Desktop case......Good to go?????

fanfuzz

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
I'm another newbie who wants to built my own. One of the reasons I am willing to try is "Tom's Hardware" . I have learned much from reading the articles and from the many forums. I would also like to applaud the people who answer these posts, the people on these forumz seem very professional as well as knowledgeable. I have noticed many times people with an obvious high degree of knowledge disagree and still seem willing to continue adding input without attitude.

So much for blowin smoke.

My first question is on what form of case I should use. I have been reading about them for days and can't resist asking for a little input.

I know you will first want to hear what I'm trying to build. The computer will be my daughter and her husbands unit. Their use will be only the very basics of a home computer. But we don't want to let that stop us from pumping up. Right???

I want to be able to use an ATX motherboard but would prefer a smaller than "midtower"case. So my question is can I go with a "desktop"? This seems like a viable size case but as I read about them I keep seeing them refered to as Home theater units.

Am I missing anything??? I saw that the barebones or micro cases must use a micro motherboard and I'm sure this would actually exceed what the kids think they need. And they are right. But I don't like the idea of giving up the options a full size mother board offers. I say this because someone may decide they love gaming or some graphics related activity.

Anyway if anyone has some input I would really like to hear it as I am still investigating which way to go and I'm not locked into anything. Maybe a micro board is something I should be looking at.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to lok this over and maybe give me some input.

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
But I don't like the idea of giving up the options a full size mother board offers. I say this because someone may decide they love gaming or some graphics related activity.
I like your line of thinking.

Should probably ask what your budget is, first, but this is a nice, tidy desktop case from a well-reputed manufacturer (comes in black, too):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811163066

Read some of the user-reviews on the same site, to gain some awareness of some of its idiosyncrasies, but it will take a full atx. Note, it will require a separate power supply, but in a custom build, that's recommended, anyway. I wouldn't go much cheaper, due to build quality, but if you want to roll some more stones, I've got some other suggestions.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Why do want to use a smaller than mid-tower case? You make the job so much more of a hassle. I know it's smaller, but we're talking a few inches. This case is cheap and big enough for proper CPU HS and it has hard drive insulators. I've got one and it works great.

Antec Solution SLK3000-B Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail $55.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129152

Antec 761345-75024-0 120mm Blue LED Case Fan - Retail $13.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835209011

Darkchyld

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Hi Fanfuzz, You'll enjoy building your own, just do the research and these forums are a good place to ask questions.
I too have been looking for a "Desktop" type case and have come up empty! :x Mine however will be a gaming rigg, dual GPU's. I do have this case,Cooler Master CAV-T04 and it's really a good case but its TIGHT!. A full ATX MB, 1 optical drive and a HD are a tight fit in the case. The power supply is smaller than a standart one, right noe I've got an Antec mounted outside the case cause it won't fit in it. More details if you want.
DC

fanfuzz

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
Thanks all for the input. I have been looking at the Silverstone models. Look like good quality and have good reviews.

Zorg....I first started looking in this derection because I would like to set the monitor (LCD) on top of the case. I want to do this because the bigger case's (like my unit, GAzelle midtower) just seem to much in some situations. Some of the reviews I have read indicate many people are doing the same thing, and some case's are built with extra support down the center. With this in mind???

I know it will be flustrating at times due to space restrictions but I'm trying to decide if it might be worth the effort.

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Yes. The cross-brace provides monitor support and also reduces noise caused by vibration ("strumming," caused by resonance frequency), esp. in aluminum cases. The Lian-Li C30 case (a bit more expensive) also has the same feature, and a bit more room.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Thanks all for the input. I have been looking at the Silverstone models. Look like good quality and have good reviews.

Zorg....I first started looking in this derection because I would like to set the monitor (LCD) on top of the case. I want to do this because the bigger case's (like my unit, GAzelle midtower) just seem to much in some situations. Some of the reviews I have read indicate many people are doing the same thing, and some case's are built with extra support down the center. With this in mind???

I know it will be flustrating at times due to space restrictions but I'm trying to decide if it might be worth the effort.

Anything smaller than a mid-tower is too much like work for me, but if a smaller foot print is important then I hope it all fits without too much trouble.

Good luck