raptor (a 74 gig) in a code station, and it's a good drive, feels quick but it's also damn expensive for a 74 gig drive.

TRENDING THREADS